PDA

View Full Version : Virus? Tech assistance needed

Tenacious A
01-27-2005, 11:07 AM
Last night I was 6 tabling on Party and PokerPlex, when all of the sudden my mouse started acting up. If I moved my cursor over any of the buttons (fold/check/raise), it was as though I had clicked on them. I shut down the poker programs and then lost complete control of my mouse. I could move the cursor, but could not open any folders or programs by double clicking. At one point a folder I had clicked on was stuck to my mouse--wherever the mouse moved it came with me. I tried shutting down and restarting with no luck.

The computer is a crappy Compaq and I reluctantly called support (out of warranty $40 charge). I told the guy about my mouse problems and he ran me through a series of steps, that ultimately got us to a point where I needed to uncheck some boxes. I explained again that I couldn't due to my mouse. He said to go buy a new mouse and call back.

I got up this morning and turned on the computer and found the mouse was working. I ran Spybot Search and Destroy. It found 8 problems and fixed them. I then pulled up Norton and tried to run a system scan. I left the room and came back to find a pop up saying "Are you sure you want to stop the scan?". I had not stopped it. After that my mouse went back to last night's state. I just shut down and unplugged my modem. The only thing I can get to pull up is Task Manager via CTRL+ALT+DEL. I can't switch tabs, and I can't end any of the processes. I'm not sure if I should call Compaq back, or Norton, or if this is something I can fix myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this fixed before BONUSJAN expires on Saturday.

Thanks.

Kablooie
01-27-2005, 12:08 PM
The tech guy may have been right. I would buy a new mouse - however, i would get a USB one rather than a psaux one, (assuming that's what you have). I've seen this kind of problem when the port the mouse is connected to is failing, so getting one of a different type will let you troubleshoot that problem. Failing that, time to reach for the re-install windows disks i suspect.