PDA

View Full Version : Mike Sexton, announcing god?

walterberk
01-27-2005, 03:01 AM
Let me say this much (I have no idea if I shoudl even post this in here or somewhere else, but I have to say that Mike Sexton is the most amazing commentatpr I have ever heard in my life. Does anyone agree with me.

"He has done Vince. Antonio has done it."

IronDragon1
01-27-2005, 03:14 AM
I totally missed that line (I've only seen one of the shows that Antonio was on and wasn't even paying attention) but that seems...not right....

On a somewhat related note I was perusing through my copy of Stewart Reuben's "How Good Is Your Pot-Limit Omaha?"
just last night I noticed this God ugly ad for Party Poker on the back inside cover, featuring-you guessed it- noted shill Mike Sexton. Totally ruined an otherwise excellent book for me.

MicroBob
01-27-2005, 04:16 AM
Look...he's a great announcer with the occasional weird slip-up.

Stop trying to catch him with his hand in the cookie-jar!!

walterberk
01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
I love everything about Mike Sexton's announcing.

randomchamp
01-27-2005, 04:31 PM
I get a little tired of hearing his same phrases over and over.. "Well no question about it." /images/graemlins/wink.gif

walterberk
01-27-2005, 05:23 PM
his repetition might be what I love the most. Always saying "he's done it..." or "now what this means is..." or "Eskimo needs to catch two runners to make a flush or he will be eliminated from the tournament and Idaho Mike will be our winner..."

TimTimSalabim
01-27-2005, 08:20 PM
Compared to the hacks I've heard on all the other shows (Howard L being the exception), Sexton is indeed an announcing God.

TPL
01-28-2005, 01:40 AM
You're watching Indian tradition at it's finest here, folks! (http://bigslicknuts.blogspot.com/2005/01/youre-watching-indian-tradition-here.html)

jslag
01-28-2005, 04:10 AM
"He's headed for white water Vince!"

Van Patten also makes a strong case for worst poker announcer.

whiskeytown
01-28-2005, 07:12 AM
let's not forget the one that really makes me want to kill people in home games...

"Well Vince, the price of poker has gone up" -

Phil Gordon does pretty well- Even Dave Foley adds color, but in Celeb. Showdown, most of the color/entertainment comes from the players... - Mike and Vince get no such break - /images/graemlins/grin.gif

RB

deacsoft
01-28-2005, 08:09 AM
Good? Yes.
God? No.

_2000Flushes
01-28-2005, 12:32 PM
Mike Sexton may also be one of the hardest people to impersonate. It's nearly impossible to make yourself sound like him.

-2kF

Kenrick
02-01-2005, 03:56 AM
I hadn't seen any of the 2004 WPT season but am currently going through one or two most every day. Mike Sexton seems just fine. If there's a god in poker announcing, I guess he'd be it, although I don't think there is one at the moment, and there isn't much competition. I've noticed Vince has stopped saying how good two crappy cards are just because they're "sooted," so that's nice. Celebrity Poker continues to hurt my head.

Come to think of it, I finally watched the final tables of the 2004 WSOP with Matsow and Raymer and all that. Whoever the guy is who keeps making fun of all the players, HE'S as close to an announcing god as poker has right now. He's not afraid to make fun of anybody. Gotta love any announcer who comes right out and says a particular player is a whiner.

SoCalPat
02-04-2005, 08:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Come to think of it, I finally watched the final tables of the 2004 WSOP with Matsow and Raymer and all that. Whoever the guy is who keeps making fun of all the players, HE'S as close to an announcing god as poker has right now. He's not afraid to make fun of anybody. Gotta love any announcer who comes right out and says a particular player is a whiner.

[/ QUOTE ]

That announcer is Norman Chad. He's a newspaper sports columnist by trade, and if you've ever read any of his stuff, it shouldn't come as a surprise to you that he's quick with the knife.

McEachren and Chad are the best poker announcing team by far, and it's not even close, although Rose/Lederer/other guy whose name escapes me right now on Fox Sports Net are pretty good, too.

jokerthief
02-06-2005, 05:01 AM
See location for classic Sexton.

imported_stealthcow
02-06-2005, 02:09 PM
sexton is a decent/good announcer but reading his card player articles makes me want to throw up.

he should quit trying to self promote himself and wpt in that magazine and write an article involving something of substance.

stealthcow-

Deathbear
02-08-2005, 09:32 PM
BIG SLICK BIG SLICK BIG SLICK

chucksim
02-09-2005, 11:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Compared to the hacks I've heard on all the other shows (Howard L being the exception), Sexton is indeed an announcing God.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed. Howard is the best by far, but Sexton is certainly second to him. VVP is a train wreck. Sexton should get extra pay for having to deal with him.