PDA

View Full Version : -200 BB in 1000 hands

chabibi
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
seems like a huge slide for such a short period, is it possible that it is due to variance? id like to think so but im not sure. has anyone else seen such a drastic drop so quickly? should i be woried?

Grisgra
01-28-2005, 02:15 AM
It's grim, but I've gone through something similar before. I doubt it's *just* variance, but most of it could be. Regardless, it's worth it to step back and take a closer look at your game.

Just in case /images/graemlins/smile.gif.

mosquito
01-28-2005, 02:52 AM
It's well within the possible variance of a winning
player, but is fairly unlikely for someone with a
reasonable win rate.

It's much more likely for a break even player.

Happens to losers frequently.

Might want to review your play.

dogmeat
01-28-2005, 03:02 AM
Variance? What else would you attribute it to? Poor play? Rigged site?

It happens. I had two 90BB losers out of three sessions today. No matter what anybody says, playing poker is gambling - that means betting on an unknown outcome. The cards don't know that you just lost six straight hands.

Playing an aggressive style, especially if you are raising with draws (at the right time) against a large number of callers will sometimes result in 100 or more hands played where you only win one or two and take a substantial loss. When you pick-up 10 winners in 100 hands you will again be ahead unless you tilted in the interum. Better luck to you.

Dogmeat /images/graemlins/spade.gif

Reef
01-28-2005, 06:28 AM
unless you got suck out after suck out & absolutely no hands, -20BB/100 is cause for worry. Not many rushes are 20BB/100 over 1k hands.

chabibi
01-28-2005, 07:39 AM
today probably was the worst streak of suckouts ive ever seen in my relatively short poker career it took me 8000 hands to win the 200 BB and 1000 to lose it, im reviewing my stats trying to find the problem, but im totally new to online, these were my first 9000 hands and im not really sure what to look for regarding my stats. if anyone could point me in the right direction i would be very grateful

thanks in advance

einbert
01-28-2005, 08:26 AM
What level are you playing? If you're playing 1/2 during the day I think this is quite possible due to the LAG nature of the games there. Any other level and it seems like you were probably playing too many hands. I mean you should only get involved in about 180-200 of 1000 hands, so you're losing like 1BB/hand you get involved in. I would review my turn and river play for the 1k hands and make sure I'm not being overaggressive or taking hands too far against obviously being beaten.

It's possible that it's just variance, even at .5/1 it could just be bad suckout after bad suckout I think. Regardless I would take a day or two off to recuperate, losing that much gain in such a short period of time (1k hands is one day of play for me) is sure to get you playing badly unless you are very very careful.

Rudbaeck
01-28-2005, 09:28 AM
Your stats are going to be skewed if you had a bad run initially, so looking at them might not be very useful.

If it was one of those days where all your straights lost to backdoor flushes, top pair top kicker got beat by UTGs 92o etc etc it's not impossible to drop 200BB in 1000 hands. (I've not done it myself, but I've been pretty close.)

Post hands you were unsure about in the relevant forum.

DeeJ
01-28-2005, 10:17 AM
I have been beating the 5/10 at a fairly regular 1.5 - 2BB for 40,000 + hands.

In the last 2000 hands I have lost 120BB, most of it in the last 1000 hands. I have been sucked out on and missed draws, and the draws I have hit have been the 2nd nuts (and the 2nd best hand at showdown /images/graemlins/mad.gif ).

I am pretty sure if you replay the hands where you lost most of the money, and see how often they were suckouts against you when you were otherwise ahead (or you missed a strong draw with correct odds to be in the hand).

KidPokerX
01-28-2005, 03:41 PM
It's not entirely abnormal, however, I think reviewing your play would be the next logical course of action. I wouldn't be surprised to see a few leaks.
Plug 'em up and get rollin'!

"Bets" of luck

-KidPokerX

AceHighone
01-28-2005, 03:44 PM
I would be worried. This is not normal, but there is always a small chance of it happening. I would still be worried that my play caused at least half of this loss. This type of streak often happens when you are multi-tabling and fail to quickly recognize the type of game you are in (TAG,LAG etc.) and it runs contrary to your natural best game.