PDA

View Full Version : Get me a credit rating

manpower
01-27-2005, 01:21 AM
So, being a college guy, I havn't had any reason to build a credit rating yet. Anyway, this means I can't get a neteller account without going down to the social security office and getting some sort of verification letter. I plan on getting a credit card to build some credit because eventually I may be needing to lease a car or and applying for a lot of stuff sucks without one.

So give me some pointers, what's a good credit card to get (I've already got a debit card)? Or better yet, what's a better way to go?

daryn
01-27-2005, 01:22 AM
just get any old credit card. i would say that lower interest rate is better, but it shouldn't matter because you should never carry a balance over. just buy some stuff you can actually afford, and pay it off immediately.

rinse and repeat.

Michael Davis
01-27-2005, 01:22 AM
Buy everything you are going to buy with a credit card for awhile. Build up gigantic bills and pay them off instantly.

-Michael

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 01:23 AM
if you're in college you'll soon be flooded with credit card offers. just compare rates and fees.

manpower
01-27-2005, 01:30 AM
of course I've got no plans on carrying a balance. The ironic thing is my school's on campus mailboxes throw out all third party mail, so I never actually get offers for credit cards.

eric5148
01-27-2005, 04:18 AM
[ QUOTE ]
this means I can't get a neteller account without going down to the social security office and getting some sort of verification letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I've never had a credit card and I had no problem getting a Neteller account.

guller
01-27-2005, 09:32 AM
Get a secured credit card and a checking account. Use either for all purchases no matter how small. Beware of unsecured credit cards and a college mentality. I was [censored] for many years after college, partying away my Visa.

Good Luck.

BadBoyBenny
01-27-2005, 09:39 AM
IMO if you are going to pay off the balance each month getting a card with good rewards is a better idea than geting one with low rates.

I have a Citibank dividends card, I get 1% back on all purchases and 5% on grocery stores, gas stations, and drug stores. You may not qualify for that yet if you don't have a lot of income or past credit but you can find something that fits you (airline miles, GM cars, gas, there are probably some with college specific bonuses but I don't know what you would want).

You also might as well put everything on the card, because you get an extra month of float before you need to pay the bill.

Some things to remember about your credit score. Average length of your credit accounts matters, so does total credit available relative to your income. So it's better to get one card, with a moderate limit and hold onto it, don't bonus whore with your credit cards.

BUD
01-27-2005, 01:29 PM
It feels good to to be extremely qualified to help on this one. there are alot of better players than me. but i am the best i know at anlayzing credit to get loans ( its my job). first of all you do not need a credit card for a neteller acct. I opened a seperate bank account for my internet poker playing. if your debit card is not connected to a credit card company you may need to do this. it is a nice feeling that i am not giving them my main acct number to get a neteller. so how i do it deposit with my visa debit card from my checking acct.

as far as establishing credit is concerned. i would say someone is paying for your college, and you therefore may not get any credit card offers. the people with student loans get tons of them. if this is the case you and your parents may want to get some student loans that you pay back before graduation etc. if they are in your name then you can get tons of credit. most people establish themselves through student loans. of course make sure they will get paid back ( can not get away from student loans). or you can get a credit card, but the offers wont be that great, and if your not working it is too easy to overspend (trust me ). even if you are working. btw a credit card will not establish you enuff to lease a car unless the car manufacturer is offering a first itme buyer or college grad program. it just wont be enuff credit established.

the debit card with avisa logo will work for whatever else you may need. pm me if you have any other?'s
sincerely
bud

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-27-2005, 02:00 PM
The credit card is good - just make sure you're paying it off every month. Maybe you should also consider taking out small loans from the bank to pay for things like new tires for the car or whatever else, even if you have the cash on hand. Take the loan, pay it off, and it scores you points. It's small points, yes, but you have to start somewhere.

David04
01-27-2005, 06:14 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
this means I can't get a neteller account without going down to the social security office and getting some sort of verification letter.

[/ QUOTE ]

What? I've never had a credit card and I had no problem getting a Neteller account.

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought you just needed a bank account.

Do you need a credit card? Or is it something optional?

DeezNuts
01-27-2005, 06:51 PM
Just get every credit card possible. Then use it like it's free money, disregarding what is in your bank account and ring up monthly late fees, destroying your credit rating for the future and making and making the card have an effective 40% APR. Later, just borrow money from your parents so you can buy anything, as your credit will be too crappy to recover for 10 years.

This is basically the way that credit card companies prey upon the unknowing college students that are bombarded with free stuff every year just for signing up. It's a vicious cycle.

Use the credit card purely as a 30-day interest-free floating loan.

DN