PDA

View Full Version : When you have nearly ZERO Fold Equity and Short Stacked HU

etgryphon
01-28-2005, 11:30 AM
Hey All:

I was just in a one table home game with 9 other people with a single payout for first place. I got through the whole field and ended HU with a lucky SOB who is a drinker and just having a good time.

Pay out is $180 for first place, $20 buyin

Info:
Blinds - 20/40

Villan: ~1130
Hero: ~220

I have almost zero fold equity(maybe 5% or 1:19) to pushes, but he will play almost anything and pay it off. Whats the best way to play this? He is pretty passive and hates to raise preflop and will call all preflop raises, but will push on the flop if he has something or feeling his wheaties.

What is the best strategy? I was thinking push PF with any pair, Ax, Kx, any two broadway till I double up and check the BB with anything to get a monster flop, fold to any reraise? I know I can outplay the guy, but I am working with a hugh chip disadvantage.

-Gryph

sofere
01-28-2005, 01:47 PM
I would push in the BB if checked to with the same hands as I'd push in the SB. Also, I think you have to widen your range a bit especially because your so short stacked.

2 cards vs. random hand (http://www.jazbo.com/poker/huholdem.html)

esbesb
01-28-2005, 01:52 PM
You are short stacked, but not incredibly so in relation to the blinds. If he's really going to let you see flops, why not see them and then try to outplay him if you flop top pair to his second pair or something along those lines. Pushing is great if you think he might fold and/or if you have a really good hand that you think he might call. But if you push K5 or Q7, you are going to be close to a coinflip and I'm not sure you want to go out that way against an inferior player.

sofere
01-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Your at 5.5 bb...this means that if you don't win at least the blinds in the next 3-4 hands, you have to double up again. You have to take chances at this point to get back to a playable stack.

You have far less than a 50/50 shot of getting two broadways or better in the next 3 hands. Checking in the BB with a hand that's better than 50/50 against a random hand is a pretty big mistake when your that short stacked IMO.