PDA

View Full Version : Wireless router question

Jim Kuhn
01-27-2005, 04:14 AM
What range should I expect outdoors with a wireless router? I know indoors it depends alot on construction materials but what about outside with a clear line of sight? I would like to play poker on the laptop outdoors this spring/summer. Thank you very much for any info.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
/images/graemlins/spade.gif /images/graemlins/diamond.gif /images/graemlins/club.gif /images/graemlins/heart.gif

AncientPC
01-27-2005, 05:12 AM
It depends if your router is b or g spectrum.

Also, is your router going to be outside in direct LOS? If not then the answer is "it varies depending on your housing material".

Jim Kuhn
01-27-2005, 05:25 AM
I would place the router right outside my back door (direct los). I have not bought the router yet. What would be the approximate open range for each type of router? Thank you for the information.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u

RollaJ
01-27-2005, 10:50 AM
My guess would be check the company specific website and multiply their figure by .7 /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Eratosthenes
01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
I use a linksys wrt54g and it reaches about 50 yards from an upstairs room through the wall and out towards the barn. That is on the factory setting for the broadcast power. If you install third party firmware you can increase the power and squeeze out some more range at the expense of the life of your transmitter. Most of the time I lower the power so that I'm not giving away free internet access to the neighbors and other odd passers-by.

Don't write that 50 yards down, your mileage may vary.

AncientPC
01-27-2005, 12:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I use a linksys wrt54g and it reaches about 50 yards from an upstairs room through the wall and out towards the barn. That is on the factory setting for the broadcast power. If you install third party firmware you can increase the power and squeeze out some more range at the expense of the life of your transmitter. Most of the time I lower the power so that I'm not giving away free internet access to the neighbors and other odd passers-by.

Don't write that 50 yards down, your mileage may vary.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should probably just lock your system down and not worry about it.

Just do what Death Valley suggested. There are boost attenaes you can buy to help with signal.

Yads
01-27-2005, 07:19 PM
Should be pretty far, I know people can access the routers of neighbors 1 or 2 houses away.

roundhouse
01-27-2005, 08:14 PM
Line of site from a window, I'd say a couple hundred metres (with a decent ariel, even more). Through a thick house wall or two, make that tens.

RH