PDA

View Full Version : a poll: just how far apart are the pro-bush and anti-bush

mosta
01-28-2005, 03:35 PM

mosta
01-28-2005, 04:08 PM
addendum: it's too late now, b/c answers have come in, but for #3 I wish I'd said "disturbing tendency" instead of "significant tendency". Oh well. I still worded #3 and #6 differently to allow extra room for a potential meeting of minds.

The reason I ask: when talking about the Bush administration, there are lots and lots of issues one can get oneself worked up over. I'm probalby against Bush on most of them. And I don't consider myself a liberal either. Sometimes someone will tell me they voted for Bush and support some of his major positions (while admitting serious difficulties) but also say they have major reservations about him, and wish there had been another alternative. For me, the misrepresentation, denial, and covering up of unwelcome facts is the most dangerous and disgusting trait of this administration. I would say, for that reason, Bush has more in common with Castro (where Castro would say "the party", substitute "Jesus") than any decent American president, and is a threat to the entire nation. I'm wondering how many Bush voters would respond: yeah, I have serious problems with his forthrightness, BUT that is not our biggest problem now. And how many would say: Dub-ya is da man--Finally this nation is starting to come around. They don't lie; or if they do lie it's so they can get the right thing done and I support it.

In short: I'm hoping answer #1 doesn't completely dominate answer #3.

CORed
01-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I selected "I oppose Bush, but I think his administration reports and discloses facts no less accurately than most other presidents."

There were two reasons. First of all, I don't think other administrations, in general, have a very good record of disclosing facts accurately. Most will withhold information, spin and sometimes flat out lie to avoid disclosing facts that are politically embarrasing or that don't support a policy or position that they have supported.

The second reason is that I don't believe that the fundamental problem with the Bush administration is dishonesty. I think the problem is in fact self-delusion. We have a president and an administration that does not want to hear or believe any information that challenges its preconceptions. I think that Bush & Co. believed most of the incorrect infromation they have put out regarding Iraq. I think they routinely ignore and supress information that they don't like, not out of a self-serving desire to spin public opinion their way, but out of a fanatical refusal to consider the possibility that it migh be correct. I believe that this fanatical self-deception is much more dangerous that the usual self-serving spin.

CCass
01-28-2005, 04:39 PM
I would assume that 1 and 6 are polar opposites. As I am typing this, there are 4 votes for #1, 1 vote each for #2 thru #5, and 5 votes for #6.

This is a small sample size, but I believe it is indicative of the general feeling of the populace. Our country is becoming more and more divided, and that is not a good thing. The middle is becoming maginalized, with the people with moderate leanings being pushed to one fringe or the other. This will get worse over the next few years, not better.

zaxx19
01-28-2005, 06:20 PM
The only stat that really matters to MOST AMERICANS

Major attacks carried out successfully by Al-Qaeda in the last 3+ yrs since 9-11, 0, none, not any.

Any poll on an internet board is quite obviously skewed by selction bias.

man
01-28-2005, 06:48 PM
A: Pretty freakin' far apart!

Bez
01-28-2005, 08:32 PM
I agree 100% with this viewpoint. All administrations love spin.

ACPlayer
01-29-2005, 04:55 AM
The only stat that really matters to MOST AMERICANS

Major attacks carried out successfully by Al-Qaeda in the last 3+ yrs since 9-11, 0, none, not any.

Actually this is absolutely true for those Americans who dont understand poker. You could be in the middle of a rush but dont know when it may end.

Welcome to that particular club Zaxx. You make it easy for the real poker players to make money.