PDA

View Full Version : What is your opinion on this

Zoltri
01-28-2005, 12:25 PM
AP

An opponent of the war, Carlos Delgado refused to stand when "God Bless America" was played last season at games involving his Toronto Blue Jays. Instead, he would stay on the bench or go into the dugout tunnel.

He said he'll continue his protest this season with the Marlins.

"I wouldn't call it politics, because I hate politics," he said. "The reason I didn't stand for `God Bless America' was because I didn't like the way they tied `God Bless America' and 9-11 to the war in Iraq in baseball.

"I say God bless America, God bless Miami, God bless Puerto Rico and all countries until there is peace in the world."

Marlins officials made no objection to his war protest.

"The Marlins don't support it, and we don't not support it," Samson said. "He's an adult. The club's position is that what he does is up to him."

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 12:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
"He's an adult. The club's position is that what he does is up to him."

[/ QUOTE ] we talked about this about 6 months ago in the Politics forum, I agree with the above line.

Piz0wn0reD!!!!!!
01-28-2005, 12:28 PM
its a free* country.

* $1.05 + shipping

junkmail3
01-28-2005, 12:30 PM
He plays for toronto.

Zoltri
01-28-2005, 12:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] we talked about this about 6 months ago in the Politics forum, I agree with the above line.

[/ QUOTE ]
Do you think your employer would be so understanding?
Especially for $52 million.

I think not.

lucas9000
01-28-2005, 12:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

GuyOnTilt
01-28-2005, 12:35 PM

I think not.

Well, his did apparently. What's your point?

GoT

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 12:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think not.

[/ QUOTE ]

um, I think thats the point, they pay him $52 million to play baseball, not to give political speeches.

Also, he plays for Florida now in case the poster above you can't read very well.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-28-2005, 12:36 PM
I think he is being quite lame, but also well within his rights to act this way. I wish he wouldn't, but I won't argue against his right to do this.

Zoltri
01-28-2005, 12:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I think not.

Well, his did apparently. What's your point?

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]
There is no point, just an opinion.

GuyOnTilt
01-28-2005, 12:50 PM
There is no point, just an opinion.

What's your opinion?

GoT

Sponger15SB
01-28-2005, 12:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like the way they tied `God Bless America' and 9-11 to the war in Iraq in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there are plenty of people that agree with that, me included, however it wouldn't prevent me from standing for it.

If he doesn't want to stand, don't worry about it.

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I didn't like the way they tied `God Bless America' and 9-11 to the war in Iraq in baseball.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, there are plenty of people that agree with that, me included, however it wouldn't prevent me from standing for it.

If he doesn't want to stand, don't worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ] well actually what he does is go into the clubhouse during the song, so most people don't even notice him gone. Really, this is only an issue in NY, where he will rarely be now because the Marlins almost never play the Yankees.

Zoltri
01-28-2005, 12:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
What he said. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

M2d
01-28-2005, 12:58 PM
They're in the Mets' division, though

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 01:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
They're in the Mets' division, though

[/ QUOTE ] I don't think they do it every game at Shea like they do at Yankees stadium.

Bluffoon
01-28-2005, 01:04 PM
He has the right to be abused by Americans wherever he goes if he wants to be.

I am critical of the current administration but they are our leaders and I support them and my country while advocating change.

Zoltri
01-28-2005, 01:11 PM
Exactly.
I wonder what our servicemen think of Mr. Delgado while he wears his $3000 suit driving his $400,000 Ferrari and sitting in his $5 million home while their out their protecting his sorry ass.

BeerMoney
01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly.
I wonder what our servicemen think of Mr. Delgado while he wears his $3000 suit driving his $400,000 Ferrari and sitting in his $5 million home while their out their protecting his sorry ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

His statement is that he doesn't support the war, and flag waving around it. That doesn't mean he doesn't support our troops. It means he doesn't support a war with Iraq? Why do you have a problem with people being indiviuals.

He's not disrespecting our flag. He's making a peaceful subtle statement. That's what this country is all about. I respect the fact that he's a ball player with a brain.

GuyOnTilt
01-28-2005, 01:17 PM

I hate when people draw irrational conclusions like this. Just because he doesn't support MLB tying "God Bless America" and 9/11 and the war in Iraq together does not necessarily mean he's against the war in Iraq. And the fact that somebody doesn't support the war in Iraq does not necessarily make them unpatriotic or anti-military action or non apreciative of American troops.

GoT

Zoltri
01-28-2005, 01:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
His statement is that he doesn't support the war, and flag waving around it. That doesn't mean he doesn't support our troops.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try telling that to a Vietnam Veteran.

elwoodblues
01-28-2005, 01:22 PM
Just curious...has there ever been a tradition of standing during God Bless America? It isn't the national anthem. Is it just patriotic songs that we are supposed to stand for? How about that god-awful one that Ashcroft wrote? Or maybe Yankee Doodle Dandy?

Seems like a silly thing for people to get worked up about.

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 01:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Exactly.

[/ QUOTE ] probably the same thing they think when they see all the Hollywood liberals spout off about everything, which is that type of free speech (and the way of life) are what I am protecting.

Also, I don't see at all why our troops would care what Delgado said, I know my brother would probably just shake his head and forget about it.

jakethebake
01-28-2005, 01:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just curious...has there ever been a tradition of standing during God Bless America? It isn't the national anthem. Is it just patriotic songs that we are supposed to stand for? How about that god-awful one that Ashcroft wrote? Or maybe Yankee Doodle Dandy? Seems like a silly thing for people to get worked up about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was kinda wondering this myself. This is a very recent phenomenon. Nobody used to stand for these songs. You stand for the national anthem. Wtf?

BeerMoney
01-28-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
His statement is that he doesn't support the war, and flag waving around it. That doesn't mean he doesn't support our troops.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try telling that to a Vietnam Veteran.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, look at my location.......... I'm as patriotic as the next guy. I totally respect the sacrifice our troops make. That doesn't mean I have to blindly agree with the reasons other people sent them there. Why is this hard to understand.

xadrez
01-28-2005, 02:40 PM
May I quote our forefathers?

"The spirit of resistance to government is so valuable on certain occasions, that I wish it to be always kept alive. It will often be exercised when wrong, but better so than not to be exercised at all." -Thomas Jefferson

James282
01-28-2005, 02:52 PM
My opinion is: good for him. And too bad the Mets didn't get him.
-James

James282
01-28-2005, 03:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I hate when people draw irrational conclusions like this. Just because he doesn't support MLB tying "God Bless America" and 9/11 and the war in Iraq together does not necessarily mean he's against the war in Iraq. And the fact that somebody doesn't support the war in Iraq does not necessarily make them unpatriotic or anti-military action or non apreciative of American troops.

GoT

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. The troops don't have any say in where they are sent. And even if they did, it's well within Delgado's rights to respectfully disagree.
-James