PDA

View Full Version : Which championship is the hardest to win?

Shajen
01-27-2005, 06:28 PM
World Series IMO.

Tyler Durden
01-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Great thread man. You rule so hard.

M2d
01-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Olympic Decathalon

BusterStacks
01-27-2005, 06:31 PM
WSOP

TylerD
01-27-2005, 06:33 PM
No way.

Zoltri
Tour de France

Shajen
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming I'm being lame here huh?

Already done? If so, well, I suck. Sorry.

stabn
The masters.

jdl22
01-27-2005, 06:34 PM
I'm going with little league world series.

eric5148
01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
RPS Championship.

Zoltri
01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Your right. /images/graemlins/grin.gif
I cant believe I posted "Tour de France".

Lazymeatball
01-27-2005, 06:36 PM
Hardest to win for who? A team? A guy? Drew Beldsoe got a Super Bowl ring and although he did play a bit, he still blows overall.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Hardest to win for who? A team? A guy? Drew Beldsoe got a Super Bowl ring and although he did play a bit, he still blows overall.

[/ QUOTE ]

I dunno, you tell me. /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

A_C_Slater
01-27-2005, 06:39 PM
Iron Man triatholon that is held in Hawaii every year. A combination of long distance swimming, biking, and then running.

Poker tournaments (Unknown). Though I would be curious to know if it really is the World Series Main Event.

Tyler Durden
01-27-2005, 06:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming I'm being lame here huh?

Already done? If so, well, I suck. Sorry.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're not being TOTALLY lame, it's just that you didn't give any choices.

threeonefour
01-27-2005, 06:55 PM
World Chess Championship and its not even close. Even the most gifted natural talents would have to dedicate the vast majority of their lives to chess for twenty years to even have a shot.

pshreck
01-27-2005, 06:58 PM
From a preparation/competition standpoint.... it is so clearly the Superbowl. I would say the famous "and its not even cl...." but I hate that now. But it really applies to this.

drewjustdrew
01-27-2005, 07:00 PM
Eco-challenge. Not only do you have to be physically and mentally fit and tough, you have to put up with your less fit and tough teammates bitching and causing accidents/injuries. This is tougher than the iditarod. The dogs do all the work there.

A_C_Slater
01-27-2005, 07:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
World Chess Championship and its not even close. Even the most gifted natural talents would have to dedicate the vast majority of their lives to chess for twenty years to even have a shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. This is the intellectual equivalent of winning the Iron Man triatholon.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 07:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're not being TOTALLY lame, it's just that you didn't give any choices.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too many choices to list and I know I'd miss something if I did list stuff.

Rick Diesel
01-27-2005, 07:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
From a preparation/competition standpoint.... it is so clearly the Superbowl. I would say the famous "and its not even cl...." but I hate that now. But it really applies to this.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might agree with you if every football playoff was a best of 7 series, but due to each round being one game, this can not possibly even be considered anywhere near the toughest. It is just too easy for one team to play extremely good or bad in a one game situation to make this the toughest.

BeerMoney
01-27-2005, 08:01 PM
Men's 100 meter dash, and here's why.

I've said this a million times, but the hardest competition to win is the event with the toughest competition.

So, almost all people on the planet, and more importantly, all people interested in sports would at some point find out if they are gifted sprinters, simply by chasing after something at some point. Now, how many people are going to be able to find out if they are good at ice hockey, archery, etc...?

So, I think we've all had a chance to find out if we are competitive runners.

That's my opinion.

Shillx
01-27-2005, 08:06 PM
Hotdog eating.

Not even close. Do you see why?

wacki
01-27-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We have a winner for the mental.

For the physical? Not sure.... Ultimate Fighting Championship? Olympic marathon?

Reef
01-27-2005, 08:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Olympic Decathalon

[/ QUOTE ]

SomethingClever
01-27-2005, 08:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
World Series IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? Way off.

I'm thinking either NCAA Football or Basketball.

Football, you lose one game the entire season, and you're done.

Basketball, you gotta beat 6 different top teams in a row (as opposed to playing the same team in a series, where you can adjust).

And you're competing with 117 or so teams, not just 28.

pshreck
01-27-2005, 08:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I might agree with you if every football playoff was a best of 7 series, but due to each round being one game, this can not possibly even be considered anywhere near the toughest. It is just too easy for one team to play extremely good or bad in a one game situation to make this the toughest.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, this debate is unclear in its guidelines. If we are talkinging odds of winning a championship, then no, football is not the hardest. But in terms of the best atheletes and sports minds in the world, all competing against eachother, I would say the NFL is the hardest championship to obtain.

For the same reason, it should be held above all other competitions, as truly the most elite competing event on the face of the planet.

Clarkmeister
01-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Kentucky Derby. You only get one shot.

Dynasty
01-27-2005, 08:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Kentucky Derby. You only get one shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jockeys get more than one chance.

TylerD
01-27-2005, 09:03 PM
Well it has to be an individual event IMO because with team events you don't have to be the best player you have to be one of the best players.

I would say any of the tennis Grand Slam events are pretty tough.

jstnrgrs
01-27-2005, 09:38 PM
Everyone her is a moron. The answer is the Stanley cup. And it's not even close (serioulsy). Do you see why? (seriously)

Clarkmeister
01-27-2005, 09:53 PM
True, but the Jockey isn't the one who gets mentioned as the Kentucky Derby Champion.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 09:55 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Everyone her is a moron. The answer is the Stanley cup. And it's not even close (serioulsy). Do you see why? (seriously)

[/ QUOTE ]because their not playing this year?

Gatts
01-27-2005, 10:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude it's the same in baseball and basketball which are best of sevens. We're all poker players here so we know about the long term, a 162 game series isn't even long term. We're talking a miniscule difference between the talent of two World Series teams a lot of times, and most of the difference would be one time winning 55% of the games if they played for a full season. Over a 7 game series it's mostly luck.

ClaytonN
01-27-2005, 10:38 PM
World Illiterate Scrabble Championships

Cubswin
01-27-2005, 10:56 PM
The derby isnt even the hardest triple crown race to win... that belongs to the belmont

Clarkmeister
01-27-2005, 11:50 PM
The Belmont routinely has 7 and 8 horse fields. The Derby will never go at less than the full 20 unless there is a late scratch. It's necessarily tougher.

deacsoft
01-27-2005, 11:59 PM
Paper-rock-scissors.

kyro
01-28-2005, 12:07 AM
spelling bee

deacsoft
01-28-2005, 12:11 AM
[ QUOTE ]
spelling bee

[/ QUOTE ]

U meen speling bea, write?

Sporky
01-28-2005, 12:43 AM
http://www.rpschamps.com/04gallery/Images/Final_Match_Birrell_Vs__Rammage.jpg

http://www.rpschamps.com/04gallery/Images/Referee_Bromstein_in_qualifying_rounds.jpg

http://www.rpschamps.com/04gallery/Images/Rammage_Celebrates.jpg

tolbiny
01-28-2005, 01:24 AM
Gonna have to disagee with you here.
Learn to play Go.
Chess is cool and difficult and stuff, but Go is considered the most complicated board game in the world.

tolbiny
01-28-2005, 01:28 AM
What about the difficulty of winning? In a 100 meter dash there isn't much strategy- just physical performance.
For years Boxing would have been cosidered up there- lots of competition, and the need to adjust ot your opponents. Ohh yeah, and getting the crap beaten out of you at work everyday.
Much much harder than running in a straight line for 100 meters.

tolbiny
01-28-2005, 01:38 AM
World Series isn't even close- you may be a low percentage shot- but basically anyone with $10,000 and a hot run of cards has a chance.

At one point it was definately boxing- now to many titles, not a lot of talent going into it. Everything eles that has been mentioned they have a cometition of dozens to hundreds every year. In boxing Two guys a year get a shot at the champ, maybe three or four but two would be tune ups for the big fights.

Anyone who said the NFL/MLB/NBA needs to get their ego-centric heads out of their asses and remeber that 90% of the world plays soccer. The world cup is by far the most difficult team championship to win (not counting those bizzare ecochallenge things).

goofball
01-28-2005, 06:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Tour de France

[/ QUOTE ]

i can't imagine why this one hasn't gotten more votes

pokerjo22
01-28-2005, 07:44 PM
Well in that case I have to go with the UK's Grand National. Just in terms of deaths per competitor it has to be one of the toughest.

M2d
01-28-2005, 07:50 PM
For team sports, I think you're on the right track. the once every four years thing is why I listed Olympic Decathalon as my choice.

scotty34
01-28-2005, 07:53 PM
Not a chance its the WSOP. If I had the money to buy into it every year, just purely based on luck, I would have a much better chance of winning that than I do in winning the Olympic Decathalon, Tour De France or Ironman Triathalon as mentioned above.

wacki
01-28-2005, 07:57 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Gonna have to disagee with you here.
Learn to play Go.
Chess is cool and difficult and stuff, but Go is considered the most complicated board game in the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, but the competition isn't anywhere near as intense.

Victor
01-28-2005, 08:01 PM
the wsop is probably the easiest to win.