PDA

View Full Version : Does the image that correlates to a bad run help or hurt?

laja
01-27-2005, 03:03 AM
I remember one time when I was on a great run, I hit flops hard. I had barely been playing for an hour when I told my friend that I was going to go eat dinner. He said "no man you can't leave, you gotta run out your streak". I laughed and said that I don't believe in superstitions, but then he told me how you start making extra money because players become afraid of you. I realized that he had a very valid point but the more I thought about it the more I still agreed with quitting.
It seems to me that this new image will make players make "better folds" since they respect/fear you and that it will actually be -ev, it almost seems like being on a bad streak is better. What do you guys think?

gila
01-27-2005, 03:53 AM
I would rather have people scared of me so I can steal more pots.

balkii
01-27-2005, 04:30 AM
poker essays 1 discusses image considerations in different poker games. A game like stud is all about getting paid off. Therefore a loose wild image is good. Holdem is all about stealing pots, therefore a tight, winning, aggressive image is best.

manpower
01-27-2005, 12:16 PM
Man, I'd love people to make 'better folds' against me.

I think you're friend is probably right, but only marginally. How much extra win will you have if you stay an extra hour now, instead of coming back after dinner to keep playing? Say you're pulling in 2.2bb/hr with a "hot image" versus your winrate of 2.0bb/hr with a "normal image". So by not playing out your hot streak you're giving up a fraction of a bet. Shot in the dark for figures obviously, but I think the difference is negligible enough that it's better to go eat.

laja
01-27-2005, 08:06 PM
That seems like an educated bb/hr guess, why do players like when other players make "good" folds against them? So many of my students when moving up to 2/4 say, "finally, people are folding and raising" lol seems sill to me, I would rather have high variance and a higher winrate than both be lower:)

zephed56
01-27-2005, 09:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
poker essays 1 discusses image considerations in different poker games. A game like stud is all about getting paid off. Therefore a loose wild image is good. Holdem is all about stealing pots, therefore a tight, winning, aggressive image is best.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why are the microlimits the best games then?

Stork
01-27-2005, 09:49 PM
It really matter how the table reacts to your streak as long as you can adapt your style to maximize profit against them.
If you're on a good streak, players will tend to respect your raises more so you should bluff and semi-bluff more. If you're on a bad streak, players will tend to call you down more and play back at you so you should slow down on the bluffs and semi-bluffs but value bet like there's no tomrrow and play your good hands strong and fast.

James282
01-28-2005, 12:45 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hold 'em is not a game of stealing pots.
-James