PDA

View Full Version : What is your coolest/most sentimental/valuable Collectible?

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 02:21 PM
I have a few answers..but I have to think about. Most is Baseball Related.

Discuss.

Reef
01-28-2005, 02:21 PM
old coin collection

wish I could find that stupid 1800's half-dime my grandparents gave me

nothumb
01-28-2005, 02:36 PM
Let's see, I'm not really a collector of anything, but I have a few items I stumbled upon.

-Towel from 1986 PGA Master's
-Autographed copy of "Yaz" (autobiography)

My personal favorite is an autographed drawing of Captain Haddock from that cartoon TV show from Blake Schwartzenbach. Kind of random and silly but I always get a kick out of it.

NT

swede123
01-28-2005, 02:42 PM
Probably my 1971 Nova SS. It's cool.

Cheers,

Swede

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 02:48 PM
Most Valuable - 1960ish Tops All Star Mickey Mantle card. I have no idea how much it's worth. But since I don't collect much, I assume it's the most. I also have one of the metal coins they used to throw in Cracker Jack boxes in the 60's. At some point I should get both of these appraised.

Coolest - First Edition Vinyl editions of Peal Jam's Ten, Smiths - Strangeways here we come, and Hatebreeds -"demo" (7"); That Autographed Bosstones CD.

Sentimental - Piece of charred paper from the WTC that floated right into my face on 9/11.

nolanfan34
01-28-2005, 02:49 PM
Tough question.

I think I'd have to go with my 1970 Topps Nolan Ryan card. It's his 3rd year card, so not even his most valuable, but I traded two Eric Davis 1985 Fleer rookies for it back in 1986, so the sentimental value of that trade is priceless for me. Somehow it survived my childhood in pretty good condition as well.

For sheer random coolness, I have a foul ball from an M's game that for some reason is autographed by the sackmaster, Deacon Jones.

BeerMoney
01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
My first condom.

elwoodblues
01-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Right before my grandfather died (literally 1 day before he died), he gave each of the grandkids a sack full of old coins that he had kept. They were randomly distributed among the grandkids and mine included two 2 dollar bills that my grandfather carried with him during his entire military service. Those are pretty sentimental to me.

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 02:55 PM
Thats cool.

BeerMoney
01-28-2005, 02:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Right before my grandfather died (literally 1 day before he died), he gave each of the grandkids a sack full of old coins that he had kept. They were randomly distributed among the grandkids and mine included two 2 dollar bills that my grandfather carried with him during his entire military service. Those are pretty sentimental to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's awesome dude.

offTopic
01-28-2005, 02:56 PM
Coolest: Montana RC - pulled from a pack, so it cost me like $12.

Sentimental: Foul ball from the first baseball game I ever attended. I think I was in the 5th grade, and when the ball came scooting over to where we were sitting, I grabbed it, and was thinking, "What's the big deal?" Only gotten close a couple of times since then.

Valuable: Former Magic Nerd...I have complete sets of Unlimited and Arabian Nights in binders. A few years ago, some scumbag broke into my house and grabbed whatever he could carry (digcam, PDA, some cash, etc...) and either didn't notice the binders, or didn't think they'd be valuable. The cards were worth more than all that other stuff put together (well, except my peace of mind).

bwana devil
01-28-2005, 02:59 PM
-Reggie Jackson signed ball. Signed circa 1984 at Fenway.

-College newpaper article discussing the Soundgarden/Pearl Jam that night signed by both bands. Circa 1991.

-Issue #1 of Circus Magazine w/ Jimi Hendrix on the cover. Picked it up at a used book store a couple years ago for $1. Circa 1968.

bwana

ps NoThumb, I love the Yaz answer. He's my favorite ball player. I have a copy of that book. Unsigned of course. /images/graemlins/frown.gif How'd you get the autograph?

nolanfan34
01-28-2005, 03:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You must have bought the pack fairly recently? I have a few grocery rack packs of 1981 Topps, I hope there's a Montana in one of them! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

nothumb
01-28-2005, 03:02 PM
I bought it used and it had the autograph in it. It was at this huge garage sale. I've checked it out and it's authentic. Total luck.

NT

jakethebake
01-28-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You must have bought the pack fairly recently? I have a few grocery rack packs of 1981 Topps, I hope there's a Montana in one of them! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
I have an unopened 1984 Donruss wax case.

nothumb
01-28-2005, 03:04 PM
Oh, your music post reminded me of a few.

-Original vinyl of 'The Wall' and 'Delicate Sound of Thunder' (not valuable, just cool, I love these records...)
-Large collection of 8-tracks (for no apparent reason)

-And my crown jewel, an imported 10" solo acoustic EP by Frankie Stubbs of Leatherface, of which only 500 were pressed. It's really good.

NT

offTopic
01-28-2005, 03:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It was like 1994, I think, so it was a better pull then. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Those rack packs are cool if you get a good one...hell, there might be TWO Montanas in there.

mmbt0ne
01-28-2005, 03:08 PM
Coolest:
A huge metal Coke sign from the Sugar Bowl at Tulane before it got torn down. My dad got it from the workers when he was a student there.
I probably would've had something cooler, but almost all of my grandfather's (Mom's side) stuff got donated to UNC's and Wake Forest's library when he passed recently. He always had something cool to show us though when we went up to the house.

Most Sentimental:
Grandfather's and Great-Grandfather's putters (Dad's side). Random, but they're hella nice and special. I've never played with them except around the house.

Most Valuable:
I haven't gone through all the basketball cards I have so I probably have some really nice cards in there, but I wouldn't know. I stopped paying attention really in 4th or 5th grade. I also have some porcelain PEZ dispensers, which actually aren't that expensive at all, but it's the only thing that comes to mind right now.

nolanfan34
01-28-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You win. That's the one box from the 80s that I don't have in my collection yet.

offTopic
01-28-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You win. That's the one box from the 80s that I don't have in my collection yet.

[/ QUOTE ]

Isn't that the Strawberry/Mattingly year? Should be able to get that pretty reasonably now (for completeness sake). Of course, "unsearched" may be another story.

nolanfan34
01-28-2005, 03:28 PM
A legit box runs about $150 or so. So yes, I could get it, just haven't done so yet. Like you said, unsearched is the key.

That's why Jake's case, is probably worth about $3,000 or so. Not bad since it was probably a $200 purchase back in 1984.

Rick Diesel
01-28-2005, 03:36 PM
Autographed photo of Ric Flair standing in between me and my buddy with his arms around us and a cigar in his mouth. You want to talk about a conversation piece.

jakethebake
01-28-2005, 03:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's why Jake's case, is probably worth about $3,000 or so. Not bad since it was probably a $200 purchase back in 1984.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think I got it in '86 though. don't even remember what i paid. I bought it to makes sets out of to sell, but never got around to opening it so I just kept it.

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 03:44 PM
Thats awesome! To be the man, you got to beat the man! WOOOOO!

Benjamin
01-28-2005, 05:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That is great. My grandad also gave me his coin collection: most of them he culled during a summer working at the world's fair. There were some sweet ones including a 18xx silver dollar and an 18xx penny that was as big as a quarter. They were prized possesions. Unfortunately some rat bastard stole em back when I partied too damn much and had all kinds of people in and out of the house. Grrr.

Of a zillion basketball cards, my '87 Jordan is probably my favorite.

Of my vinyl, it's REM's Chronic Town EP ... slightly trailed by Jane's Addiction Jane's Addiction EP.

B.

Sponger15SB
01-28-2005, 06:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

My first condom.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe one day you'll get to use it!

Sponger15SB
01-28-2005, 06:10 PM
A couple of years ago we found a binder filled with a bunch of my dads basketball cards all signed by like Dr. J and Kareem and everything, he also has pictures from John Kundla's hall of fame induction (coach of the minneapolis lakers) with tons of old sports legends.

My dad also has a lot of letters he wrote to various players that Kundla had and his correspondences with the hall of fame.

Its pretty weird.

hutz
01-28-2005, 07:57 PM
I have eight Nolan Ryan rookie cards (over 1500 of his cards, in all) and a 1952 Bowman Willie Mays (professionally graded near mint) -- those probably qualify as my most valuable items. Apart from my Ryan cards, I really like the 1964 Topps baseball set I compiled by hand over a span of ten years or so. I also have a 1972 Houston Astros game worn jersey with the shooting star across the chest and a 1965 Kansas City A's game worn flannel vest jersey. When I get a Colt .45s flannel jersey, that'll move to the top of the list for both favorite memorabilia and top dollar value.

My most sentimental item is a 1930s vintage Smith & Wesson .38 pistol my grandfather gave to me. It is still in the original box.

Slacker13
01-28-2005, 08:07 PM
I collect memorabilia so I have many but a few that really stand out is my Brett Favre autographed jersey just because I am a huge packer fan. The coolest is probably the Florida Panthers Jersey which was signed by the entire 2nd year team.

AncientPC
01-28-2005, 08:34 PM
I have no idea how much these are worth:
http://temp.ancientpc.net/misc/coin1.jpg
http://temp.ancientpc.net/misc/coin2.jpg

I just know that's all my grandfather had when he moved to Taiwan in the late 1930's. He managed to buy a house and some land with just two of those coins.