PDA

View Full Version : Newbie to NL, AA hand

PSW
01-27-2005, 02:51 PM
I am sure I played this wrong. When the Q came, I began to worry about drawing hands and thought I should take it down. One problem I see is that callers would have two pair or better. Getting only $3.10 for AA was a bit disapointing. Advice to do better?

Thanks

Table is .25/.50 NL ($25) at Pokerroom. No reads on poster, first hand.

Seat 1: BB ($21.80 in chips)
Seat 2: UTG (poster) ($23.80 in chips)
Seat 3: MP ($4.45 in chips)
Seat 8: Hero [AC,AS] ($37.85 in chips) On the Button
Seat 9: SB ($11.25 in chips)

ANTES/BLINDS
SB posts blind ($0.10), BB posts blind ($0.25), UTG (poster) posts blind ($0.25).

PRE-FLOP
UTG (poster) checks, MP folds, Hero bets $1, SB folds, BB folds, UTG (poster) calls $0.75. (Pot:$2.10)

FLOP [board cards JS,4H,2S ]
UTG (poster) checks, Hero bets $2, UTG (poster) calls $2. (Pot: $6.10)

TURN [board cards JS,4H,2S,QC ]
UTG (poster) checks, Hero bets $34.85 and is all-in, UTG (poster) folds.

SHOWDOWN
Hero wins $40.90

SUMMARY
Dealer: Hero
Pot: $41.20, (including rake: $0.30)
BB, loses $0.25
UTG (poster), loses $3
MP, loses $0
Hero, bets $37.85, collects $40.90, net $3.05
SB, loses $0.10

Kaz The Original
01-27-2005, 02:59 PM
Just bet the pot on the turn.

BradleyT
01-27-2005, 03:15 PM
That's a good way to go broke to a set or QJ.

amoeba
01-27-2005, 03:17 PM
first, if somebody is drawing, you want them to call.

second, if you don't know whether they are drawing or not, don't make bets that are only callable by those hands that beat you.

PSW
01-27-2005, 03:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
first, if somebody is drawing, you want them to call.

second, if you don't know whether they are drawing or not, don't make bets that are only callable by those hands that beat you.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the thing that I struggle w/ NL: Implied odds. They call a flop pot bet and lose more often but they know when they hit and I lose my stack or lots of it, especially if I keep raising the pot each time they call.

Comments?

amoeba
01-27-2005, 03:27 PM
if a scarecard comes on the river, check it through if its checked to you.

unless villain is one of these I push when I catch my draw types, it should be very easy to play.

djoyce003
01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
Well once you bet the pot on the turn, they are folding the draw most of the time. He might have implied odds to call the $2 bucks, but not really for say 8 bucks on the turn. But you should not be in the habit of pushing when the only hand that calls you is one that beats you. In this example, you are risking 40 to win 6...do you see how dangerous this is? Anybody with QJ instacalls you here. You have an overpair, but that is all it is, a pair....if you are successful in forcing him out of the $6 pot around 7 times, and lose on the 8th, you are roughly break even here...dangerous play. If you bet the pot and he calls on his draw, he's getting horrible odds, you should be happy enough about that.

Kaz The Original
01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
You don't need to pay them off when they hit and this is where reads come into play.

Lets say there is $50 in the pot on the turn, and you have $150 behind and miraculously your opponent has the same amount.

You have AA, and the board reads A278 rainbow.
You can bet $50 here, and the only draw he can have is a straight draw. It is 3.8:1 to hit (1 in 4.78 roughly) and so if he calls he has to make up $150, which is impossible as you only have $100 left.

If you both have $1000 behind, he can profitablly call if you will call all in when he hits his straight because he will make up much more than $150.

lil_o
01-27-2005, 03:34 PM
Betting $35 into a $6 pot will only get you in trouble unless you have the nuts. You should bet the pot or overbet the pot a little bit (~$6-$8)...

PSW
01-27-2005, 03:40 PM
Thanks for all the helpful advice. Betting the pot on the flop helps eliminate the applied odds of future calls because it gets the pot high enough so that the stacks limit the applied odds.

I think I'm'a'gettin'it.

THE OUTLAW
01-27-2005, 03:51 PM
PSW,
Welcome to NL. I also am fairly new here but certainly not new to poker.

The best advice youve gotten is when Amoeba wrote..."dont make bets that are only callable by those hands that beat you". This is a nicer and more informative way of saying "good way to go broke to a set or QJ".

You mentioned how you were new to NL. I dont know if this means you were formerly a limit player but if so you can think of this situation as if you were facing a river decision in limit holdem. Will this bet be called by a worse hand? That is the question you must ask.

In the AA hand you describe you will only be called by a hand better than yours (unless you know the opponent to be a very very bad player) so that makes moving all in a bad play.

Your bet should be somewhere around the size of the pot. If you get called then you play the river depending on your opponents action and the card that falls.

THE OUTLAW

BradleyT
01-27-2005, 03:53 PM
Interchange implied with applied and you'll be getting it.

PSW
01-27-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Interchange implied with applied and you'll be getting it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ack! I can't believe I wrote that. TWICE.

PSW
01-27-2005, 05:25 PM
[ QUOTE ]
PSW,

You mentioned how you were new to NL. I dont know if this means you were formerly a limit player.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. But I can't find good live games that aren't NL, so I am trying to make the switch. I make $11/hr playing 5 handed .50/1 on the Net. I think bad players think that shorthanded allows them to play even worse than usual. Plus it gives them twice as many times to make mistakes as it goes very fast.

PSW