PDA

View Full Version : Q8o on the button 3 limpers i raise

knifeandfork
01-28-2005, 11:16 PM
take it from the above please no lectures about Q8o and limpers /images/graemlins/smile.gif
the game is the 1/2 at the Alladin its about par for the course with 4 players of avg or a little better skill for this level and 5 pretty fishy ones. maybe two of the four qualify as close to tough two are definitely tricky though.

utg (has already set up a loose image with a 24o button steal, intentional image play i believe) limps
MP2 a young fairly experienced california player (probably best or most dangerous at this table) limps
CO a texan that knows how to check raise thinking player but has stayed in line so far more or less) limps
im on the button with Q8o ive been here for less than an hour and have not reached showdown yet.
i raise to 10
5 callers
the blinds are fishy with one being to predictable but trying hard to play good and cant fold a hand and utlrafishy in the bb "i want to play like gus but i just call "
flop is a not too interesting 247r but there is a 60 pot we have to play:) might as well be mine right?
checked around to me i bet 20 straight folded back around to CO non fish that pushes in for his remaining ~60 so its forty to me (i have him covered about 150 behind at this point) with no pair and two over cards to the very low not very coordinated flop pick it up form here folks. there is some banter to and fro and i think he has picked up on the fact that i dont have much of a hand btw. thanks in advance for your responses, and thanks to matt for posting bisons guidelines i think they are excelent i hope i followed them a little at least.
jason

knifeandfork
01-29-2005, 12:08 AM
please pretty please 16 looks no response i think there is at least something we can learn here ..... even if its you suk and this is why ill take it

fimbulwinter
01-29-2005, 12:39 AM
preflop raise is terrible, especially in a live game. do it with 76s if you have to show how super good you are.

flop bet is weak, maligned and just plain horrible (you're thinking about calling all-in on a shortstack, so pot it to try and make him fold, unless you think he's bluffing with J high?). i'd guess you've got 3 clean outs if that. honestly i think calling and folding are close here, but you never should be in this position ever.

here's how you play this hand right:
fold preflop

fim

knifeandfork
01-29-2005, 01:11 AM
saying calling and folding are close doesnt give me much info. do you call for pure math and show q8o? or do you let it go knowing any potential ev you are giving up is regained by not ruining your table image? i dont want elix powers to see me calling this (or anyone really for that matter). calling el diablo ml4l etc come down from the mount and bless me with a response:)

knifeandfork
01-29-2005, 10:58 AM
ok i took a page from cero_z's posting book im the opponent in the hand. i had 5c9c very near a stone cold rebluff/steal (2c on board for backdoor). this was a table where i felt could double thru someone who had one pair with this type of crappy hand. getting almost 7-1 preflop i called the small raise to the see the previously mentioned dud of a flop. i felt the button was stealing the whole time, and after the measly twenty flop(1/3rd pot)and the been caught stealing smile he gave me, put us heads up i pushed~60. rate my play on a scale of 1-10 and how often do you think i would be successful. im short(buy in) because i just took a hit and am about to leave the game (but no it was a small hit beacuse i started short and im not steaming i promise). im doubtful my opponent read me well enough to think he had more that 3 outs i think he made an im willing to lose fourty bucks here and wait til the river to table my hand call he intended to wait at least for sure. in the end my pair draw +oesd i picked up on the turn was no good and my opponent pulled in a 100bb pot with q high. the best player at this table to my right then gave me a friendly you had him read right he had you better read needle(we had been chatty so i didint mind at all twas quite funny even) and it was good timing cause the guy i was waiting for just clocked out:) miller time babay. im guessing this hand is still not as interesting as i thought due to the lack of interest but i thought it was a situation that would come up often enough to merit a little discussion on the weight of reraising a perceived fishy when playing a short stack and you feel he has no pair and not much of a draw. this is the last chance i ll give this post its dead unless somebody else responds i promise. thanks for your time in advance im not dead yet
village idiot,
jason