PDA

View Full Version : Basketball fans- should this have been traveling?

DukeSucks
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
This may be hard to describe in words, but I'll try.
Last night, I attended a game between Conference USA powerhouses East Carolina and St Louis (don't laugh, they were free tickets). At the opening tip, ECU tipped the ball to their backcourt and recovered the ball. That player passed the ball to the point guard who was still standing in the backcourt. He catches the ball with both hands and with both feet set on the floor. He does not dribble. However, he puts the ball in his left hand, lifts his right foot and wipes the bottom of his shoe, then puts the foot back on the floor. He then puts the ball in his right hand, lifts his left foot and wipes that shoe, then puts foot back on the floor. At that point, he starts dribbling up the court.

I thought that should be traveling. I looked at the NCAA rules and it says that when both feet are planted on the ground when catching the ball he may use ONE foot as a pivot foot. That foot can't be lifted until ball is released to start a dribble.

Obviously it wasn't a violation, since they didn't call it. Do you think it should have been?
Maybe it was, and they didn't call it because:
A) It at the outset of play
B) It was on their home court
C) Both these teams suck, and no one outside of the 5000 people there would ever see it.

Sorry if this was stupid, but for some reason it has bothered me.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-27-2005, 03:01 PM
D) it obviously didn't affect play at all, so the ref just let it go

AncientPC
01-27-2005, 03:02 PM
So many people travel in the NBA they oughta get frequent flier miles. Referees don't care as much and tend to overlook it.

tech
Sounds like traveling to me, but option C is very appealing.

ThaSaltCracka
that would have been the dumbest traveling call ever.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 03:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
This may be hard to describe in words, but I'll try.
Last night, I attended a game between Conference USA powerhouses East Carolina and St Louis (don't laugh, they were free tickets). At the opening tip, ECU tipped the ball to their backcourt and recovered the ball. That player passed the ball to the point guard who was still standing in the backcourt. He catches the ball with both hands and with both feet set on the floor. He does not dribble. However, he puts the ball in his left hand, lifts his right foot and wipes the bottom of his shoe, then puts the foot back on the floor. He then puts the ball in his right hand, lifts his left foot and wipes that shoe, then puts foot back on the floor. At that point, he starts dribbling up the court.

I thought that should be traveling. I looked at the NCAA rules and it says that when both feet are planted on the ground when catching the ball he may use ONE foot as a pivot foot. That foot can't be lifted until ball is released to start a dribble.

Obviously it wasn't a violation, since they didn't call it. Do you think it should have been?
Maybe it was, and they didn't call it because:
A) It at the outset of play
B) It was on their home court
C) Both these teams suck, and no one outside of the 5000 people there would ever see it.

Sorry if this was stupid, but for some reason it has bothered me.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not actually pivoting. He's wiping his feet.

If he had moved from his location, then that would traveling. But in this instance it is not.

Toro
01-27-2005, 03:19 PM
Back when I could still run, I was a basketball referee and did both college and high school. Technically, as you described it, that was a travel. Sounds like the official made a good "non" call.

B00T
01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

bosoxfan
01-27-2005, 04:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
So many people travel in the NBA they oughta get frequent flier miles. Referees don't care as much and tend to overlook it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I pretty sure you are allowed 5 step on a break away in the NBA.

namknils
01-27-2005, 04:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

If he had moved from his location, then that would traveling. But in this instance it is not.

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be more wrong. It is traveling. If he wanted to wipe his feet he should have done it before the tip or after he started dribbling.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 04:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You couldn't be more wrong. It is traveling. If he wanted to wipe his feet he should have done it before the tip or after he started dribbling.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually I could be plenty more wrong.

For example, if I had see it wasn't traveling, but it was instead "Bussing", then I'd be more wrong.

I think I'm right and that's all that matters. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Apparently the refs thought the same way.

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-27-2005, 05:04 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

For example, if I had see it wasn't traveling, but it was instead "Bussing", then I'd be more wrong.

I think I'm right and that's all that matters. /images/graemlins/wink.gif Apparently the refs thought the same way.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're an apologist for bad refs and travelers and that's all there is to it.

Aces McGee
01-27-2005, 05:05 PM
Once he picks up one foot, the other one is established as a pivot foot (even if he doesn't do any actual pivoting). When he puts the first foot back down and then picks up his pivot foot, he's now switched pivot feet. When you switch your pivot foot, it's traveling.

-McGee

namknils
01-27-2005, 05:51 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, you could be MORE wrong, but you aren't right. Just because the refs either missed it or ignored it, doesn't mean it's not traveling.

namknils
01-27-2005, 05:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Once he picks up one foot, the other one is established as a pivot foot (even if he doesn't do any actual pivoting). When he puts the first foot back down and then picks up his pivot foot, he's now switched pivot feet. When you switch your pivot foot, it's traveling.

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 06:11 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You're an apologist for bad refs and travelers and that's all there is to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey now, settle down Patrick. Don't stoop to insults in this highly intellectual debate.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 06:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah but still, it would have been a totally anal call.

lucas9000
01-27-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

namknils
01-27-2005, 06:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally would have made the call. It's a possesion! Every possesion is important. If this happened at the end of the game when it was tied with 10 seconds left the call gets made, it shouldn't be any diferent at the beginning of the game.

soah
01-27-2005, 06:43 PM
You seem to be confused. The rules against travelling in basketball have been eliminated from the rulebook. It's easy to verify this for yourself -- just watch a game on TV. Dribbling is very optional, and most players prefer not to do it.

lucas9000
01-27-2005, 07:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
If this happened at the end of the game when it was tied with 10 seconds left the call gets made, it shouldn't be any diferent at the beginning of the game.

[/ QUOTE ]

but either way it has no effect on play, so it's a good non-call.

apd138
01-28-2005, 11:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally would have made the call. It's a possesion! Every possesion is important. If this happened at the end of the game when it was tied with 10 seconds left the call gets made, it shouldn't be any diferent at the beginning of the game.

[/ QUOTE ] In my opinion this would be an even worse call with ten seconds left in the game. With all the bs that they let go when the the teams are actually competing there is no way this call should have been made. Conversly I think this non call would would be terrible and made worse with 10 seconds left if the games were called by the rules.