PDA

View Full Version : Overplayed AKs early?

Absolution
01-28-2005, 01:12 PM
This is about the 3rd hand of a low-buy multi. We all have about 1500 in chips and the blinds are 5/10. UTG calls, I'm UTG+1 and pick up AKs. Okay, it's a strong hand and I have to play it, but this is early in low buy = superLAG so it's dangerous and I know it. I hate and love these hands early. I want to get this down to at least 3 players and with so many acting behind me I raise it to 100 (10x) hoping to get maybe 1 or 2 callers. Nope, the button (very LAG so far but very lucky) calls and so do the blinds and UTG (5 players...sigh). The flop came 66T rainbow with one spade for me. Hmm, not a bad flop I thought so I bet about 2/3 the pot. 4 CALL. /images/graemlins/frown.gif I check called off another 200 on the turn and river (button bet 100 on each) on a bit of tilt I will admit, but mainly because I wanted to see what they were holding (0 fold equity obviously) and the pot was huge at this point and I was 90% sure my outs were clean (implied odds were also huge as they don't fold). 3 of us showdown. The SB shows 55 (wtf?) and the button shows T9c (okay I guess). Anything I can do differently here? I lose half my stack at level 1 (and go out quickly to a well hidden AA vs my AJs top pair) /images/graemlins/frown.gif

If you're curious:

cards win %win lose %lose tie %tie EV
5d 5h 383499 27.98 983836 71.77 3419 0.25 0.281
As Ks 528054 38.52 839281 61.23 3419 0.25 0.386
Tc 9c 455782 33.25 911553 66.50 3419 0.25 0.333

Mistakes:
1) The 2/3 pot bet. Anything less than pot is not respected at this level and I should have taken that into consideration (I might have got 1 other to fold).
2) Called on river with nothing but ace high.
3) Maybe this early you just have to let AKs go if you miss.

tiger7210
01-28-2005, 06:36 PM
In the low buy in MTT every early hand has multiple callers so why raise so much PF when you know you'll be out of position after the flop. If you made a standard 3x BB raise + the limper to 40 chips you can get away from this very easily when the flop misses you with very little invested. I play a lot of the low buy in MTT on UB and know you just can't bet the fish out PF so don't bother trying. Make your standard raise unless you have a big pair where now they can pay you off by calling your overbet PF. AK is always so overplayed early in a tournament where there are just too many fish who will call with junk then hit their hand.

Potowame
01-28-2005, 07:09 PM
I think a raise of 3-4xbb is better here, You will still get the callers but its not a waste of chips. Plus this makes a continuation bet alittle cheaper. Keep letting them not respect your 2/3 pot bets, they will pay you off.

Check fold after the flop, they are not going any where even if you push all-in. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

So to recap Raise 3-4BB say 40

5 callers = pot 200
Flop = Bet 100-140
Turn fold with no improvement

Play AA-QQ the same way ( except for the turn lol) they will pay you off with 55 and 910s.

Absolution
01-28-2005, 08:05 PM
But they were SOOTED! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif Good advice though guys and I've played it like that in the past. I guess I've just had too many hands where my 3xBB standard raise gets an 8-way pot. /images/graemlins/smile.gif It's a mixed blessing really. I cinq'd up the other day when my all-in reraise with KK got 5 callers (and I wasn't even that short stacked). I was sure I was toast. It gets to you after a while.

snowmen
01-28-2005, 08:35 PM
If you pair your AK in the flop , what amount would you bet in that scenario? and what would you do if you were called? thanks

tiger7210
01-28-2005, 11:53 PM
I still play it the same way with 1/2 the pot on the flop and 2/3rds on the turn if the board starts to coordinate. I want the T9 and 55's to keep calling and pay me off. If you get sucked out so be it but you need to get chips early when you hit your hand. I bet just enough to make their odds to call on their draw wrong.

ilya
01-29-2005, 03:32 AM
On the flop, check/fold. You missed your hand and it's 5-handed. And you're not even in last position.

Iconoclastic
01-29-2005, 03:42 AM
Early in a MTT, I wouldn't even raise preflop with AKs in early position. It's a hand (by hand i mean cards+position) you can win a little or lose a lot with. If you get raised by an idiot preflop you'll have the option of reraising all in. If you don't flop anything, you can get away only losing a big blind. If you hit something, you can check-raise or bet the Flop and play postflop poker.

Many times in poker, a difficult decision is solved by changing the choice that led you into that conundrum. Just think of those ClearStick deodorant commercials on TV.