PDA

View Full Version : MTT Qualifier

Damian UK
01-28-2005, 01:09 PM
Hi All

been on here less than a week yet my game has improved enormously - so much so that I managed to get a place in a $20K tourney thru a MTT satellite (paid 1st 2) - so THANKS for everyones excellent posts (like throwing AJos away UTG on the final table and realising that A10 is also crap early doors with desperate players going AI)

So now how do I go on and win the main event? been playing freerolls and low stakes MTT $1-$3 where its manic for the first hour and luck is the key with any playable hand - will this likely to be the same? (theres about 100 people signed up so far for the weekend touney) or will people play better coz of the prize money and entry fee?

Do I only play premium hands for the 1st hour, or try to get my stack up by being a bit looser?

any advice for this enthusiastic newbie is most appreciated!

cheers

Damian

dankhank
01-28-2005, 01:45 PM
for the most part the play in a 20k tournament won't be appreciably stronger than in a $3 buyin event. the optimal strategy of solid-tight poker still applies.

Absolution
01-28-2005, 01:53 PM
Hmm, first time I'm going to use this: You generally can't play overly tight in online MTTs, even against maniacs - do you see why? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Damian UK
01-28-2005, 02:44 PM
because you miss opportunites to get their chips?? (i am assuming)

Am interested to know how players in a $20K tourney (with $50 buy in) play? I guess there are maniacs at any level - my assumption would be that becuase of the cost to enter and potential winnings the players would be better or at least play better? (rather than AI with K8 UTG coz its suited /images/graemlins/confused.gif) Also coz there is only a couple of hundred players rather than a few hundred/thousand people can take their time?

Thanks for the replies

Damian