PDA

View Full Version : AJo in sb vs CO openraise

balkii
01-27-2005, 01:18 PM
5 handed 5/10

new to table, no reads

folded to CO who Openraises, I 3-bet AJo in SB, CO calls, HU.

Flop 889r

bet, call

turn 2

bet, cal

river A

bet, raise, call

routine?

sfer
01-27-2005, 01:32 PM
I would assume that a better Ace caps preflop. How 'bout a river checkraise?

J.R.
01-27-2005, 01:34 PM
I think so. What I don't feel great about is the river play on a rag- I usually bet cause I think a check screams a big ace so you won't induce many bluffs, and many overaggro non-thinking typse who wouldn't make this read would have generally already put in a raise.

J.R.
01-27-2005, 01:38 PM
nice line. A pair would have put in a raise, so there is a good chance he has an A other than AQ AKo (no cap preflop) and will bet or he has broadway cards and might bluff the ace (less likely but a Q and many bad K highs don't call, so you don't gain much by betting).

balkii
01-27-2005, 01:58 PM
river c/r seems good. i lose this hand to AK

my SB defense is ridiculous something like fold to a steal 91% or something so I am trying to loosen up there. hands like this dont help.

BottlesOf
01-27-2005, 02:18 PM
Nah, don't let it get to you. Mine is too high to (although not 91, holy [censored] /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) I think you played it well.

wuarhg
01-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Mine is pretty high too, what hands do you usually 3-bet with against someone who steals 30-40% of the time? How low can you go? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

MAxx
01-27-2005, 02:40 PM
you played it good. i think sfer's line is definitely interesting, but i am not sure i am sold on it... with no read.

jr's explanation about villain most likely haveing heard from a pair earlier, and then the likelyhood that villain either has a weak ace or wont call a river bet makes a lot of sense when thinking about leading vs checkraising. however, i am a little hung on thinking that we can narrow an unknown down to that narrow a range. maybe. anyway, it wass definitely worth taking a few minutes to consider.

my sb defense is around mid eighties as well. it just feels wrong to give it up that much, but most alternatives seem worse.