PDA

View Full Version : Going out with your parents.

partygirluk
01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
When I was interning last summer, I mentioned that I took my parents out to see Paul McCartney live. It was a complete surprise for my mum, and they loved every minute of it. I enjoyed myself to. The nice guy who shared my desk started teasing me about taking out my mum. A couple of times later he mentioned that he was visiting his mum, and seemed to see this as some kind of chore.

Maybe he had a particularly bad mum, but my parents have given me everything. Life, food, accommadation, education, tonnes of love. I know they would do anything for me. Whilst they are not the kinds of people who would be my friends if they were not family, they are decent people and I owe them a lot. I don't see going out with them as a chore. They have given me so much, and I get pleasure out of repaying it as best I can. And when they get old, I hope that I can look after them, spend time with them, give them company.

What are your attitudes to your parents?

sfer
01-27-2005, 06:27 PM
Be thankful that your parents aren't insane. Not everyone is so lucky.

eric5148
01-27-2005, 06:29 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Or hate you.

Sponger15SB
01-27-2005, 06:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Word.

90% of the time my mom is heinous (10% she is the coolest ever, its really bizzare) and I haven't talked to my dad in 5 years besides an occasional 5 minute cussing match when he shows up at my summer job 1x a year.

When my parents got divorced he payed no child support and got such a nasty lawyer he even got spousal support in order to start up his own business (not to mention in the divorce settlement he asked for things such as my TV I got for christmas, etc), I took a stand and told him if he didn't change I wouldn't agree see him because it was unfair to me and my mom, and he didn't back down.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 06:31 PM
Both my parents are dead, so my attitude is the guy at work who sees it as a chore is a [censored] deuche.

They won't always be around. Make the best of the time you have with them.

mmbt0ne
01-27-2005, 06:36 PM
My mom is the coolest, and I would do anything she needed me to.

My dad is weird. He's great to hang out with, but horrible as a dad when it comes to me, my brother, and my sister. He's a good father with his new family, so hopefully he learned something.

banditbdl
01-27-2005, 06:41 PM
My parents are selfish pricks who have burned me with 100% efficiency whenever I really truly needed them to be there for me. I've basically tried to remove any emotional connection to them because I realize they are just going to keep burning me over and over again. I still see and talk to them occassionaly but I just view them in a totally different light.

namknils
01-27-2005, 06:46 PM
I love my parents and they love me. We honestly never have any problems. I feel sorry for all of you who had bad experiences with your parents, just remember what not to do if you become parents.

Sponger15SB
01-27-2005, 06:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I love my parents and they love me. We honestly never have any problems. I feel sorry for all of you who had bad experiences with your parents, just remember what not to do if you become parents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it really is weird. I come from like happyfamilyville. I remember in junior year of high school our english teacher asked our class of like 20 people if anyones parents were divorced and I was the only person that raised my hand.

The one good thing I have is that my friends parents are practically like my own, I've gone to visit a few of them when I'm home from school for the weekend and my friends aren't even there. One of my friends parents even gave me a rediculously large loan so I could afford to go to school in Santa Barbara, they have also let my borrow their daughters car when mine used to break down all the time, and they flew me out to Boston hang out with their daughter one time too.

Familes come in all different ways, and I'm really glad I have people I can talk to even if my relationship with my parents goes sour.

Rick Diesel
01-27-2005, 07:00 PM
I am just like you, in that I would do anything for my parents. My dad and I go golfing every Saturday when the weather is nice, and I wouldn't trade that time for anything in the world. My mom is great too, as she would do anything for me. I go to visit my parents at least once a week when I am not out of town for work. They live about 30 minutes from me.

My dad and i are currently in the process of planning his retirement present from me. I am going to fly us out to California, and we will drive up and down the coast, playing a bunch of the nicest golf courses. He is a teacher and next school year (05-06) is his last year.

If anyone has any good courses that we should definitely play while we are there, please PM me (trying not to hijack the thread). I already have Torrey Pines, La Jolla, and Pebble Beach on the list.

Ulysses
01-27-2005, 07:14 PM
My parents are great. We don't have a lot of common interests, though, so I rarely do much with them. When I visit, it's usually just sitting around the house, eating meals together, playing scrabble, and maybe watching a movie with my mom, since my dad just falls asleep in movies.

Dynasty
01-27-2005, 10:02 PM
Bowling with Mommy (http://archiveserver.twoplustwo.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=604478&page=&view=&sb=5&o =&fpart=all&vc=1)

Spend time with them when you get the chance because the chances won't always be there.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
fix this immediately!!!!!!!!

thank you /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

lastchance
01-27-2005, 10:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
My parents are great. We don't have a lot of common interests, though, so I rarely do much with them.

[/ QUOTE ] Ditto.

partygirluk
01-28-2005, 01:08 AM
I come from happyfamilyville too. I have always had a good education, mixed with nice Jewish families etc. Almost everyone I knew before I went to university came from a nondivorced, at minimum middle class family. As a result of this, I feel sorry for myself that my parents are too strict, they have a go at me for going to bed too late etc. Really stupid things like this.

Threads like this help remind me how lucky I am. Thanks.

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 01:11 AM
Very similar attitude to OP. With slight qualifications.