PDA

View Full Version : STTs and chat

PE101
01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Maybe this should be a poll, but...

I play on Party, mostly 10+1 SnG.

It seems to me that chatting has become less courteous lately and more antagonistic. Is it just me?

I routinely turn off “viewer” chat, but I usually leave the player chat enabled. I usually just say stuff like “nice hand” or “good one” – I rarely take part in the dialog that sometimes takes place, but it doesn’t really bother me. Actually, I figure that the active chatters are less focused on the action, so may be a bit weaker.

What do you folks do?

Gigabet
01-27-2005, 02:11 PM
Chatting? Antagonistic? I haven't noticed.

DblDownTrent
01-27-2005, 02:13 PM
usually just say nh or gg, but if they start getting worked up, I'll see if I can continue to egg them on - take them out of their game.

After they've been eliminated, no more chatting with them.

microbet
01-27-2005, 02:24 PM
I think one of the best things for my game happened when someone called me an idiot and they were right.

PE101
01-27-2005, 03:25 PM
/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Big Limpin'
01-27-2005, 04:34 PM
I make a point to compliment someones hand ("nh" or "gh") ONLY if they played it well. I could care less if they end up with a single pair, or a str8 flush.

I hate when the barrage of gh, gh, nh, nice one, etc come flying out of the chat window every time someone makes like an underboat using one of their holecards.

You know what i mean?

Unparagoned
01-27-2005, 04:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I make a point to compliment someones hand ("nh" or "gh") ONLY if they played it well. I could care less if they end up with a single pair, or a str8 flush.

I hate when the barrage of gh, gh, nh, nice one, etc come flying out of the chat window every time someone makes like an underboat using one of their holecards.

You know what i mean?

[/ QUOTE ]

My favorite is all the gh/nh comments that come out when AA calls someone else's all-in preflop. As if that was difficult or impressive in some way. Having good gards does not necessarily make for a nice hand...

Gramps
01-27-2005, 06:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Chatting? Antagonistic? I haven't noticed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, people are pretty calm and friendly in the 215s. I imagine the Steps are the same way. I especially like my friends OrangeGutan, raisinray38, Babisabe (sp?), and a few others. They're there just to have fun, not put anyone down. But I'm digressing.

My "self-tilt test" is whether I type in "lol" or "nh" or some other smart-ass comment after taking a beat. I only do it a couple of times a month, but when I do I'm steaming pretty good.

Other than that, poker is supposed to be fun, so if you have some reason to crack a joke in chat or have a little camraderie with one your foes (whether a good player or total fish), why not? Life's too short to be dead serious all the time (was that sort of a pun?).

skovsende
01-27-2005, 06:38 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ahh - I like to say nh MORE, when they have played poorly, but got lucky.

There is a slight chance they actually believe they made a good play, and will do it again. Advantage me! /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Insty
01-27-2005, 06:55 PM
I seem to be unable to chat at all on party.
I type in the box but nothing comes out.
Have I ignored myself somehow? Have I be chat-banned? (although I can't imagine why I would be.)

PE101
01-28-2005, 10:30 AM
I'm with you on that one...

If someone actually out-played me - I rarely say anything. (It happens more than I like!)

If they show thier hand without being called - I often say something nice (like "thanks for the free info dufus" - just kidding /images/graemlins/smile.gif)

BigDave
01-28-2005, 01:44 PM
"make a point to compliment someones hand ("nh" or "gh") ONLY if they played it well."

I used to do this as well, but I think it gives a little bit too much information to people that know what they are doing. Now I watch for people to say good hand on a well played hand and take a mental note. I will say good hand to people you have played a hand very poorly, hit some runner runner crap, etc, more in hopes that other people will think I don't know what I am talking about. On more then one occasion I have been called an idiot for thinking that it was a nh, and if they want to think that, it is fine by me.

I reserve my "vnh" to when someone takes a person out on the bubble and puts me in the $.

bluesbassman
01-28-2005, 04:32 PM
I usually don't say anything unless people start to excessively berate bad plays/players, usually after taking a bad beat. In that case, I type in a comment which (I think) is originally attributed to Howard Lederer: "Please don't tap the aquarium!"

Usually most of the table laughs, and those who don't know what that means gives me some info about them...

sofere
01-28-2005, 06:26 PM
I always try to be courteous to those who are courteous to me, but if someone is berating me, I find it a laugh riot to egg them on and see what they say next. It also tends to put them on a bit of a tilt cause they just wanna try and take you out.

This has been happening a lot since I've been sitting out till round 4 on the $11s. For some reason it pisses people off that they are "working at playing good poker" early and I'm just stepping in when there are 4-5 people left.