PDA

View Full Version : Worth it to read Theory of Poker?

Token
01-28-2005, 07:58 PM
I've read SSHE, so if I'm ready to move to the middle limit games should I read TOP as well as HEPFAP? Or just HEPFAP?

Thanks.

maurile
01-28-2005, 08:12 PM
TOP is probably the best poker book ever written, so yeah, it's worth it.

popniklas
01-28-2005, 08:53 PM
word. everyone who takes poker seriously should read and study TOP.

KenProspero
01-28-2005, 11:50 PM
Yes

GreywolfNYC
01-28-2005, 11:54 PM
Absolutely.

oreogod
01-29-2005, 01:32 AM
Well I know for a fact that it is Greg Raymers and Daniel Negreanu's top reccommended poker book (stated on his website in the forum) if that helps. Along with just about everyone posting here who knows a thing or two about this game.

But come on, alot of the stuff u will be hearing shot and spellchecked around this site stems from the theories and principles layed down in that book.

Dont be worried about the price tag if thats it, love the price tag of these books, its one thing that keeps many away. When i first started I was like 30 bucks for a paperback...oh yeah I now have most twoplustwos books and I still love the prices. Amazon and overstock.com are good places to go to cut down on some of the inflation.

Wow, did I just go on rant about a price tag?

DrPhysic
01-29-2005, 02:58 AM
The warranty on TOP is 3 months or 30K hands.

Then you need to read it again.

Doc

Token
01-29-2005, 03:07 AM
What does it cover that SSHE and HEPFAP wouldn't?

David Sklansky
01-29-2005, 03:52 AM
"What does it cover that SSHE and HEPFAP wouldn't?"

Everything else

Stew
01-29-2005, 10:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"What does it cover that SSHE and HEPFAP wouldn't?"

Everything else

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, well put. Quite seriously, you need to read TOP, there is no one book that covers the material it covers. The books you reference (SSH and HPFAP) have their foundation rooted in the concepts in TOP. As noted above, you should read and re-read TOP often, it will immensely improve your game, even if you have read every other poker book ever published, it is the one book that a serious player must read no matter what his preferred game.

captZEEbo1
01-29-2005, 10:25 AM
I just made a post here:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1632247&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

I didn't find TOP THAT worth it to read, having already read HPFAP and SSH.

jnalpak
01-29-2005, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I just made a post here:
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=1632247&page=0&view=colla psed&sb=5&o=14&fpart=1

I didn't find TOP THAT worth it to read, having already read HPFAP and SSH.

[/ QUOTE ]

as i've stated bf i was a pretty decent player and now with TOP i have applied the chapters of each to my game daily...I'll take the chapters and work it into my game like a homework assignment, at the end of a one night session (4hrs) i will usually have a solid implant.

With that said, along with Lee Jones Winning at Low Limit i am now usually up 5BB everytime i play .5/1 or 2/4

imported_stealthcow
01-29-2005, 12:49 PM
often i hear players saying the super/system was/is the greatest poker book out there.

i dont think its close. super/system has a lot of great players writing topics, but for the most part their advice is based on game conditions 30 yrs ago. doyle's advice is particular to one and only one style of play. on the other hand, TOP caters to every game, and every limit and the different ideas that bring them together.

i dont consider TOP to increase your bb/100 at 1/2fh from 2 - 3+, but i expect it to bring thing to your attention that you plain didn't see/notice before.

stealthcow-

David Steele
01-29-2005, 02:45 PM
No. Just stick to the small games you can afford until you have enough cash on hand that you don't need help with your book budget. Then start moving up and of course read all the books you are interested in. It isn't like buying a car.

D.