PDA

View Full Version : Do you floss?

balkii
01-28-2005, 09:45 PM
I don't know very many young people who floss. (BTW we are talking about teeth here, not bling). I do it every day (well maybe like 13/14). I love the clean feeling on my teeth that you can only get with flossing. I also dont have dental insurance, but if you floss and brush regularly and properly, you dont really need. A checkup once a year paid out of pocket is plenty.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-28-2005, 10:23 PM
I floss 1-3 times a week. My teeth are pretty much made of fillings anyways.

BusterStacks
01-28-2005, 10:24 PM
I have never EVER seen you floss and I used to live with you. I call BS.

AncientPC
01-28-2005, 10:28 PM
No, and I have gingivitis or something, I'm scheduled for two "deep cleaning" visits at the dentist's. Go figure.

Bluffoon
01-28-2005, 10:30 PM
If I had to give up my floss or my toothbrush my toothbrush would go.

VBM
01-28-2005, 10:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I'm scheduled for two "deep cleaning" visits at the dentist's.

[/ QUOTE ]

i had two last year, and if there's a greater euphemism for anything, i've never heard it. Deep cleaning's are painful and bloody and i hated myself for not flossing...good luck A-PC...

MMMMMM
01-28-2005, 11:10 PM
Flossing is more important than brushing, as a form of dental care and preventive maintenance.

If you don't floss, you WILL have bad breath, regardless of how much you brush, or the brand of mouthwash you use.

If you don't floss, you WILL have bits of rotting food stuck between your teeth. Those rotting bits will become rotten bits.

I floss after every meal or snack when at home, and occasionally after occasional meals outside the home, too. It doesn't really take that long once you get a good system down and your mouth feels SO fresher immediately. Minimum for me is after breakfast and after the last meal of the day when on the road.

Would you want to carry around a bite of hamburger 20 days old from the dumpster, tucked neatly between your cheek and gum, like a wad of chewing tobacco? Pretty tasty, huh? Smells downright awesome too.

Well that's what you are doing if you don't floss, except that the bite of hamburger is in twenty little pieces and they are all rotting away between your teeth and gums.

Want to really get grossed out? If you don't floss, go ahead and floss right now. Bet the odor will knock your socks off as those bits of Gar-bage slide out of their hiding places. Just be sure not to swallow any of them, though, and rinse well after you spit them out or snap them off your floss string.

So wake up and smell the...garbage. Your breath truly stinks if you are not a regular flosser (at least once a day). Maybe your best friends won't tell you, but M will. Don't say M never did you any favors.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-28-2005, 11:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I started flossing about 8 months ago.

Before that it was once before the dentist.

nolanfan34
01-28-2005, 11:37 PM
My wife is finishing dental hygiene school this year. That should make my answer obvious.

MMMMMM is right though. Flossing is probably more important than brushing. It's a downward spiral too if you don't - it hurts when you go to the dentist if you don't, so then you don't go to the dentist, and your teeth get bad, and then it really hurts to get a root canal.....and on, and on.

So, floss, people.

fnord_too
01-28-2005, 11:42 PM
Man, I floss once a day but now I don't even feel good about that.

Duke
01-28-2005, 11:43 PM
I thought this thread was about showing off.

~D

balkii
01-29-2005, 12:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah man dont front. you dont even brush your teeth at night. you wait till the next morning

SomethingClever
01-29-2005, 12:02 AM
I be tossin' and flossin' my style is awesome.

Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-29-2005, 01:01 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah man dont front. you dont even brush your teeth at night. you wait till the next morning

[/ QUOTE ]

This was before my dentist told me i had a lot of "calculus". not sure what that is, but ive been avoiding calculus since HS.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-29-2005, 01:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

On a side note, my teeth look WAY beter than yours. And i smoke and drink coffee. I also dont drool.

eric5148
01-29-2005, 02:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Flossing is more important than brushing, as a form of dental care and preventive maintenance.

If you don't floss, you WILL have bad breath, regardless of how much you brush, or the brand of mouthwash you use.

If you don't floss, you WILL have bits of rotting food stuck between your teeth. Those rotting bits will become rotten bits.

I floss after every meal or snack when at home, and occasionally after occasional meals outside the home, too. It doesn't really take that long once you get a good system down and your mouth feels SO fresher immediately. Minimum for me is after breakfast and after the last meal of the day when on the road.

Would you want to carry around a bite of hamburger 20 days old from the dumpster, tucked neatly between your cheek and gum, like a wad of chewing tobacco? Pretty tasty, huh? Smells downright awesome too.

Well that's what you are doing if you don't floss, except that the bite of hamburger is in twenty little pieces and they are all rotting away between your teeth and gums.

Want to really get grossed out? If you don't floss, go ahead and floss right now. Bet the odor will knock your socks off as those bits of Gar-bage slide out of their hiding places. Just be sure not to swallow any of them, though, and rinse well after you spit them out or snap them off your floss string.

So wake up and smell the...garbage. Your breath truly stinks if you are not a regular flosser (at least once a day). Maybe your best friends won't tell you, but M will. Don't say M never did you any favors.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, do you put on a big foam tooth costume and go around to grade-schools giving that speech?

Well here's a fun fact for ya, Timmy The Tooth: I'm 22 years old, I've never flossed in my life, and I have gotten a grand total of one (1) cavity in my life. Suck it.

nolanfan34
01-29-2005, 02:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I be tossin' and flossin' my style is awesome.

Causin' more family feuds than Richard Dawson.

[/ QUOTE ]

And the survey said, your dead.

I didn't even have to google that. I'm so street.

AncientPC
01-29-2005, 04:31 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude, do you put on a big foam tooth costume and go around to grade-schools giving that speech?

Well here's a fun fact for ya, Timmy The Tooth: I'm 22 years old, I've never flossed in my life, and I have gotten a grand total of one (1) cavity in my life. Suck it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Flossing doesn't prevent cavities, it prevents root canal and gum problems. Brushing teeth prevents cavities.

Ogre
01-29-2005, 04:57 AM
never flossed once in my life. (exept to get popcorn out about once a year) And I have nver had a cavity.

AncientPC
01-29-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]
never flossed once in my life. (exept to get popcorn out about once a year) And I have nver had a cavity.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't floss either, and I do not have a single cavity.

I have gum problems and in the x-rays it shows a bunch of these rock thingies stuck to my teeth below the gum level. When the dentist is scraping this crap out it feels like gravel and my mouth fills up with blood every minute or so.

slickpoppa
01-29-2005, 05:06 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I have a 22 year old friend who has been smoking a pack of cigarettes a day since he was 16 and nothing is wrong with him. Ergo, smoking is not bad for you.

MMMMMM
01-29-2005, 10:53 AM
Once a day will give you most of the benefit. The decay process begins before that but doesn't reach severe stage on the first day. However you will enjoy a fresher-feeling mouth if you floss a bit more often.

MMMMMM
01-29-2005, 11:01 AM
Eric,

I didn't know to start regular flossing until I was almost your age. I had only one cavity by that age, too.

I figured it out though, when no matter how much I brushed, I still had bad breath when I self-tested by exhaling into my palm and sniffing the result. I mean RIGHT AFTER I brushed like a madman, I still had bad breath. Wtf. Then one day I tried flossing and all the rotten smelly bits came out and believe me they stunk when they came out.

Since I didn't want permanently bad breath, I started flossing regularly. Later I found out that it takes care of your gums too and helps prevent gingivitis. Later than that, the dentist told me that flossing is more important to dental care than even brushing, because the tongue and mouth provide a bit of a natural brushing action anyway, but even a toothbrush doesn't remove those chunks of rotten food trapped between your teeth and teeth and gums.

So Eric the choice is yours: bad breath or no? For me it was an easy choice.

MMMMMM
01-29-2005, 08:07 PM
If you don't floss, you can usually but temporarily cover-up your bad breath with sufficient mouthwash or mints, BUT--what happens as the masking scent wears off is your bad breath will return. This can happen rather quickly. So never flossing gives you recurring bad breath. Depending on the amount of gar-bage rotting away in your mouth, you may or may not be able to fully mask the odor with mintiness.

Once you get used to flossiung it takes just a couple minutes and is painless and easy. If you haven't flossed in ages and wish to start, though, go gently until your gums get used to it.

Your teeth and gums will thank you in the long run, and your co-workers and your significant other may silently thank you in the short run.

I am thinking about designing a bumper sticker that says, "Flossing Is Cool", but haven't yet considered the graphic design part.