PDA

View Full Version : Super Bowl Pool odds.......with a twist

Phishy McFish
01-28-2005, 01:46 PM
OK. So I'm thinking of creating a Super Bowl pool with a "prop" bet. The usual 10 by 10 grid and you pay "X" amount per square....for this example let's say $10. You pay out every quarter.

BUT adding this twist to it....

You can play the prop bet by paying $15 for your square and picking a team against the spread as well. If you win (hitting the right square for a quarter) you would get $250. If you also placed the prop bet and got it correct, you win $350. If you placed the prop bet and got it wrong (while still picking a correct square) you would win $225.

Obviously any square that doesn't hit receives no money back regardless of if prop was played or not (and right or wrong on said bet).

Is this a good idea (for me not pool players) and what are the ranges for setting up the payoutrs that make it worth while for me/them?

KEEP IN MIND.....I'm not going to hide the fact that the total prize pool may not be paid out......but in turn I may have to pay out of my pocket as well if the right scenario would occur.

Phishy McFish
01-29-2005, 03:10 PM
M P

gaming_mouse
01-29-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
OK. So I'm thinking of creating a Super Bowl pool with a "prop" bet. The usual 10 by 10 grid and you pay "X" amount per square....for this example let's say $10. You pay out every quarter.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what the "usual 10 by 10 grid" means.

You'll have to explain all this stuff to those unfamiliar w/ super bowl pools. I had no idea what you were talking about anywhere in the post.

gm

CountDuckula
01-30-2005, 01:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what the "usual 10 by 10 grid" means.

You'll have to explain all this stuff to those unfamiliar w/ super bowl pools. I had no idea what you were talking about anywhere in the post.

gm

[/ QUOTE ]

The "usual 10x10 grid" means simply that the person running the pool draws such a grid, and the participants each buy one or more boxes in the grid. After all the boxes are sold, the manager randomly assigns the digits 0-9 to each row/column, and assigns all of the column digits to one team, and the row digits to the other. The last digit of each team's score is used to determine the winning box; for example, if the team assigned to the rows scores 27, and the team assigned to the columns scores 13, the box in the 7 row/3 column is the winner, and the prize money goes to whoever bought that box.

Some pools use only the final score, others divide the prize fund up, and use the scores as of the end of each quarter or each half as well.

-Mike

gaming_mouse
01-30-2005, 03:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
The last digit of each team's score is used to determine the winning box; for example, if the team assigned to the rows scores 27, and the team assigned to the columns scores 13, the box in the 7 row/3 column is the winner, and the prize money goes to whoever bought that box.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because of the way football is scored, aren't certain digits much more likely to come up? That is, I would expect that many football games end up with the same score... eg, 14-0 might be common.

I'm totally guessing, but it just seems it would be unlikely that the numbers are randomly distributed.

gm

tylerdurden
01-30-2005, 03:17 PM
Yes. That's why the numbers are randomly assigned after all the squares are sold.

gaming_mouse
01-30-2005, 03:21 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yes. That's why the numbers are randomly assigned after all the squares are sold.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah... ok. Now what does it mean that you pay out every quarter?

Phishy McFish
01-30-2005, 04:40 PM
What is the math stuff?

smartalecc5
01-31-2005, 08:10 PM
In a football game, there are 4 quarters. AFter each quarter, the score is looked at and the winner is paid.

gaming_mouse
01-31-2005, 09:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
In a football game, there are 4 quarters. AFter each quarter, the score is looked at and the winner is paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Some each quarter someone wins 1/4 of the total pool?

Phishy McFish
02-01-2005, 10:25 AM
nm