PDA

View Full Version : Several Marginal decisions with this JTo Hand?

MAxx
01-27-2005, 11:36 PM
SB is 37/1.5/.95
BB is 54/17/1.5

I only have 50-60hands, so these numbers arent real sturdy

I didnt realize that BB had not surrendered a blind in the 50 hands I had with him, so that made stealing with JTo marginal at best... but anyway.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is MP with T/images/graemlins/heart.gif, J/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, Hero calls, SB calls.

<font color="blue"> Ok, I dont like getting popped here, so I am thinking this will be a short-lived hand </font>

Flop: (9 SB) 9/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 2/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, SB calls, BB calls.

<font color="blue"> Ah shux, I have to go for a freebie. Was this bad after the pf action? </font>

Turn: (7.50 BB) J/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, BB checks, Hero checks.

<font color="blue"> Well that is not the turn card that I wanted to hit, but hmm. I don't want to call a c/r and I don't know where I stand... so I am going to go with the original plan of taking a freebie. Maybe i will still hit my straight still....</font>

River: (7.50 BB) 3/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 10.50 BB

<font color="blue"> well, i got a bet and a caller. i almost folded thinking that it would be wrong to overcall with this weakish hand, but then I thought about pot size, and I was closing the action and called. </font>

Any comments...

spydog
01-28-2005, 09:25 AM
Preflop: I fold. Conditions have to be perfect for me to play this. Like, really tight blinds.

Flop: I don't like raising for a free card when there is a good chance I will be 3-bet. Since BB made a fairly strong 3-bet preflop and led the flop, I'm inclined to believe that there is a good chance he will pop me with a 3-bet. So, I think I just call the flop.

Turn: Check is fine. You probably don't have the best hand and have little folding equity since the SB coldcalled 2 on the flop and looks destined for the river. Plus, as you said, you don't want to get CRed.

River: I think I can fold. The SB bets. The BB is telling you he has a calling hand. You are good here like 5% of the time. Fold.

spider
01-28-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree things could go either way on most streets.

Anyway, I lean towards folding pre-flop and just calling the flop.

Turn: my first thought was to take the freebie. But on second thought there is a good chance SB is on a straight or flush draw and BB has an ace -- which certainly argues for a bet. Downside is if SB just made his straight, or BB decided to wait until turn to raise his AQ/KK/AA. But BB probably 3bets those on the flop most of the time.

Yeah, I think this should be bet because you're almost committed to showing it down now (assuming river blank) and can probably do it for the same price by betting the turn since you're probably going to end up calling a river bet if you check turn. You might get raised but I don't think it's likely enough to make a bet wrong.

River: so the way it went down, I don't think you know where you stand, so I'd call unless you're pretty sure SB would only bet top pair or better here (as opposed to a busted draw obviously). And of course depends on any read of BB's calling standards there.

MAxx
01-28-2005, 11:21 AM
K2o for the sb

TT for the BB

MHIG

I agree with a lot of what you guys say. Especially about the preflop stuff. And probably just calling flop.

Had I just called flop, I am sure BB would have lead turn. I think once i hit on turn, I was committed to showdown for a total of 2 more BBs. JTo is a tough hand to play because it is so likely to make second best hands. I think the important lesson here is the preflop business.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Gazza
01-28-2005, 11:29 AM
Preflop: it's Ok sometimes, I'll do it when my table image is tightish and the blinds are either too tight or just bad players. But most of the time I probably just fold it.

Flop: Pretty good result. At least you have have a lot more equity in this pot now than you did when the BB made it 3 bets pre flop.

I also raise here most of the time. Not so much with the intention of taking a free card on the turn, although that is certainly an option, but because the pot is a decent size and I want to win it.
Don't forget you were the pre flop raiser. No need to clam up just because some LAG pops you. Why can't you have AQ or something like that after all. Also you are quite happy for the SB to fold and you don't mind being 3 bet (then I would probably cap and take the free card on the turn if it is available)

Turn: Considering that they just called our flop raise (admittedly the SB called 2 cold)and they have checked to us here there must be some chance that we are actually ahead now.
So I would fire another barrell with the intention of taking a free showdown if we don't improve. If someone still bets into us on the river then we can probably fold. If we get checkraised on the turn then that's not great but we can live with it.

River: Well it sure feels like it's all over but I would call as well. A busted flush draw from the SB (or another JT) and AK from the BB would not be inconsistent with the betting. You don't have to be right very often here.

Gazza

MAxx
01-28-2005, 12:03 PM
so if i bet turn and get c/r'd- i call turn c/r.

then fold to a river bet unimproved, right?

spydog
01-28-2005, 12:36 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so if i bet turn and get c/r'd- i call turn c/r.

then fold to a river bet unimproved, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.