PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical Deep Deep Stack Tourney Question

nickey009
01-28-2005, 01:25 PM
I posted before about a very deep stacked tourney that I'm going to be participating in. Blinds are going to be going up rediculously slow and for the most part I feel that skill wise I'll have an advantage over these guys. Now, here's the question.

It's the first hand of the tourney. I'm UTG and I have KK. I make a raise of 400. 8X the BB. I get a bunch of limpers and the BB re-raises all-in. Do I lay it down because I believe my skill in the long run of this tourney will prevail or call it thinking that no one would play AA this way?

schwza
01-28-2005, 01:31 PM
how deep?

i'd probably call. part of your skill edge is that you'd never be so dumb as to make this play with TT or AQ, but they might.

Damian UK
01-28-2005, 01:35 PM
If it was me - yes - plenty of other hands to see and a tourney to win! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif - plus you might get to see the AI hand anyway as a limper hopefully calls it

why bust yourself out on the first hand?

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Damian

meant to say that I am no expert (been playing about 6 months) but I view tourneys as a marathon and not a sprint, hence my reply - others know better than me tho!! /images/graemlins/blush.gif

pipes
01-28-2005, 02:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I posted before about a very deep stacked tourney that I'm going to be participating in. Blinds are going to be going up rediculously slow and for the most part I feel that skill wise I'll have an advantage over these guys. Now, here's the question.

It's the first hand of the tourney. I'm UTG and I have KK. I make a raise of 400. 8X the BB. I get a bunch of limpers and the BB re-raises all-in. Do I lay it down because I believe my skill in the long run of this tourney will prevail or call it thinking that no one would play AA this way?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why the big raise here UTG first hand of the tourney? Since the stacks are so deep, the blinds are not worth winning. Either you'll just win the blinds or be put in a situation like this.

I limp here. At most I'll raise it 3XBB.

JMO, but I want some action with kings. If I get too many callers and post flop action looks like I'm beat, I'll just let it go.

nickey009
01-28-2005, 02:05 PM
how deep you ask? Probably the deepest you've ever heard of. 25-50 for 1 hour. 50-100, 75-150, 100-200, That's the first 4 hours. Our starting stack? 15000!

nickey009
01-28-2005, 02:53 PM
Now due to how deep these stacks are isn't there a strong arguement for folding the KK? It'll give me some time to read the table a little better. Find out if the BB is a real maniac or not. Also, if I raise to 400 and I do lay it down does it really hurt me that much? I'm left with 14600. The rest of the table has 15000.