PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to straddle?

BAK
01-27-2005, 03:08 PM
Subject says it all. Thanks!!

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 03:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What does it mean to straddle?

[/ QUOTE ]

:giggle:

BAK
01-27-2005, 03:33 PM
OK, what ELSE does it mean??? While playing poker? (OK, giggle there too! You know what I mean!)

Greg J
01-27-2005, 03:41 PM
Straddle = blind raise UTG. You tell the deal you want to straddle and you put twice the big bling down preflop, but you have to be UTG.

Yeah I know, it's pretty dumb.

EDIT: You also close the action in a straddle. Yeah, it's weird.

Scorpion
01-27-2005, 04:03 PM
Straddle is a blind raise before the cards are dealt. You Must be UTG and announce straddle before the cards are dealt. You put up double the big blind and then you have the last action.

MikeyEdge
01-27-2005, 04:28 PM
It can mean any of the below.

a.) You're a jerk.
b.) You're an idiot.
c.) You're playing below your limits and are bored.
d.) All of the above.

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
EDIT: You also close the action in a straddle.

[/ QUOTE ]

:giggle:

Note:
I would have answered the OP, but I knew someone would be along soon with the answer.

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 06:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
It can mean any of the below.

a.) You're a jerk.
b.) You're an idiot.
c.) You're playing below your limits and are bored
d.) All of the above.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get any of this.

EDIT-

Okay, I think I'm understanding what you are saying now.

I don't know if I agree, but I'm pretty sure that I'm getting it.

Kellon
01-27-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You put up double the big blind and then you have the last action.

[/ QUOTE ]

These sound contradictory. Is a straddle "live" or not? I.e., when the betting gets back around to the UTG, can he/she raise/reraise? Also, if UTG does straddle, what is the minimum raise? Is it the amount of the straddle or is it the size of the SB?

AncientPC
01-28-2005, 12:11 AM
The straddle can raise / reraise once it gets back to him / her. I think the minimum raise is still 1SB, I'm not entirely sure.

I've heard of good players doing this when sitting to the left of maniacs to isolate.

Freakin
01-28-2005, 06:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
You put up double the big blind and then you have the last action.

[/ QUOTE ]

These sound contradictory. Is a straddle "live" or not? I.e., when the betting gets back around to the UTG, can he/she raise/reraise? Also, if UTG does straddle, what is the minimum raise? Is it the amount of the straddle or is it the size of the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, generally straddles are live. The first rule of straddling is to announce it to the table. So at your tight-ass 3/6 table, shout "LIVE SIX" and push chips out UTG dark. Oh, and it's extrememly bad form to look at your cards until at least the flop.

Freakin

AncientPC
01-28-2005, 07:22 PM
But how are you supposed to raise again once action gets back to you pre-flop?

Freakin
01-28-2005, 07:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
But how are you supposed to raise again once action gets back to you pre-flop?

[/ QUOTE ]

Blind 3-bet/Cap, obviously. It's incredibly poor form to start something preflop that you don't intend to finish. And looking at your cards before you 3-bet shows weakness.

Freakin

Kellon
01-28-2005, 08:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Blind 3-bet/Cap, obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for being a dumb-ass here, but in an earlier post you said the straddle was "live", but this statement seems to indicate that the straddle caps the betting, which would mean that after the UTG, the rest of the table can only call (or fold), not raise. My question(s), and I think AncientPC's, is whether anyone else can raise after the straddle (including whether the UTG can raise, like the BB can do under normal circumstances, if no one else does) and what the amount of any possible raise is, i.e., is it the amount of the SB?

Freakin
01-29-2005, 03:45 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blind 3-bet/Cap, obviously.

[/ QUOTE ]

I apologize for being a dumb-ass here, but in an earlier post you said the straddle was "live", but this statement seems to indicate that the straddle caps the betting, which would mean that after the UTG, the rest of the table can only call (or fold), not raise. My question(s), and I think AncientPC's, is whether anyone else can raise after the straddle (including whether the UTG can raise, like the BB can do under normal circumstances, if no one else does) and what the amount of any possible raise is, i.e., is it the amount of the SB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry if I wasn't clear enough. When you straddle UTG, the bet is live. Every other player that wishes to play the hand must put in a minimum of two bets. If they want to raise, it would be 3-bets. What I was saying in my last post, was that since your straddle is live, you have the option to make it 3-bets when it comes back to you, if it has not yet been raised. So unlike raising UTG after looking at your cards (where the BB would close the action), you are allowed to close the action by checking when it comes back to you.

Freakin

Kellon
01-29-2005, 03:50 PM
I understand now. Thanks!

TomBrooks
01-29-2005, 06:10 PM
[ QUOTE ]
shout "LIVE SIX"

[/ QUOTE ]Why "Live Six?" What is the meaning of "live six" (besides straddle?)

wabe
02-01-2005, 12:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
shout "LIVE SIX"

[/ QUOTE ]Why "Live Six?" What is the meaning of "live six" (besides straddle?)

[/ QUOTE ]
The example was from a $3/$6 game, so your UTG raise would be $6.