PDA

View Full Version : When to Defend the Big Blind??

05-16-2002, 04:26 PM
Question, when do you defend the big blind against a single raise, by say, a loose aggressive player?

I've read all the usual books, including the excellent S&M tomes, but when it comes to online, low limit, ultra loose poker, some of the usual assumptions change.

Could be thousands, (or millions) of scenarios, but a couple for reference.

1) Online 3/6 game. You have 8,10 offsuit in BB. Players fold to wildass maniac in mid position who likes to bring in any K,rag off, or Ace,rag off, and a variety of weak mid cards for a raise.

He raises, all else and SB folds. Pot is giving you 10 for 3 call heads up. Assume you can virtually always outplay this player post flop, but you do have trouble putting him on a hand due to his overaggressive style with all kinds of hands, and his propensity to bluff frequently.

Do you call? What if another weak loose passive player on button who plays garbage, calls the wild ass maniac and the pot is giving you 16 for 3 call?

What if you have pocket dueces in this spot?

Scenario # 2)

Loose passive online 3/6 game with few raises but a LOT of calling stations. You are in BB with 7,2 off. Wonderful BB hand, you are overjoyed to see it yet again.

Action is call, call, call, call, call, call, fold, button raises. SB folds. You are reasonably certain all the callers are going to call the button raise, and no one will reraise. (That is how this game has been going, check raises etc., very rare, all loose passives).

You assume a 90% chance that a call here in BB will cost you $3.00 for a flop at a $49.0 pot. Assumed pot odds on flop, will be giving you roughly 15 for 1. Do you call and look for a miracle flop, with your 7,2 off?

Incidentally, this precise scenario is a real one I played, where I was BB. I will follow up on what happened.

All thoughts on BB defense, in above and any other type situations, greatly appreciated.

05-16-2002, 04:50 PM
7 2 off isnt playable in any possisions raised or not! toss your 7 2 and wait for bether cards!

05-16-2002, 07:19 PM
If Taxi-Driver throws it away, you better!

05-17-2002, 12:55 AM
#1. You have to hit your hand on the flop... he doesn't. Let him steal until you have a hand that can (at least) call a bluffer to the river.

#2. Yes, the pot odds are good, but with all those callers in there the odds of YOU flopping the best hand are poor. Kiss it good bye.