PDA

View Full Version : Theory of Poker

JustOnce
01-27-2005, 01:57 PM
I was thinking about the Theory of Poker, and having your opponents make plays that they would make differently if they can see all the cards, and started wondering just how differently some of the fishier players would play even if they COULD see all of the cards. I mean, a lot of these players who chase with low pair mid kicker have to know they're behind most of the time at that point and are chasing for trips or two pair most (but not all) of the time. Pot odds really don't compute with them. Also, those who chase gutshots without the proper odds pretty much know they're behind if they don't hit the straight but it doesn't stop them. Granted, if all the cards were up and they saw a full house or flush on board they'd stop chasing. And with all the cards up there wouldn't be any betting on the river, unless of course there's a REALLY bad player out there. Anyway, I would think the fishier the player is, the less his play would change even if all the cards were up. Except for the river, of course.

captZEEbo1
01-27-2005, 05:34 PM
I think the BIGGEST/FUNNIEST exaggeration of this is when you are playing low-limit stud, you have something like two pair SHOWING on board. You bet river (which is probably the incorrect play against thinking opponents), you get called by 1 person, and you still win.

Yeah some people will just make the same crazy plays even if they DID know what you held.

djoyce003
01-27-2005, 07:12 PM
Yeah i hear ya. Someone posted a hand for amusement value where a guy called a river reraise with 3 high. That's right, he had 23 in his hand. Why would you call a raise with that, you can't beat ANYTHING, yet he called a raise.

schroedy
01-27-2005, 07:37 PM
Well I was the loser in a turn river Hold Em check down hand with an A and a 2 (and 3 unpaired cards) on the board.

The winner was an unpaired, no flush, no straight, 45 suited.

After I automucked, the winner typed "What the heck?"

Mbuna
02-02-2005, 04:53 PM
I agree that many of the players would probably still try to catch one of the two cards out there that would beat you.

I'm not sure if they are just stupid, or simply like to gamble.

CaptLego
02-02-2005, 06:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah i hear ya. Someone posted a hand for amusement value where a guy called a river reraise with 3 high. That's right, he had 23 in his hand. Why would you call a raise with that, you can't beat ANYTHING, yet he called a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe:
A) He just wanted to see what the other guy had
B) Advertising
C) Miss-read his hand
D) Is an idiot

kurosh
02-02-2005, 11:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* that was me :P. We were just messing around on a 2+2 table at .5/1. Everyone was raising and reraising on longshot draws. I had a gutshot that hand. It was purely for entertainment value. I lost 50BB in 10 minutes but oh, it was worth it.