PDA

View Full Version : Understandig Pot Equity

i collect chips
01-27-2005, 01:46 AM
I am having trouble understanding pot equity.

One side of my brain believes that if I am one of five people at the table, then my pot equity is 20%. I have a flush draw that will come in 35% of the time. Since I will win this hand more than my fair share (20% in this situation) I should push my advantage and bet, raise or re-raise.

The other side of my brain says that I am one of five people in the pot and there are ten bets in the pot. My flush will come in 35% of the time. As a result my pot equity is 35% of the ten bets or 3.5 bets. Now since it will only cost me one bet to call a bet or two bets to call a raise, I should call since this is less than my pot equity.

Is either side of my brain correct?

Thanks in Advance for helping me to understand this concept.

I Collect Chips
My goal is to assimulate my opponents chips and add them to my collective.

johnnybeef
01-27-2005, 09:43 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The other side of my brain says that I am one of five people in the pot and there are ten bets in the pot. My flush will come in 35% of the time. As a result my pot equity is 35% of the ten bets or 3.5 bets.

[/ QUOTE ]

this statement is correct. think of pot equity as if you can play for a fraction of the pot...if you will win the hand 35% of the time in a 10 bet pot, you win 3.5 bets. because pots are not payed off in fractions, you should push in a multiway pot when you have a pot equity edge. the thing that makes pot equity so difficult is that you have to estimate it as it cant be correctly done without knowing your opponents cards. The only way i really apply it is by raising in a multiway hand when i have a huge draw.

i think that pretty much covers it, anyone else?
Johnny

pudley4
01-27-2005, 11:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am having trouble understanding pot equity.

One side of my brain believes that if I am one of five people at the table, then my pot equity is 20%. I have a flush draw that will come in 35% of the time. Since I will win this hand more than my fair share (20% in this situation) I should push my advantage and bet, raise or re-raise.

The other side of my brain says that I am one of five people in the pot and there are ten bets in the pot. My flush will come in 35% of the time. As a result my pot equity is 35% of the ten bets or 3.5 bets. Now since it will only cost me one bet to call a bet or two bets to call a raise, I should call since this is less than my pot equity.

Is either side of my brain correct?

Thanks in Advance for helping me to understand this concept.

I Collect Chips
My goal is to assimulate my opponents chips and add them to my collective.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are both correct.

In general if your pot equity (or winning percentage) against X number of players is greater than 1/X, then you are making money on every single bet that goes in the pot. This is your first example.

If your pot odds are greater than the odds you are getting to call, then you should call. This is your second example.

In some situations these are both true at the same time. Your best option is usually to bet/raise/reraise.

In some situations, #1 is false, but #2 is true. Your best option is usually to check/call.

In some situations, neither is true. Your best option is usually to check/fold.

(Notice that you cannot have a situation where #1 is true and #2 is false...)

pudley4
01-27-2005, 11:21 AM
The word is "assimilate"

i collect chips
01-27-2005, 11:35 AM
Thank You!

TomBrooks
01-27-2005, 03:10 PM
When chips are assimilated into your collective, do they all assume the same value?