View Full Version : Party $11-33's - Maintaining folding equity

otctrader
01-27-2005, 09:27 PM
General theory question for a situation which often arises in these games - game is 5 or 6 handed, blinds 50/100 sitting in UTG+2 with 600 chips; if you let the next round of blinds pass you'll be down to 450 and nothing more than a nuisance to the big stacks.

At this point, are you resigned to pushing any two out of UTG+2 or UTG, or is this a reckless move? Assume when you are UTG both blinds have you covered with a mid-stack ~1000ish. Also assume the table has a proclivity to limp/min-raise, so chances are you won't be able to get into a heads up situation with the other blind if you pass up the UTG+2/UTG shove.

FishBurger
01-27-2005, 11:09 PM
I play the $22s and this situation stumps me, also. If you push and everyone folds, your stack grows a little bit. But, if you push and get called you are probably going to lose.

I tend to push semi-marginal hands here, but I won't push any two. That's not really much of an answer, but that's what I do.

El Maximo
01-27-2005, 11:30 PM
Generally speaking, the most aggressive time for me is when I have around 5BB. But this doesnt mean I will commit sng suicide. If a +EV situation isnt available than I will fall below 5BB and look for the best opportunity to double up.

hovemag
01-28-2005, 08:19 AM
As a newbie this is one of the situations that I find most interesting. Playing tight for the early levels leaves me in this position fairly regularly so I what I try to do is identify the times when garbage push is more likely to be succesful.
The things I try and factor in are obvious I suppose.
How likely will I be to get another chance to be first to act
Pay attention in early rounds to see who is likely to have loose calling standards
Stack sizes- Avoid pushing if the BB is big stack or there are any players at the desperate stage.

Strangely when I succesfully push with nothing I cant decide if I am a poker genius or an idiot, and when I get caught I tend to think "Oh well at least I didnt get blinded out"

rachelwxm
01-28-2005, 10:59 AM
One time I push 53o UTG 6 handed and suck out when AJ called, the whole table breaks down and we made money in next three hands. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Scarr123
01-28-2005, 01:28 PM
You need to start thinking about your stack size before the blinds hit 50/100 and you're UTG. If you haven't been able to increase your stack in level 1 and 2, you need to get more aggressive at 25/50.

That said, in this position, push any two reasonable cards (Ax, PP, etc). If you get 72o twice, just fold it down and hope for the best in the blinds.