PDA

View Full Version : 15% of African Americans believe AIDS was created to kill them

Zoltri
01-27-2005, 04:00 PM
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33695-2005Jan24.html) /images/graemlins/confused.gif

sthief09
01-27-2005, 04:01 PM
pitiful

pshreck
01-27-2005, 04:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Washington Post (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33695-2005Jan24.html) /images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Just about no one is gonna be able to read this, you know.

Zoltri
01-27-2005, 04:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just about no one is gonna be able to read this, you know.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why is that?

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 04:04 PM
I have heard this before, and well, crazier things have been known to be true.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 04:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
It's true. That's exactly why I created it. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Wake up CALL
It is evident that if that were the case AIDS would be doing a much better job.

Zoltri
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I cant believe 15% of AA feel this way.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]well, who knows, I imagine AIDS is probably more of a problem in the AA community than in the white community.

BusterStacks
01-27-2005, 04:14 PM
Here's an idea, wear a condom. Apparently you'll be fighting the "man" at the same time. idiots...

elwoodblues
01-27-2005, 04:15 PM
Text of article:

The Washington Post
Tuesday, January 25, 2005

Study: Many Blacks Cite AIDS Conspiracy; Prevention Efforts Hurt, Activists Say

More than 20 years after the AIDS epidemic arrived in the United States, a significant proportion of African Americans embrace the theory that government scientists created the disease to control or wipe out their communities, according to a study released today by Rand Corp. and Oregon State University. That belief markedly hurts efforts to prevent the spread of the disease among black Americans, the study's authors and activists said. African Americans represent 13 percent of the U.S. population, according to Census Bureau figures, yet they account for 50 percent of new HIV infections in the nation, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Nearly half of the 500 African Americans surveyed said that HIV, the virus that causes AIDS, is man-made. The study, which was supported by the National Institute of Child Health and Human Development, appears in the Feb. 1 edition of the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes.

More than one-quarter said they believed that AIDS was produced in a government laboratory, and 12 percent believed it was created and spread by the CIA.

A slight majority said they believe that a cure for AIDS is being withheld from the poor. Forty-four percent said people who take the new medicines for HIV are government guinea pigs, and 15 percent said AIDS is a form of genocide against black people.

At the same time, 75 percent said they believe medical and public health agencies are working to stop the spread of AIDS in black communities. But the responses, which varied only slightly by age, gender, education and income level, alarmed the researchers.

"As a researcher knowing that these beliefs were out there, I wasn't as surprised as people I share the study with," said Laura Bogart, a behavioral scientist for the Rand Corp., who co-authored the study with Sheryl Thorburn, associate professor in the College of Health and Human Sciences at Oregon State.

"But the findings are striking, and a wake-up call to the prevention community," Bogart said. "The prevention community has not addressed conspiracy beliefs in the context of prevention. I think that a lot of people involved in prevention may not be from the community where they are trying to prevent HIV."

The findings were also no surprise to Na'im Akbar, a professor of psychology at Florida State University who specializes in African American behavior.

"This is not a bunch of crazy people running around saying they're out to get us," Akbar said. The belief "comes from the reality of 300 years of slavery and 100 years of post-slavery exploitation."

Akbar cited the Tuskegee experiment conducted by the federal government between 1932 and 1972. In it, scientists told black men they were being treated for syphilis but actually withheld treatment so they could study the course of the disease.

Today, he said, African Americans are more likely to live in communities near pollution sources, such as freeways and oil refineries, and far from health care centers. "There are a lot of indicators that our lives are not valued," Akbar said.

Phill Wilson, executive director of the Black AIDS Institute in Los Angeles, said past discrimination is no longer an excuse for embracing conspiracies that allow HIV to fester.

"It's a huge barrier to HIV prevention in black communities," Wilson said. "There's an issue around conspiracy theory and urban myths. Thus we have an epidemic raging out of control, and African Americans are being disproportionately impacted in every single sense."

Black women made up 73 percent of new HIV cases among women in 2003, and black men represented 40 percent of new cases, according to the most recent federal figures available. Among gay men, blacks represented 30 percent of new infections, and adolescents ages 18 to 24 accounted for nearly 80 percent of new HIV cases.

"The whole notion of conspiracy theories and misinformation . . . removes personal responsibility," Wilson said. "If there is this boogeyman, people say, 'Why should I use condoms? Why should I use clean needles?' And if I'm an organization, 'Why should I bother with educating my folks?' The syphilis study was real, but it happened 40 years ago, and holding on to it is killing us."

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 04:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Here's an idea, wear a condom. Apparently you'll be fighting the "man" at the same time. idiots...

[/ QUOTE ]I agree.

TimM
01-27-2005, 04:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Heh, stick it to the man while you are sticking it to your woman at the same time.

Bluffoon
01-27-2005, 04:20 PM
I dont' know man. Im guessing that if I catch AIDs it's my fault and no one else's

WTF is wrong with people?

Algasm
01-27-2005, 04:24 PM
I just read something that said about 66% of people infected with AIDS worldwide are in Africa. If I were an AA that might make me think that AIDS was created to kill my ass.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 04:26 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I just read something that said about 66% of people infected with AIDS worldwide are in Africa. If I were an AA that might make me think that AIDS was created to kill my ass.

[/ QUOTE ]
African and African American aren't the same people. I don't get the implication.

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:28 PM
Man I just thought of a pretty offensive joke....

Permission to type an offensive racist Joke?

Zoltri
01-27-2005, 04:30 PM
If a similar poll was asked of gay people. I wonder how many would say the religious groups would be responsible?

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:31 PM
still waiting for permission...

jakethebake
[ QUOTE ]
If a similar poll was asked of gay people. I wonder how many would say the religious groups would be responsible?

[/ QUOTE ]
Good point. But notice how the religious groups have pulled back on the God punishing gays theory?

ThaSaltCracka
do it!

Zoltri
01-27-2005, 04:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
still waiting for permission...

[/ QUOTE ]
Hey, its not my forum.

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:33 PM
Post deleted by IndieMatty

Paluka
01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Man I just thought of a pretty offensive joke....

Permission to type an offensive racist Joke?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to deny permission.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
wow, that is horrible. /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

pokerjo22
01-27-2005, 04:35 PM
15% of people will pretty much believe anything about anything.

11% of Americans (black and white) can't find the U.S. on a map. So what? People are stupid. Don't we know this already?

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:35 PM
It's gone now. As soon as I saw someone I respected, deny permission. But I stand by the fact that the shock value humor should be appreciated.

Paluka
01-27-2005, 04:36 PM
I guess he posted as I was denying and then he deleted?

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 04:36 PM
dude..... /images/graemlins/blush.gif

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paluka
01-27-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It's gone now. As soon as I saw someone I respected, deny permission. But I stand by the fact that the shock value humor should be appreciated.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like shock value humor, just not on public forums.

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Yup, I saw your post. I know its not cool. I'm a fan of the ol' shock value humor but its not worth it to offend someone.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 04:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yup, I saw your post. I know its not cool. I'm a fan of the ol' shock value humor but its not worth it to offend someone.

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the point of shock value humor if you don't offend anyone? I love offending thin-skinned people. I feel like I'm doing them a service.

Zoltri
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
shock value humor

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought OOT was all about this. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Bluffoon
01-27-2005, 04:42 PM
That's pretty hard to believe. I mean how could you be that stupid and still get your pants on in the morning? You are talking 1 in ten here?

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 04:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
That's pretty hard to believe. I mean how could you be that stupid and still get your pants on in the morning? You are talking 1 in ten here?

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe that's why big baggy pants are in these days. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

J.R.
[ QUOTE ]
African and African American aren't the same people. I don't get the implication.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you are a black american and theorize that the Government/white people are out to get you, do you think the Government/white people only want to get african americans, or all people of dark skinned color? This irrational fear is predicated on a belief the government/white people are racist, and racism doesn't know boundaries.

As a black person I'd wonder why the U.S. doesn't do more to fight the aids epidemic in africa, especially in light of the bush administration's cut in funding and refusal to support anything but abstinence as deterrent to the spread of AIDS.

BusterStacks
yea, I had a really offensive post to go to with this thread as well...

Bluffoon
01-27-2005, 04:45 PM
Yep.... Bush sucks

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:46 PM
We've gone over this, I can't call anyone thin skinned unless I don't know their situation. If I happened to make some joke about Marines being killed in action, would it be ok to call you thin skinned if you got offended?

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:47 PM
You won't do it....

BusterStacks
Why the hell should we fight aids in africa? People always get pissed when we meddle in other countries' affairs anyway, right? Oh yeah, unless it's something they think is good, then it's ok.

Zoltri
[ QUOTE ]
You won't do it....

[/ QUOTE ]

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 04:48 PM
Oh and mine was funnier.

BusterStacks
01-27-2005, 04:50 PM
PM me what it was, I missed it.

Bluffoon
01-27-2005, 04:50 PM
Wrong forum for this but maybe because we are better off than most everyone else....

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-27-2005, 04:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Wrong forum for this but maybe because we are better off than most everyone else....

[/ QUOTE ]
I like how other countries (Europe) spend about 80% of their time saying how much better they are than us and denying anything we say about being better off and the other 20% of the time telling us we're so much better off than everyone else that we should give them all our money.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 04:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
As a black person I'd wonder why the U.S. doesn't do more to fight the aids epidemic in africa

[/ QUOTE ]
As an American, I don't.

Bluffoon
01-27-2005, 04:57 PM
You are right, no one is going to appreciate it and they are still going to hate us because we are better off...

At the end of the day you still have to look in the mirror.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 04:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
We've gone over this, I can't call anyone thin skinned unless I don't know their situation. If I happened to make some joke about Marines being killed in action, would it be ok to call you thin skinned if you got offended?

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to take things in the spirit in which they are offered. I can't imagine a joke about Marines killed in action, but if it was intended as a joke whatever. Jokes abour white people are funny. Jokes about other races are funny. Jokes about gay people, straigt people, rednecks, Texans, Southerners, Yankees, Brits, whatever.

Paluka
01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
As a black person I'd wonder why the U.S. doesn't do more to fight the aids epidemic in africa

[/ QUOTE ]
As an American, I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wonder why we don't do more to do all sorts of stuff. Where is all this tax money going?

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 05:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I wonder why we don't do more to do all sorts of stuff. Where is all this tax money going?

[/ QUOTE ]

Meh. I don't feel like being drawn into that one today. nice try though.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Entitlements.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 05:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
As an American, I don't.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Politicians have deep pockets and unnumbered off shore bank accounts my man.

Actually, the correct answer is the giant bloated crack whore that is our government craps money like it's going out of style. A lot already goes to foreign aide.

Shoot, did I make a semi-political post in OOT? Sorry. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 05:04 PM
I agree with you, but the point is, people who do disagree with us...It's not right to fundamentally call then "thin-skinned", when we have no idea what they may have had to deal with it in the past.

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Yeah, wait didn't Bush send a boatload of money over to Africa for this, in the billions?

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-27-2005, 05:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, wait didn't Bush send a boatload of money over to Africa for this, in the billions?

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, but... but... but... c'mon...

jimdmcevoy
01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

People always get pissed when we meddle in other countries' affairs anyway, right? Oh yeah, unless it's something they think is good, then it's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just Curious, wouldn't this be what you'd expect?

J.R.
01-27-2005, 05:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell should we fight aids in africa?

[/ QUOTE ]

who said we should?

pudley4
01-27-2005, 05:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Calling vehn_...OOT to vehn_ - come in, vehn_...we need your help

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

apd138
01-27-2005, 05:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Or it might make me think the people in africa [censored] a lot and don't use comdoms.

dr. klopek
01-27-2005, 05:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

^ believes STDs are a scare-tactic to promote abstinence.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
They're actually easily cured...

<font color="white">by burning yourself up. </font>

sublime
01-27-2005, 05:48 PM

i bet more than that think OJ is innocent, or will say so anyway.

BusterStacks
01-27-2005, 05:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

hehe yeah I am rediculous sometimes.

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 05:51 PM
offensive joke number two..must resist posting...but not race.. I'm dieing here.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 05:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
offensive joke number two..must resist posting...but not race.. I'm dieing here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Go for it.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 05:54 PM
and this time leave it up long enough for me to read.

Zoltri
01-27-2005, 05:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]
More than one-quarter said they believed that AIDS was produced in a government laboratory, and 12 percent believed it was created and spread by the CIA.

[/ QUOTE ]
Who are these people?
Sometimes I believe we are no farther ahead than the slave era.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 05:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who are these people?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who are which people? The ones that belive it? Or the ones creating and spreading it? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Edge34
01-27-2005, 06:02 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who are these people?

[/ QUOTE ]
Who are which people? The ones that belive it? Or the ones creating and spreading it? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You know, those government scientists have shitty targeting. If they're trying so damn hard to kill off black people, why do white people keep getting AIDS too? Awful coverup. /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 06:09 PM
Nahh, those white people are probably sicilian.

Edit: I am 1/2 Sicilian.

Thanks,

Paisan.

TimM
01-27-2005, 06:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Nahh, those white people are probably sicilian.

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/mad.gif

IndieMatty
01-27-2005, 06:16 PM
haha..I'm sicilian!

jcx
01-27-2005, 06:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Who are these people?

[/ QUOTE ]

And if you asked the black folks who believe this how they voted in the last election, I have a sneaking suspicion who that would be for 99.9% of them. And yet it is Republicans (I'm not one, BTW) who get accused of being stupid?

peachy
01-27-2005, 06:25 PM
JR - the plain and unfortunate reason y the government doesnt do more about AIDS in africa is that it doesnt benifit us (although we do send a good bit of money there for this reason). We would "waste" too much of our money and time in this area by those who do our budget, etc. Additionally, it is not a country that we gain "anything" from, such as oil from the middle east, which is why we r there. Wars in other countries, genocide, etc. etc. we cannot always act on every crisis because its financially impossible. So some might think its wrong of us to pick and choose, but in reality there is only so much we can do. Currenly, there r private medical organizations in Africa working with AIDS, but they do little to no good for various reasons: natives dont trust foreign medicine, they often r not aware they have AIDS until too late, there is NO present cure, therefore the only thing we can do is EDUCATE them about AIDS, and that has become our main target. But even educating them about AIDS is very difficult because most do not attend school, thus cannot read, so even if we hand out info etc. it is not utalized. Therefore, it is extremely hard to even get these people to listen to us, because what we are saying either doesnt get through to those in need, or goes against them culturally (men take women for brides very young over there - they r allowed to be premiscous which brings back STDs like AIDS back to thier wifes, and continues to spread it if thier wife is shared within the family or with friends, and the carrier continues to spread it AND mothers pass it on to thier children for they are often unaware they even have this deadly disease b/c of lack of medical services which they dont even use for the most part when it is provided). I could go on and on but im sure u get the picture now.

The government also barely funds research here on the diease because of its variance...i wont get all technical on that its a virus and constantly changes (mutates) and can enter cells that other "diseases" cannot, therefore it is EXTREMELY expensive to try and cure with current technology, and even if a cure was found it would not cure everyone with "AIDS", just those with that particular strand. Thus, and i agree with the decision, the only thing the government can do for now is support safe sex, abstence, and encourage periodical AIDS tests. But there is good private funding for this disease, so its not considered a lost cause to the "general population"!! The gov't is just limited on what it can do.

peachy
01-27-2005, 06:35 PM
Another side note to what i posted is that Drug Co.'s do SOME research in this area, but again, sadly, it is frequenlty more profitable for them to make money off of the current AIDs medications out there instead of investing an ungodly amount of money in finding a cure. NOT saying they dont or arent trying to find a cure!! this just slows down the process!!

J.R.
01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
I have no position on this, my point was that I could understand how an african american, already paranoid about racism, might think that US policies towards africa and aids were the product of a racial bias and furthermore, how the african aids epidemic and US policies regarding it might fuel an already warped perspective and lead one to conclude/speculate that the US Governemnt has broader, hidden, and nefarious intentions (regardless of how illogical or farfetched I actually would believe such a notion might be)

For the record I am not african american and do not suscribe to the theory 15% of african americans supposedly agree with and don't know enough about US african AIDS policies to offer an informed opinion other than to say that preaching abstinence is not an effective deterrent to the spread of AIDS IMO.

Vince Young
01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Why the hell should we fight aids in africa? People always get pissed when we meddle in other countries' affairs anyway, right? Oh yeah, unless it's something they think is good, then it's ok.

[/ QUOTE ]
No [censored]. They want us to do something they think is good, and not something they think is wrong. WHAT IDIOTS!!!!!

peachy
01-27-2005, 06:47 PM
Also...hello!! u have to remember WHEN they do these polls, u have NO clue who they poll, in what country, what SES (social economic status), etc. etc so it skewes the data just a LITTLE bit!! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

wacki
01-27-2005, 07:23 PM
As a black person I'd wonder why the U.S. doesn't do more to fight the aids epidemic in africa, especially in light of the bush administration's cut in funding and refusal to support anything but abstinence as deterrent to the spread of AIDS.

That's not true, Bush has allocatd $500 million for Africa alone and $15 billion globally. Global infectious disease is one of my specialties. It is my very firm opinion that any HIV prevention/treatment method other than a combination of education, building schools, and industrialization is a waste of money. They have HIV-2 and our drugs are only effective on HIV-1. It's pointless. On top of that, even if our drugs were effective against HIV-2 their attitude is so beyond repair that we would still be throwing our money out the window. I know this sounds horrible, but the only good a HIV+ African can be to either us or other Africans, is to be our lab rat. There have been prostitutes in Africa that have led to many breakthroughs because these women appear to be naturally immune. Simple blood tests are all that is needed.

I agree with you that abstenence preaching (which is different than teaching) is a waste of money. I don't know what the $$$ amount is on that.

For the record I am not african american

Now you have me cnfzzed. See top quote.

Also, the mental state of Africa is a joke. Nigeria officially refuses to accept free UN distributed polio vaccines because they fear it is some anti-black man conspiracy.

If people are really that stupid then maybe we should just let them die. It's [censored] ridiculous, save the money for the people that will actually listen and will help you make progress. Stop throwing the cash away. You have no idea how bad it is in other countries and how stupid some of those people are. HIV is rampant in Muslim countries but they won't admit it. One of my friends has been in a doctors office full of people dying of bread mold but the doctor still refused to believe it was HIV. 12 year olds urine saturated with trichomonas but yet somehow she is still a virgin.

We waste billions on giving them drugs that don't work but can't put the money where it needs to get to. They won't listen, and they won't take the drugs that do work because they fear anti-black man conspiracy. It's unreal.

Happy Joy Joy Aid = Waste of money.

This thread belongs in politics.

Rant over.

billyjex
01-27-2005, 07:50 PM
PM me the joke, I like offensive humor.

J.R.
01-27-2005, 07:58 PM
I was trying to empathize with an african american's mindset in an attempt to speculate why this study came out as it did. I could imagine an african american hearing the UN on Bono rant about africa, thinking the US government doesn't do enough and then reaching this conspiracy theory. But apparently my point didn't convey well.

Anyway,

[ QUOTE ]
That's not true, Bush has allocatd $500 million for Africa alone and $15 billion globally

[/ QUOTE ]

I know little about this but it was my understanding that this figure represented a cut, or perhaps that the funding cut was for all detererent programs other than abstinence. Maybe what I am recalling was just liberal NPR hype though?

wacki
01-27-2005, 09:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I was trying to empathize with an african american's mindset in an attempt to speculate why this study came out as it did. I could imagine an african american hearing the UN on Bono rant about africa, thinking the US government doesn't do enough and then reaching this conspiracy theory. But apparently my point didn't convey well.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was skimming the posts, its a long thread so it could of been my fault. I only pay attention to the important people./images/graemlins/grin.gif Bono is an idiot. If he is going to preach he needs to educate himself on the topics he talks about.

The money is aimed at funding programmes to cut mother-to-child transmission by 40% within five years or less in 12 African countries and the Caribbean.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/2053651.stm

This is a decent plan IMO, but it still may be a waste. I don't know any stats about the education funding. Sending drugs over there for anything other than research purposes is pointless. Sending condoms over there is basically pointless (at this point) as well because most people will refuse to use them. Women over there actually dry out their vaginas with chemicals to increase friction (Strange, but true) during sex. This causing chafing and increases the chances of HIV transmission. Many of them know this, but they don't care.

Like I said, the situation is messed up over there. Behavior can be difficult to change, if not next to impossible, and drugs are useless. There should be cutbacks that many people won't like. A lot of money is being spent on things that sound good but are a complete waste. Africa's only value is basically only as a giant research lab. It sounds heartless but it's true.

Can the US do more? The answer will always be yes. If you hear anyone saying we should be sending drugs/treatment then a red flag should go up because they don't know what they are talking about. As far as behavior change, I really don't think most news anchors/reporters understand how bad it is over there. Condoms are freely available over there but nobody uses them. The standard saying is “I don't eat candy with the wrapper on”. World Education is very successful in educating people, but I don't know how well funded they are. It would be interesting to see the stats on how many people know what causes AIDS over there. Still we aren't getting cooperation from public officials. South African President Thabo Mbeki publicly denounced HIV as the cause of aids and instead claims that it's the US drugs. So I doubt Bono is the cause of the anti-us conspiracy. Bono wants us to paint our drugs Red White and Blue and then air drop them over there.

I don't know that much about the politics of every country, but I do know that some countries can't be helped.

Africa is a [censored] sandwich.

Sorry if this is erratic, I'm doing several things at once.

AlienCorpse
01-27-2005, 11:50 PM
Actually its true AIDS was created to kill african americans, and its not even gross, do you eat pie?

Daliman
01-27-2005, 11:56 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If true, I hate to say it but it doesn't surprise me.

I'd bet more than 50% of all blacks think OJ is innocent.

Unfortunately, blacks in the country have been screwed around so much that they have good reason to think people still have it out for them.

realwtf
01-27-2005, 11:59 PM
African-Americans have a GNP that would rank 10th of all nations in the wrold. If AIDS is such a big issue why are they not doing more? Why be so stingy?

eastbay
01-28-2005, 01:29 AM
That's one thing in a long list. You know about the KFC conspiracy, right?

eastbay

CORed
01-28-2005, 02:16 AM
If you want to read this (or anything else at the Washington Post website) you can use email addr. pt_tuna@blowyourselfcom, password blowyourself

MMMMMM
01-28-2005, 02:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]

Unfortunately, blacks in the country have been screwed around so much that they have good reason to think people still have it out for them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe their parents or grandparents were, but most blacks in the country today have not been screwed around. If anything it is more likely they actually got special benefits of some sort.

CORed
01-28-2005, 02:25 AM
Don't the people who believe this realize that HIV kills white people too? or do they believe that there is a secret cure or vaccine that's only given to white people, and that all the thousands or millions of people that have gotten it are somehow keeping it a secret?

CORed
01-28-2005, 02:27 AM
[ QUOTE ]
African-Americans have a GNP that would rank 10th of all nations in the wrold. If AIDS is such a big issue why are they not doing more? Why be so stingy?

[/ QUOTE ]

They're waiting until they get their slavery reparations.

TimM
01-28-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
pitiful

[/ QUOTE ]

The worst 15% of any population is going to be pretty pitiful actually.

Daliman
01-28-2005, 02:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe their parents or grandparents were, but most blacks in the country today have not been screwed around. If anything it is more likely they actually got special benefits of some sort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Doubtful. Where exactly does the average black person get special treatment other than SOME college entrances and SOME jobs. Most would gladly trade these minor things for fully equal treatment across the board.

To be black in America usually still means if you are under 25 in a store, you are under constant surviellance.

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 03:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Most would gladly trade these minor things for fully equal treatment across the board.

[/ QUOTE ] how do they not already have at least equal treatment across the board?

wacki
01-28-2005, 03:07 AM
Salt, who the [censored] is that in your avatar?

wacki
01-28-2005, 03:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Actually its true AIDS was created to kill african americans, and its not even gross, do you eat pie?

[/ QUOTE ]

Salt, if you ever become an admin, ban this [censored].

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 03:16 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Salt, if you ever become an admin, ban this [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]I didn't get his "joke" or whatever he was saying, so I ignored it.

wacki
01-28-2005, 03:23 AM
Ya, I'm drunk so ignore me....

ThaSaltCracka
01-28-2005, 03:24 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Ya, I'm drunk so ignore me....

[/ QUOTE ]shouldn't you be doing homework or something?

Daliman
01-28-2005, 03:50 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Most would gladly trade these minor things for fully equal treatment across the board.

[/ QUOTE ] how do they not already have at least equal treatment across the board?

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you really think black people are treated the same as white people in all parts of America?

wacki
01-28-2005, 03:56 AM
[ QUOTE ]
shouldn'ting homework or something?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am above homework....

Well atleast 5 out of 7 days. Still, I don't need that class, but I'm still taking it. Woohooo double Ph.D.!!!!

InchoateHand
01-28-2005, 03:58 AM
About as meaningly as the ridiculous number of American who believed Saddam caused 9/11, or the equally moronic individuals that think Canada is a state. (And yes, the latter exist in droves). That only 15% of any population believes something utterly ridiculous should be taken as a huge sign of intelligence and ability within that group.

nicky g
01-28-2005, 06:37 AM
"the equally moronic individuals that think Canada is a state. (And yes, the latter exist in droves). "

Haha. Here it is:

"When asked whether Canada is a country "like Britain or Japan" or "just another state like Michigan or Oregon," 30 per cent of Americans -- particularly those in the south -- classified Canada as a 51st state."

Globe and Mail (http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache:6DyyEFbIHiQJ:www.globeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPPrint/gam/20020507/UPOLLN/national/+"just+another+state+like+Michigan+or+Oregon"&amp;hl=en)

The Dude
01-28-2005, 08:04 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Salt, who the [censored] is that in your avatar?

[/ QUOTE ]
That is El Diablo - minus the mask.

jakethebake
01-28-2005, 09:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
JR - the plain and unfortunate reason y the government doesnt do more about AIDS in africa is that it doesnt benifit us (although we do send a good bit of money there for this reason). We would "waste" too much of our money and time in this area by those who do our budget, etc. Additionally, it is not a country that we gain "anything" from, such as oil from the middle east, which is why we r there. Wars in other countries, genocide, etc. etc. we cannot always act on every crisis because its financially impossible. So some might think its wrong of us to pick and choose, but in reality there is only so much we can do. Currenly, there r private medical organizations in Africa working with AIDS, but they do little to no good for various reasons: natives dont trust foreign medicine, they often r not aware they have AIDS until too late, there is NO present cure, therefore the only thing we can do is EDUCATE them about AIDS, and that has become our main target. But even educating them about AIDS is very difficult because most do not attend school, thus cannot read, so even if we hand out info etc. it is not utalized. Therefore, it is extremely hard to even get these people to listen to us, because what we are saying either doesnt get through to those in need, or goes against them culturally (men take women for brides very young over there - they r allowed to be premiscous which brings back STDs like AIDS back to thier wifes, and continues to spread it if thier wife is shared within the family or with friends, and the carrier continues to spread it AND mothers pass it on to thier children for they are often unaware they even have this deadly disease b/c of lack of medical services which they dont even use for the most part when it is provided). I could go on and on but im sure u get the picture now.

The government also barely funds research here on the diease because of its variance...i wont get all technical on that its a virus and constantly changes (mutates) and can enter cells that other "diseases" cannot, therefore it is EXTREMELY expensive to try and cure with current technology, and even if a cure was found it would not cure everyone with "AIDS", just those with that particular strand. Thus, and i agree with the decision, the only thing the government can do for now is support safe sex, abstence, and encourage periodical AIDS tests. But there is good private funding for this disease, so its not considered a lost cause to the "general population"!! The gov't is just limited on what it can do.

[/ QUOTE ]
Try hitting the return key once in awhile. Who the [censored] is going to read this&gt;?

emonrad87
01-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Feelings like this amongst blacks are the reasons so few of them succeed, not any systematic efforts by whites to hold them down.