PDA

View Full Version : What's next

jstnrgrs
01-27-2005, 09:59 PM
Can anyone list the next few letters in the following infinite sequence?

OTTFFS

eric5148
01-27-2005, 10:06 PM
STFU

jstnrgrs
01-27-2005, 10:07 PM
wrong

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 10:08 PM
URGAY

jstnrgrs
01-27-2005, 10:09 PM
very funny, but no

eric5148
01-27-2005, 10:10 PM
QLC

lastchance
01-27-2005, 10:11 PM
I think the point they're making is that they've seen this so many freaking times it's not good anymore, I know I have.

One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten. Ok?

If anyone's up for a mental puzzle/riddle, I have a pretty good (extremely hard) one.

eric5148
01-27-2005, 10:15 PM
Aw, you ruined it. You and your serious correct answer. /images/graemlins/mad.gif

pshreck
01-27-2005, 10:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I think the point they're making is that they've seen this so many freaking times it's not good anymore, I know I have.

One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten. Ok?

If anyone's up for a mental puzzle/riddle, I have a pretty good (extremely hard) one.

[/ QUOTE ]

give it

lastchance
01-27-2005, 11:17 PM
Aite, some of you probably already heard this.

There are 100 prisoners on death row. The guard comes out and tells them that a week from now, he's going to march them up in a line, facing forward to the guy in front. They aren't separated, they can organize to form a plan.

The guard is going to take his box with a 100 hats that are either black or white, and put one of those hats on every prisoner.

The guard is going to ask every prisoner whether his hat is black or white, starting from the back working his way to the front.

They must answer correctly 99 out of 100 times to be spared, otherwise they all die.

The prisoners can only see the hats in front of them. The last guy can see 99 hats, every hat that every prisoner is wearing besides his own, while the first guy will be unable to see any hat.

They can't look up, they can't see their own hats or that of anyone behind them, or they all die.

They can't answer in any funny ways or say anything besides black or white, or they all die.

The prisoners know they're going to live. What's their plan?

InchoateHand
01-27-2005, 11:48 PM
This can be solved for any number of prisoners, or any numbers of colors of hats. (If we call colors C, and prisoners P, you can always guess P-1/C correctly). I won't blurt out the answer, because I wasn't smart enough to figure it out on my own when I was first shown a variant of this.

Ulysses
01-28-2005, 12:18 AM
Wow. Unless I'm missing something, that seems like the simplest puzzle of all time.

eggzz
01-28-2005, 12:22 AM
Ok, I'm sure this is wrong because you said they cant answer in "funny ways" but my thought was that the last guy may get his wrong because he can't see his own hat, but he answers and then places his left hand on the left shoulder of the guy in front of him if that guys hat is white or right hand on right shoulder if his hat is black, and so on and so forth. But this is probably not allowed.

But I tried.

jdl22
01-28-2005, 12:25 AM
They need to be correct exactly 99/100 or at least? At least is trivial.

Daliman
01-28-2005, 01:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Aite, some of you probably already heard this.

There are 100 prisoners on death row. The guard comes out and tells them that a week from now, he's going to march them up in a line, facing forward to the guy in front. They aren't separated, they can organize to form a plan.

The guard is going to take his box with a 100 hats that are either black or white, and put one of those hats on every prisoner.

The guard is going to ask every prisoner whether his hat is black or white, starting from the back working his way to the front.

They must answer correctly 99 out of 100 times to be spared, otherwise they all die.

The prisoners can only see the hats in front of them. The last guy can see 99 hats, every hat that every prisoner is wearing besides his own, while the first guy will be unable to see any hat.

They can't look up, they can't see their own hats or that of anyone behind them, or they all die.

They can't answer in any funny ways or say anything besides black or white, or they all die.

The prisoners know they're going to live. What's their plan?

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, with 100 prisoners, the answer either wouldn't work, or would take forever to do, but here's the answer,in both forms (also, i think there would have to be an equal # of black and white hats, so i think you are missing more than a bit of the equation);

<font color="white"> If the first prisoner asked can see all the rest of the hats, and the hats are 50/50 he can count the black and white hats in front of him and act accordingly, as can the rest, I.E. If there are 49 white and 50 Black hats in front of him, he can answer "white", etc.

The 2nd way is to use one color as signifying even, and one as odd. They would all decide what color to key from, and the first person, who could see everyone else, would count the key color and answer odd or even. His would be the only one thtat could possibly be wrong when done right, as his answer is based on those seen in front of him, and is effectively a guess.

Example: Black =odd and White = even The key color is black.

Lets do this with 10, just to make show it works right; I ain't going through this 100 times...

Hats are BBWBWBWBBB
First guy see all 9 other hats, sees 6 black hats, even #, so he says "white". His is a total guess, and is wrong. 1 wrong, cant miss any more.
#2 Knows there should be an even # of black in front of him, since #1 said "white", which is the code word for an even amount of the key color, which is black. he sees and odd # of black in front of him though, therefore HIS hat MUST be black. He says black, and is right.
#3 The last person said black, so there is now an odd # of blacks left. HE SEES an odd number of blacks, therefore, his hat must be white. He is right.
#4 next guy sees even # of black hats, therefore he knows that there should be an odd #, so he is black.

Etc, etc, etc.</font>

BreakEvenPlayer
01-28-2005, 01:47 AM
There's a guy who has to start pushing his car.

As he is pushing it along he comes up to a motel.

He stops pushing his car right in front of the motel and immediately knows he is bankrupt.

Why?

Daliman
01-28-2005, 01:55 AM
[ QUOTE ]

He stops pushing his car right in front of the motel and immediately knows he is bankrupt.

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]

See, these open-ended puzzles are stupid. WAY too many variables and plausible answers.

#1 He sees his wife leaving the motel with a dead body.
#2 The motel is his and it is on fire.
#3 In the reflection in the motel's window, he sees his house blow up.
#4 HE is pushing a rolls royce phaeton he had borrowed from a freind, and the engine falls out.

BreakEvenPlayer
01-28-2005, 02:59 AM
Dude,

None of your thoughtless guesses have to do both with the fact that he is pushing his car and that he stops in front of a hotel and knows he is bankrupt.

This puzzle is not stupid.

mmbt0ne
01-28-2005, 03:02 AM
SENTETTFFSSENTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF FFF etc. etc.

astroglide
01-28-2005, 03:03 AM
i think he's got it nailed. the answer to most of these is totally gay because the whole situation is basically infinite.

BreakEvenPlayer
01-28-2005, 03:06 AM
I agree there are many gay puzzles but this is not one of them.

Jman28
01-28-2005, 03:07 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Dude,

None of your thoughtless guesses have to do both with the fact that he is pushing his car and that he stops in front of a hotel and knows he is bankrupt.

This puzzle is not stupid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just tell us, then we can decide if it's stupid. I give up on behalf of everyone.

-Jman28

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 03:31 AM
You are most of the way there, but I think you googled it and didn't understand the answer. The answer is still relatively easy with 100 prisoners. With 1000 prisoners and 10 colors, you are going to need some paper. But with just two colors and 100 prisoners, hopefully all can deduce odd and even numbers from 100 possible.

Daliman
01-28-2005, 03:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
You are most of the way there, but I think you googled it and didn't understand the answer. The answer is still relatively easy with 100 prisoners. With 1000 prisoners and 10 colors, you are going to need some paper. But with just two colors and 100 prisoners, hopefully all can deduce odd and even numbers from 100 possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

#1 I didn't google it. I'm not even quite sure what i'd type in TO google it.
#2 Are you saying I'm wrong? I don't think I am. I may not have explained it well, but I'm pretty sure I am right here.
P.S. I don't think it's possible with 100 and 10 colors. As a matter of fact, I'm positive it's not, so I'm not sure what you are saying here.

Alobar
01-28-2005, 04:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree there are many gay puzzles but this is not one of them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you are wrong, its pretty gay. Cuz there are a million answers that will work to this one. Your answer might be the wittiest/make the most sense, but that doesnt mean its the only answer

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 04:07 AM
You are almost right.

There don't need to be an even number (50/50) of hats. Because there is a total even number (100), and the prisoner with the greatest view can only see 99 (less his own), the initial division will be between odd and even. He picks which ever has the odd number. That will give the prisoners who follow all the information they need. There is a 50% chance he is correct, thus in the aggregate this method is 99.5% correct.

If there were 99 prisoners instead, thi scould be solved just as easily by reversing which the initial prisoner chooses.

Daliman
01-28-2005, 04:09 AM
I'm very sorry your weak-ass open ended BS puzzle failed to properly hijack this thread. No need to get in a tizzy.

P.S. A specific word was key here, and you blew it.
[ QUOTE ]

He stops pushing his car right in front of the motel. and immediately knows he is bankrupt.

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
P.P.S. Luxury tax is also right in front of where a HOTEL might be.

Better luck next time.

Daliman
01-28-2005, 04:12 AM
Ok, so, as I said, my second instance is absolutely right, not mostly. Good luck counting 99 hts on heads of people directly in front of you was my main point though.

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:13 AM
why not just work out a system? if the guy in front of you's hat is black, grab his ass cheeks. if not, give him a reach around.

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 04:14 AM
Obviously ten colors isn't feasible, nor really is two. My point was that the solution isn't predicated on an even split between the colors. My powers of explicaiton wane with inebriation, and thankfully, I don't anticipate incarceration, or this challenge, any time in the immediate future.

Daliman
01-28-2005, 04:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
why not just work out a system? if the guy in front of you's hat is black, grab his ass cheeks. if not, give him a reach around.

[/ QUOTE ]
Remind me again how it is yer smarter than me? /images/graemlins/ooo.gif

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:19 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is this not the answer? it violates no rule.

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:27 AM
I'm very sorry your weak-ass open ended BS puzzle failed to properly hijack this thread. No need to get in a tizzy.

P.S. A specific word was key here, and you blew it.

He stops pushing his car right in front of the motel. and immediately knows he is bankrupt.

Why?

[/ QUOTE ]
P.P.S. Luxury tax is also right in front of where a HOTEL might be.

Better luck next time.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha.. owned.

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 04:28 AM
Though I'm going to blame the poster of the riddle for not fully clarifying, I think it is a marginal call that the old reach around is not in violation of the [ QUOTE ]
They can't answer in any funny ways

[/ QUOTE ] rule.

BreakEvenPlayer
01-28-2005, 04:28 AM
It's called a lateral thinking puzzle. The random BS you could come up with as an answer isn't the point. The point is to think outside the box which it looks like you finally did.

I think you were the one who got into a tizzy.

Whatever, nice job solving it milky tits.

Alobar
01-28-2005, 04:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

To bad someone already came up with this

[ QUOTE ]

Ok, I'm sure this is wrong because you said they cant answer in "funny ways" but my thought was that the last guy may get his wrong because he can't see his own hat, but he answers and then places his left hand on the left shoulder of the guy in front of him if that guys hat is white or right hand on right shoulder if his hat is black, and so on and so forth. But this is probably not allowed.

But I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:32 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is it too bad? seems like it's too good.. to be wrong. that ain't no funny answer. nothing is funny about a reach around dude.

Alobar
01-28-2005, 04:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

But I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

is it too bad? seems like it's too good.. to be wrong. that ain't no funny answer. nothing is funny about a reach around dude.

[/ QUOTE ]

does it have to go to completion?

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 04:35 AM
Only if you want the extra point.

Daliman
01-28-2005, 04:36 AM
[ QUOTE ]
It's called a lateral thinking puzzle. The random BS you could come up with as an answer isn't the point. The point is to think outside the box which it looks like you finally did.

I think you were the one who got into a tizzy.

Whatever, nice job solving it milky tits.

[/ QUOTE ]

Aw, that's a shame. When a grown(?) man has to resort to name calling rather than admit he not only made a weak attempt, but COMPLETELY blew the delivery anyways, it's a sad day. Course, you're used to them. Been called worse by better, sonny. Enjoy Philip Rivers.

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:36 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on whether or not they are all two pump chumps like you /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Daliman
01-28-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of COURSE there is! Ever get one from a 55 year old clown?

......uh, me neither. Nevermind.

Alobar
01-28-2005, 04:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

But I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

depends on whether or not they are all two pump chumps like you /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your mom tell you everything?

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:42 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

Of COURSE there is! Ever get one from a 55 year old clown?

......uh, me neither. Nevermind.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha ok i laughed out loud.

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:42 AM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But I tried.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Does your mom tell you everything?

[/ QUOTE ]

clearly she does. BOOM!

BreakEvenPlayer
01-28-2005, 04:52 AM
When I first heard the answer to that puzzle I nearly [censored] my pants I thought it was so clever.

Was calling you "milky tits" really an insult?

And finally, I don't know who your team is, but the Chargers will be a playoff team for at least the next quarter-decade. Rivers along with either M. Williams or Edwards with the NY Giants 1st rounder? And then a healthy L Tomlinson? Gates? Look out! I hope you're not a Giants fan. ShEli is in for another long season.

daryn
01-28-2005, 04:54 AM
chargers suck!

Daliman
01-28-2005, 04:58 AM
[ QUOTE ]
When I first heard the answer to that puzzle I nearly [censored] my pants I thought it was so clever.

Was calling you "milky tits" really an insult?

And finally, I don't know who your team is, but the Chargers will be a playoff team for at least the next quarter-decade. Rivers along with either M. Williams or Edwards with the NY Giants 1st rounder? And then a healthy L Tomlinson? Gates? Look out! I hope you're not a Giants fan. ShEli is in for another long season.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why, MY favorite team is the Minnesota Vikings. We ALWAYS look forward to being in(and out) of the playoffs, although a quarter decade being only 2.5 years aint saying lots for the bolts. I actually like the bolts, but losing Brees will hurt, and I think rivers will need another year or two, but I can;t help but see Tim COuch written all over him...

NLSoldier
01-28-2005, 05:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Why, MY favorite team is the Minnesota Vikings. We ALWAYS look forward to being in(and out) of the playoffs, although a quarter decade being only 2.5 years aint saying lots for the bolts. I actually like the bolts, but losing Brees will hurt, and I think rivers will need another year or two, but I can;t help but see Tim COuch written all over him...

[/ QUOTE ]

With Randy and Daunte and 3 solid RBs, I'd say the vikes will be in the playoffs for at least the next quarter of a decade, and who knows, maybe even the next 3 eigths of a decade...

BTW, I played against Mahwelde Moore at Canterbury the other day. I checkraised him and he mucked and was like "na na, don't you be doin none a dat to me bro, you can save dat [censored] fo these otha guys" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BreakEvenPlayer
01-28-2005, 06:43 AM
Haha. That's hilarious.