PDA

View Full Version : LIMIT TOURNEY STRATEGY

05-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Here's the situation: Limit holdem tourney at Paradise....4 players remain...... sb posts 200...bb posts 285 allin....I am first to act I have AJsuited and I RAISE....button folds....small blinds folds.....allin bb happens to win hand with Q4. At this point player who was small blind begins to harass me and tell me what a bad player I am for raising with bb being allin...Since our 3 stacks are equal I would like to protect my hand by raising... but small blind player tells me how badly I play. Did I do something so horrible by raising my AJsuited preflop with an allin player? (For what it's worth, I later went on to win that tourney :-) )

05-27-2002, 01:19 PM
Do not be results oriented. Suppose the SB had AA or KK and reraised you, then what? Or perhaps he has diddly squat and reraises you all in? Are you going to call with your hand? His reasoning was that it should have been obvious he would call the additional 85 Tchips in order to move everyone up a place. He probably would not have objected to you calling rather than raising as that gives you 2 hands to eliminate the all-in player.

In major B&M tourneys two players often check down to the river with an all-in player in order to achieve the above stated goal.

IMO by raising with A/J suited UTG, under these circumstances you are asking to be eliminated yourself or at the very least assume a lesser chip position by being reraised out of the hand, the opposite of which you stated was your desired goal.

As for your resulting win congratulations but as for what it is worth regarding your decision, very very little.

Jimbo