PDA

View Full Version : NL makes me uncomfortable

sfer
01-28-2005, 11:34 AM
Playing live 1/2, $500 max buy in. I have about $190 and it's my second orbit. I have yet to show anything down or mix things up so my image is likely a blank sheet. UTG raises to $12. He's been raising about every 3rd hand and he has about $400 behind. Folded to me in MP with AQo and I call. A loose BB defends and we see the flop 3 ways.

The flop is A /images/graemlins/heart.gif 6 /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 /images/graemlins/club.gif. BB checks, UTG bets $25, I call, the BB folds.

Turn is a non- /images/graemlins/heart.gif 4. UTG checks and I check behind.

River is a 7 /images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG thinks and checks again, I bet $40.

TheWorstPlayer
01-28-2005, 11:54 AM
Looks pretty good. Why the discomfort?

Edit: OK, I have remembered now that you are a good limit player and you know how to handle river check/raises here in limit, but not necessarily in no limit and that could cause the discomfort. Just as in limit, the important thing is whether or not you fear a bluff river check/raise. The only difference is that in limit, you can call and if you are wrong it cost you one BB. Here the check/raise could be all-in. Oops. So, if you fear a bluff check/raise then you can check behind and just get to showdown. If you don't think this opponent is capable of a bluff check/raise then you can value bet since they are LAG and could easily have a worse ace. If they raise, muck.

theredpill2
01-28-2005, 11:55 AM
I'm checking right here unless you have the Q of hearts. I guess that is what you had ? Did he have the king of hearts and reraise you ?

Derek in NYC
01-28-2005, 11:59 AM
Why the 4th street check? If you bet on 4th street you create a raise-or-fold situation for him, whereas if you check, he can create a raise-or-fold situation for you. (Not that he did).

Note: I get busted all the time when I play NL, so I really suck at it.

TheWorstPlayer
01-28-2005, 12:03 PM
I like the check. I think it is unlikely that villain is on a draw here and you don't want to get check/raised. Even if he is on a draw, he could easily check/raise you and put you in a bad spot. You have a fairly weak hand with only TPQK so I like it better to keep the pot small by checking on the turn. This also seems weak so you sometimes induce a bluff on the river. I would check the turn then call a bet on the river and value bet if checked to.

TrailofTears
01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
I really like the line you took here. Keep the pot small with only TPQK, but I like the value bet on the river. I would have to think he calls and you win the hand. Nicely played.

Oh, and ignore theredpill. He's kinda special, if you know what I mean.

- ToT

Los Feliz Slim
01-28-2005, 01:17 PM
Wouldn't raising his bet on the flop give you more of an idea of where you are and make him pay for his miracle card if you've got him out-kicked?

TrailofTears
01-28-2005, 01:54 PM
What do you do if he calls your raise? Bet the turn? What if a heart comes off? Think about if you were the villain with AK here facing a raise on that flop. What would you do? You can't like your hand enough to push (at least I don't) but you like it too much to just fold. You likely call. In a pot like this with a hand like this, you want to keep the pot small because you don't want to risk your stack with just TPQK, and since raising might not really get you any information and leaves you in an awkward spot, it is not worth the risk.

fimbulwinter
01-28-2005, 02:03 PM
I'd bet the turn for this reason:

he's got loose values and probably takes down a lot of pots, the standard you want to establish is one where you can get him to check the turn to you with no hand and let you take it. he wins when he makes a hand with hs trash, and you win when he doesnt. i like that arrangement in holdem. works well when you call his pfr and flop bet with a small PP and he checks the turn to you. this game is more than deep enough for such moves. your flop call/ turn check/ river milker represents a flush, which is a better hand than you hold, which makes his decision easy (ok, you might get a crying call out of TT etc.).

oh yeeah, guys, people who bring in 1/3 of hands for 6xbb dont turn over AK too often. dont worry about seeing monsters here.

fim

ps- why no full buyin? this depth game must be a goldmine for a good player.

sfer
01-28-2005, 02:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
ps- why no full buyin? this depth game must be a goldmine for a good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

You answered yourself. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sfer
02-01-2005, 03:56 PM
I'm bad at keeping track of the pot. I thought I was betting 1/4th of the pot, not almost half. Regardless, he folded.

Jay36489
02-01-2005, 06:32 PM
So did you have the q /images/graemlins/heart.gif? I would have raised the turn either way. With no heart I'm definitely checking this river unless they are easily bluffed. Maybe make an AK with no heart lay it down.

joewatch
02-01-2005, 06:57 PM
My thoughts:

Preflop - fine

Flop - I think you are taking a chance by calling with the coordinated board. I would have raised at least the pot to try to win outright.

Turn - the check behind is too weak. You are setting yourself up for a bluff on the river. If you are afraid of a check-raise by a made flush, bet half the pot and see what happens.

River - I think a check behind is better. What hands do you think he will call you with when there is a 4-flush on the board? Only Kh or Qh.

TheWorstPlayer
02-01-2005, 08:37 PM
You guys are ALL misreading the hand. It says a NON-/images/graemlins/heart.gif 4 on the turn. Yes, I misread it at first, too.

@OP: Please write 'offsuit' or something instead, next time.

joewatch
02-01-2005, 09:04 PM
Sorry, you're right, I miss-read that turn card. Anyway, here' s my analysis -
Preflop - fine
Flop - raise the pot.
Turn - bet at least 1/2 the pot, fold to an overbet. What would your play have been if villain had lead with a pot bet?
River - value bet is fine.

sfer
02-02-2005, 03:50 AM
You think I have the best hand if I raise the flop and he doesn't fold?

Shaun
02-02-2005, 11:26 AM
Call the flop, bet the turn. River is up to you.