PDA

View Full Version : help me to manage my bankroll!

Leduke
01-28-2005, 05:28 AM
Hello everybody, I'm new in poker and now i'm actually searching for a tips of strategy and how to manage the bankroll. (when i sit down to play a poker i always found my self in loosing big money) I found interesting poker rule (http://www.ipfpoker.com/online-poker-articles/manage-your-bankroll-/21) of managing bankroll - 10% rule. does anyone uses it? /images/graemlins/confused.gif and how you say yourself - "stop playing today!" Could you give me some advice in here?

skoal2k4
01-28-2005, 05:34 AM
make sure you're a winning poker player. If you're not, then bankroll management is means nothing

deacsoft
01-28-2005, 08:05 AM
That system is true in the fact that by only using 10% of your bankroll you can never go broke. It's a mathematical impossibility. However it is flawed because, in some opinions, you should only leave a game when the conditions of yourself or the game are no longer favorable.

I am unaware of any default setting for bankroll management aside from 300BB of the stake you are playing semi-mandate. I believe there is no exact science to bankroll managemant because every player has their own lifestyle, spending habits, and amount of bills.

Isura
01-28-2005, 10:24 AM
Start with a small stake and play low-limits. You don't really need the 300BB bankroll right away. Just start with a small amount that you are comfortable with, and try to build it up. If you lose it all, just deposit more and try again. You might lose your stake a few times, but if you are motivated to learn, you will improve and start building up some winnings. That's the way I started out anyways.

SheridanCat
01-28-2005, 10:33 AM
I agree with those who have said that you should just try to live by the 300BB rule if you want to avoid ruin. If you can afford to reload, you can play with fewer than 300BBs in your bankroll.

This 10% rule thing is bogus, of course. If you have the best of it and have no other reason to leave, you should stick with it. However, it might well be a good idea to get up from the table, get something to eat and think about whether you really have the best of it. Go over the hands you were in and evaluate your play. You may find you actually got outplayed and really don't have the best of it at this game.

Also if losing has put you on tilt, you should pick up and move on.

Regards,

T

BUD
01-28-2005, 11:05 AM
how many new players are capable of telling if they have the best of it? how many of you veterans think your competition can tell when they should get up. my opinion is that for most players the idea of looking at poker from a lifetime view is crazy. how many winning players are out there. how many times i have played too long in a game with weak players. keep in mind this is a beginners forum. for me playing longer than 5 hours is too long. and investin more than 150.00 in a session seems to push me beyond what is comfortable ( or mentally reccomended).
sincerely
bud

OrianasDaad
01-28-2005, 01:40 PM
The 10% doesn't work, unless you quit playing poker forever when you lose 10% of your bankroll.

For instance, you have $1000. Let's say that you go out and lose $100 - now you have a bankroll of $900. Tomorrow, you will go out, and lose $90 and be left with a bankroll of $810.

Someone mentioned that bankroll management is useless for someone that isn't a winning player already, and I totally agree.

That being said, there are some things that a new poker player can learn from bankroll issues. The most important being to not play above your bankroll.

The rule for limit games is to have 300 big bets (the bets on the later streets) in a dedicated bankroll for whatever limit you play to have a low "risk of ruin". Do a search for this term on these forums. For example, I am currently playing at 1/2, so I need to have at least $600 dedicated to my bankroll to play at this limit. If you are especially risk averse - then set a higher requirement.

If you have $1000 and are playing in the 5/10 game online, you only have 100 big bets - and have a much higher risk of ruin. The highest I would suggest with a bankroll like this is a 1.5/3 game (if you can find it), or play 1/2 until you have the $1200 needed to play 2/4.

I believe the suggested requirement for NL is something like 25 or 30 max buy-ins at whatever level you are playing. Someone else will surely clarify.

Almost as important is to keep your bankroll separate from the money you use in day to day life. Don't use the rent money to play poker.

Since you are new, I'd play at a site that has very low limits (.02/.04) and read lots and lots of literature. You are losing big money most likely for two reasons. Playing above your bankroll, and even more likely you are just playing badly.