PDA

View Full Version : PokerStars tournament - concerns and queries

05-20-2002, 02:14 PM
Yesterday I played the $50+$5 LHE tournament on PokerStars. Things went pretty well, aces, kings and queens all came my way and all, more importantly, held up, and I had a pretty healthy stack for most of the event, bar one brief period where I lost a few hands in quick succession. So we're down to two tables comprising a total of eleven players. This is where the "fun" starts. An observer who is watching our table alerts us to the fact that the other table is being intentionally slow. I go over to the table, and through PS's handy feature of backdating chat, I see numerous exertions by one player in particular, the ever colourful "Playboy", to "play slow", "don't rush", "take your time", and the like. At the suggestion of another player who was observing the other table, with the agreement of the table, we proceeded to follow suit. I am most definitely not proud of this, but the alternative as I see it, was to let "Playboy" and the others at the second table, gain an unfair advantage by their intentional stalling. I am assuming, though nothing is certain in this world, that the "Playboy" of PS is the same "Playboy" who was recently booted off Paradise. If so, I believe their decision was vindicated - even if the evidence on that occasion was that he had been fitted up, this is nothing more than a lowdown cheat. Added to which his table presence is obnoxious and mars his undoubted poker ability.

I'm new to PokerStars, so I don't know for sure, but I heard through table chat that they are about to introduce hand-for-hand in the run up to the final table - can anyone confirm this? If not it will cast a cloud over an otherwise excellent operation.

Also, when it got down to heads up I had something like 135k-30k, and offered my opponent a deal, as I have done on occasion in the single table tourneys on PP. First paid $1,725, second $1,150, and I offered my opponent $1,300 to call it a day. A friend of mine who was watching via MSN and plays PS pretty much every day immediately informed me that this was not allowed, and indeed when I checked PS's tourney rules I found that they prohibit it. However several people on the rail seemed to think that this was fine, and suggested a variety of ways to go about transferring the cash. In the event he declined, and got busted two minutes later. But could someone confirm whether this is no longer a rule, or a rule that is turned a blind eye to, or whatever.

Regards,

Richard

05-20-2002, 02:44 PM
PokerStars promised to have hand by hand dealing feature some time in the near future.

05-20-2002, 06:53 PM
Slow play during the run up to the final table has occurred in every PokerStars tourney that I have ever been in and advanced that far. It is so common that it just seems like part of the game on PokerStars. I agree that hand-for-hand is ideal in this situation just to keep the game moving and to ensure fairness to each table.