PDA

View Full Version : In search of good music

Redmen62
01-28-2005, 03:40 AM
As 2005 begins I realize that most of my favorite music is starting to approach 10 years old (All my my most-played songs/albums seem to be from 1995). Give me the very best music that I have never heard before to revitalize my sagging opinion of popular music. It can be brand new or classic stuff, but it should be something I likely haven't heard before.

As a background, I am 23 and I checked "Hard Rock" on my Columbia House music club card. My favorite music is made by:

Live
Jeff Buckley
Stone Temple Pilots
Dave Matthews
Metallica
Tool
Bruce Springsteen
David Gray
Counting Crows
Billy Joel

(Optional Canadian content, for whom it may concern)

The Tea Party
Our Lady Peace
I Mother Earth
Bruce Cockburn
The Tragically Hip

So that's what I know- I've listened to a lot of music, but It seems it's hard to find good new stuff these days. What's the very best of what I'm missing?

eric5148
01-28-2005, 03:44 AM
Opeth

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 03:45 AM
Indochine
later Supernovice
new Southern Culture on the Skids

Try any of the above--they are all reasonably random, and good. The Indochine is in French, but if you get over that, it is rocking.

Redmen62
01-28-2005, 03:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Opeth

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen this one before in a thread- Good enough for me, the download begins...

Redmen62
01-28-2005, 04:00 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Opeth

[/ QUOTE ]

We're off to a good start... First track to arrive was "Windowpane". If this is indicative, we have a band I can definitely listen to at length. My proggy side is impressed.

eric5148
01-28-2005, 04:24 AM
Damn, which album is that from? I have 5 of theirs, but not the one with that song. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

AEKDBet
01-28-2005, 04:39 AM
the killers - hot fuss
franz ferdinand (self titled)
arcade fire

daveymck
01-28-2005, 04:57 AM
If you like old type thrashy Metallica go for
Dark Tranquility
Inflames
Soilwork
Sentenced

And the new Kreator Album is absolutley fantastic old School Thrash.

If you like Opeth also try Katatonia, Moonspell, Anaethema (new stuff is quite proggy), The Gathering,

If can listen to a mix of Opera/classical and metal that is quite proggy go for After Forever and Epica.

You may well like Savatage and also try Paradise Lost.

Also for your less heavier side try BRIAN McFADDEN he used to be in a crappy Boy band in the UK but has just brought out an album that I am finding quite good.

Redmen62
01-28-2005, 05:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
the killers - hot fuss

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm willing to give these guys a try. I hated the first single but really like Mr Brightside.

LethalRose
01-28-2005, 06:01 AM
I like all of these, good rock songs. This is a small sample of what i like.

John Lennon - Imagine
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Eagles - Hotel California
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Doors - Light My Fire
Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
Beatles - A Day In The Life
Derek And The Dominoes - Layla
Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

oh and i forgot

Aerosmith - Dream on

awesome song, always pumps me up when running, its like eye of the tiger but 10x better

if you want new stuff the best way is to find a few local radio stations and find their website, they'll list their playlists there. www.atozlyrics.com (http://www.atozlyrics.com) and http://lyrics.astraweb.com/ are good for lyrics

thirddan
01-28-2005, 06:03 AM
i saw opeth a couple months ago, they sucked ass...played only slow stuff and the dude didn't scream/growl once, weakness...

oh well, to the OP, epica is quite good, or nightwish...also tristania is good for the melodic metal stuff, and hasn't been mentioned...

Redmen62
01-28-2005, 06:03 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Damn, which album is that from? I have 5 of theirs, but not the one with that song. /images/graemlins/frown.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Google tells me it's from Damnation

plaster8
01-28-2005, 07:15 AM
Good to see another fan of The Hip on the boards.

This may have been mentioned elsewhere, but I've been listening to The Black Keys a lot lately.

daveymck
01-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Tristiana have just got a new album/ep out that is very good.

You were lucky to see Opeth most forign metal bands only play london these days so is hard to get to see any. Think las tour was acoustic stuff, they did a heavy and a not so heavy album.

kemystery
01-28-2005, 08:26 AM
Rage Against the Machine
Audioslave
Me first and the Gimme Gimmes
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Rise Against
Weezer

add No Doubt and/or Jane's Addiction if you've never really listened to them either

ibankonu
01-28-2005, 09:22 AM
If you are into Tool, you should definitly be listening to A Perfect Circle.

sfer
01-28-2005, 11:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
John Lennon - Imagine
Bruce Springsteen - Born To Run
Eagles - Hotel California
Pink Floyd - Comfortably Numb
Doors - Light My Fire
Who - Won't Get Fooled Again
Beatles - A Day In The Life
Derek And The Dominoes - Layla
Rolling Stones - Satisfaction
Led Zeppelin - Stairway To Heaven

oh and i forgot

Aerosmith - Dream on

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a pretty eclectic list.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-28-2005, 11:37 AM
These are must-haves from the last year or so:

Coheed & Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3
Modest Mouse - Good News For People Who Love Bad News
Von Bondies - Pawn Shoppe Heart
Muse - Absolution
Breaking Benjamin - We Are Not Alone
Killers - Hot Fuss
AFI - Sing the Sorrow
Interpol - Antics
Snow Patrol - Final Straw

Other good ones that you should check out:

Auf der Maur - Auf der Maur
The Faint - Wet From Birth
Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea
Audioslave - Audioslave
A Perfect Circle - Mer de Noms (their first from about 2000, but it's better than the two that just came out not too long ago)
Travis - 12 Memories
Sonic Youth - Sonic Nurse (yes, they're still around - their latest of approx. 13947694697 albums)
Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand

Of course, there's always Radiohead and The Smashing Pumpkins - get any of their albums that you don't have already.

If you really like STP, then you might want to get the Velvet Revolver album. It pretty much sounds like STP and I loved one or two songs on it, but it's not all that great - you might be disappointed.

lucas9000
01-28-2005, 11:44 AM
stuff that i think might fit your tastes based on what you listed:

the arcade fire
hum (no longer around, but still awesome)
enon
flaming lips (get soft bulletin first)
built to spill
modest mouse
and you will know us by the trail of the dead

good canadian stuff:
godspeedyou!blackemperor
do make say think

i should probably get to work, so that's all for now.

lucas9000
01-28-2005, 11:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Opeth

[/ QUOTE ]

We're off to a good start... First track to arrive was "Windowpane". If this is indicative, we have a band I can definitely listen to at length. My proggy side is impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

your proggy side will bust a nut for opeth. they own.

lucas9000
01-28-2005, 11:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Inflames

[/ QUOTE ]

lucas9000
01-28-2005, 11:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
If you are into Tool, you should definitly be listening to

[/ QUOTE ]

meshuggah

Freakin
01-28-2005, 12:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
stuff that i think might fit your tastes based on what you listed:

[/ QUOTE ]

Aren't there numerous computer programs out there that do just this?

Check out radio stations for their top song lists, thats usually a good way to go.... If you like classic rock, kzok (http://www.kzok.com) has a good Top 1000 that would keep you busy for a while....

freakin

k000k
01-28-2005, 12:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If you like old type thrashy Metallica go for
Dark Tranquility
Inflames
Soilwork
Sentenced

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you, In Flames is one of my favorites ever! I have an mp3 cd in my car with 7 In Flames cd's on it (and a few other goodies), it's been the only cd in the cd player for months!

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 12:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
meshuggah

[/ QUOTE ]

Can we get these metal heads into some Deadguy already!??!

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Lucas,

Did you get that Centuar CD (basically Hum)...really good [censored].

The new Trail of Dead is "meh" upon first listen.

lucas9000
01-28-2005, 01:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Lucas,

Did you get that Centuar CD (basically Hum)...really good [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

no i haven't heard them. i will check them out.

[ QUOTE ]
The new Trail of Dead is "meh" upon first listen.

[/ QUOTE ]

i think "mistakes and regrets" might be their best song.

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 01:05 PM
thats a goodie, im still buying the CD, I have like 20 cds I have to purchase this weekend.

Centaur...Oh it's awesome, it's really hard to find. I had to get it from cheapcds.com

Wait For The Sun, might be floating around on the internet. It would be one of Hum's best songs.

Also, Ia ssume you like HopesFall, they did a lot of work with the Hum front man...and are pretty good imitators in a hardcore sort of way.

mmbt0ne
01-28-2005, 01:28 PM
Saosin - Translating the Name (EP)

It might be hard to find, so IM me (same name as here) and I'll send it to you. If you can't find the 2 acoustic songs with the album, definitely IM me, because those songs are amazing.

UncleRemus
01-28-2005, 01:40 PM
If you're enjoying Damnation, check out Porcupine Tree. Your proggy side will likely love them.

I also find a lot of people who get into Opeth also enjoy Pain of Salvation. They're pretty different from anything else, but if you had to classify them, I'd say Progressive Metal for lack of a better place. The vocalist/guitarist founder of the band, Daniel Gildenlow, is a musical genious with a serious singing talent and unique voice. I highly reccomend them, but give it a few listens as some of it is complex. Also, it helps to get a whole album, as all of their releases are concept albums and work best in a continuous listen with the lyrics.

Hope you enjoy,
Uncle Remus

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 01:45 PM
Saosin is very good, should reccomend them to Patrick, because he seems to love the Coheed.

I love that one that starts "Taking home...seven years..."

Crap I want to listen to that now.

Edit: I guess your name is in reference to the bosstones? I have an autographed Ska Core the Devil and More CD. Boooya!

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 01:46 PM
Just in case you miss it, mmbbtone reccomended Saosin, you will like them very much.

mmbt0ne
01-28-2005, 01:48 PM
Do you have the acoustic version of that and Third Measurement in C? They are sooooo badass.

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 01:53 PM
I'll have to check, I have 1000 mp3s I havent touched. I don't think so.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-28-2005, 01:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Just in case you miss it, mmbbtone reccomended Saosin, you will like them very much.

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip. I'm on it.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-28-2005, 02:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the tip. I'm on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
It appears as though this might be a difficult album/EP/whatever to get. Any tips on how one might acquire their music without kazaa-ing or seeing them live?

edit: of course - I IM mmbtone

mmbt0ne
01-28-2005, 02:02 PM
IM'ing me, or giving me a quick second to set up something illegal.

witeknite
01-28-2005, 02:34 PM
What about old Southern Culture on the Skids. Best. Band. Ever.

I got to see them live once and it was comical. At one point they actually threw pieces of Kentucky Fried Chicken into the audience.

WiteKnite

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-28-2005, 02:52 PM
Alright, so I listened to Saosin all the way through. I like it and I think they've got a lot of talent, but I could do with less screaming. I wasn't blown away enough to go out in search of their album, but it's good enough that I've put it on my DAP. Thanks, mmbtone.

eric5148
01-28-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
i saw opeth a couple months ago, they sucked ass...played only slow stuff and the dude didn't scream/growl once, weakness...

[/ QUOTE ]

I heard their latest album is all acoustic, so that's why.

eric5148
01-28-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
meshuggah

[/ QUOTE ]

Meshuggah fukin owns.

IndieMatty
01-28-2005, 05:10 PM
Ahh..ye with no hardcore background..the screaming is what makes it g00t!

No wonder you don't like the first Coheed album more then the second.

mmbt0ne
01-28-2005, 05:12 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">En réponse à:</font><hr />
No wonder you don't like the first Coheed album more then the second.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

I wouldn't have given you the cd if I had known this.

daveymck
01-29-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you are into Tool, you should definitly be listening to

[/ QUOTE ]

meshuggah

[/ QUOTE ]

Never got Meshugga, Dillinger Escape plan seem similar, cant get into them neither, its all the jazz overtones never like jazz. If like that sort of stuff try and get hold of stuff by a band called Atheist old style death metal but with jazz melodies and structure.

For the In Flames fans as well try Killswitch Engage and a new band just starting to break Twelve Tribes. Shadows Fall and The Haunted might be a good bet to check out.

Thoseinto AFI try Avenged Sevenfold pretty good but not as good as AFI, also Boysetsfire their last album is pretty good.

KINGOFINLAND
02-02-2005, 05:57 AM
If you wanna be cool check out this new band, or if you have played max payne you know the band maybe.
Anyway.. Poets of the fall is the name of band, and i must say i have never heard anything this good.
And since this band isint big in usa yet, you will be also cool if you listen it now /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Some good songs:
Lift
Maybe Tomorrow is a Better Day( you can download it here: http://www.danny.st/potf/)

You can check free clips from here http://www.poetsofthefall.com/?p=24

And also you know how the get the song without buying.. since it can take some time to get the CD in to usa.