PDA

View Full Version : Trip Report: Game Cube in Jersey City - NJ

Luv2DriveTT
01-27-2005, 11:45 PM
I decided to visit the new room Game Cube in Jersey City, NJ this evening. The owner was nice, and gave me permission to discuss his room here at 2+2.

I drove up at 8:30, about 45 mins into the tournament. I knew in advance is a room that mainly spreads no limit games, but the email I got from the room advertised 4/8 "by popular demand", but I was told that the limit game never got off the ground the prior week, and he doesn't expect it to happen this week either. The club room was nice, with posters of the Sopranos on the wall (what do you expect, its New Jersey!), a TV "den" complete with leather couches and board games, a kitchen with waitress service, and smoking allowed in the hallway. Although I think they have a total of 6 tables, only two were being used for the tourney, and another was waiting for the cash games to start. I decided to pass on the 1/2 NL ($100 min, $500 max) or $2/5 NL tables that were expected for the evening, party is my good friend with all the limit tables I want!

On a side note, the neighborhood sucks, but I felt ok leaving my car outside since there was a service station next door (extra set of eyes).

Rating time:

Room: 6 - not bad for a home run operation
Management: 7 - young guys, they seemed with it. Very friendly, not at all like the NYC rooms.
Location: -4 - Let’s face it Jersey City sucks. It attracts low lives, and bottom feeders. But it is just 4 mins from the Holland Tunnel
Air: Clean enough inside, the hallway smells like an ashtray
Hot Women Quotient: 0

Game selection: 2. Poker is not just NL, all the time, every day.
Game texture: Unknown - I left before I could find out

If you want the address and/or contact info, PM me.

TT /images/graemlins/club.gif

slickpoppa
01-28-2005, 12:01 AM
i would not want to park my car in jersey city or walk around with a large amount of cash in my pocket

Luv2DriveTT
01-28-2005, 01:48 AM
This area is not as bad, its a bunch of homes there just off Kenedy Blvd. I parked my TT there, I felt safe enough.

JerseyTom
01-28-2005, 01:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This area is not as bad, its a bunch of homes there just off Kenedy Blvd. I parked my TT there, I felt safe enough.

[/ QUOTE ]

I grew up next door in Bayonne and went to high school in JC, so I don't think the place is that bad at all. Newark and/or Camden would make me worry more.

TT, I'd be interested in knowing the location/contact info - might be something to do next time I go down to visit the folks.

Tom

slogger
01-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Would love more details, TT. Especially where is in relation to the Journal Square PATH station and/or any of the light rail stops.

Luv2DriveTT
01-28-2005, 03:07 PM
Not close to any that I am aware of, I had to drive... but it was just 4 mins from the tunnel. You could take the PATH, and jump on the light rail east to Newport, and take a $10 cab from there.

PS: How was Rounders on Tuesday?

TheJunkyardGod
01-28-2005, 03:21 PM
The idea of gambling in Jersey City is scarier than I can imagine.

I grew up there and can't imagine walking around (especially near the tunnel) with any large amount of money.