PDA

View Full Version : facing a min-reraise

schwza
01-26-2005, 10:33 PM
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

MP1 (t810)
MP2 (t695)
MP3 (t785)
CO (t775)
Button (t740)
SB (t785)
BB (t920)
Hero (t800)
UTG+1 (t800)
UTG+2 (t890)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, J/images/graemlins/heart.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t60</font>, UTG+1 folds, UTG+2 folds, MP1 folds, MP2 calls t60, MP3 folds, CO calls t60, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to t105</font>, SB folds, BB folds, Hero calls t45, MP2 calls t45, CO calls t45.

Flop: (t442.50) 5/images/graemlins/heart.gif, 7/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets t220</font>, MP2 folds, CO folds, button pushes T625 (405 more), Hero folds.

Final Pot: t662.50

willperkins
01-26-2005, 10:53 PM
Well lets see:

If he has AA, KK or QQ you are about a 4 to 1 dog.
If he has TT-22 (which I doubt) you are about a 4-1 favorite.
If he has AK or AQ you are a very slight favorite.

What do you think he has? It is early in the tourney, so I assume you have no reads on him. You raised 4 times the big blind from UTG and that plus two cold calls didn't scare him because he came back over the top of all three of you.

You raise half the pot and he still comes over the top of you. I would think he has a big pair (AA, KK or QQ). Since the blinds are still low and I have a decent amout of chips compared to the size of the blinds, I would let it go.

Kaz The Original
01-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Seems like a really weird line. If you fear an overpair check fold the flop no? I would put it all in.

schwza
01-27-2005, 12:44 AM
my roommate was the hero on this hand... when he got the min-reraise, i said i thought it was likely AA/KK. do you agree?

AA suited
01-27-2005, 01:27 AM
min re-raises mean 1 of 2 things:
1) information- he wants to know if you're bluffing or not. if you call/raise, then he knows where he stands

2) he has a monster, and wants you to call. he's trying to bleed you for all the chips he can.

Insty
01-27-2005, 01:59 PM
Play JJ like a small pair this early in the tournament. limp + hope to hit a set.

se2schul
01-27-2005, 02:04 PM
What was the buy-in?
At party low levels, villains love to build pots with min raises when they have a 4-flush.
I put him on 2 hearts if it was a $5-$20. No clue for high buy-ins.

Steve

DblDownTrent
01-27-2005, 02:22 PM
I think he has a bigger PP, or hit his set, min reraise with that many limpers is probably a very strong hand. I think you have to lay it down.

ColdestCall
01-27-2005, 03:04 PM
It looks like you are in trouble, although I have to admit that the min re-raise has me mystified. What would motivate someone to min re-raise when it is certain that he will get three callers? A good player with a big pair is going to hit it harder here (do you really want to give three players a cheap shot to crack your AA for all your chips? I dont. I'd much rather give one player an expensive shot). So the min re-raiser is either a bad player, playing a big pair badly, or.....

A bad player, playing a drawing hand very creatively (and I'm only considering him "bad" in this case because it is pointless to try and get this cute this early in an SNG with this much of your stack). For instance, a hand like 6-7s, or 9-10s, 68s, etc, that doesnt mind four way action. If you are going to play one of those hands here, you may as well min-rasie it to give it some deception. Everyone is going to call (although the initial raiser may move-in on you, which would suck), so you've built a big pot with a deceptive hand. If you hit your two pair, or trips, or a little straight draw, or flush draw, you've got a hand to win a big pot with or even if only rags fall. Moreover, if rags fall, since no one knows what you have, you may be able to steal the flop by moving in.

Or maybe he's a bad player playing 10-10 too agressively....nah ....you are probably beat and may as well fold.

BTW, all of this trouble could have been avoided by just limping your JJ to begin with...

schwza
01-27-2005, 03:32 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What was the buy-in?
At party low levels, villains love to build pots with min raises when they have a 4-flush.
I put him on 2 hearts if it was a $5-$20. No clue for high buy-ins.

Steve

[/ QUOTE ]

the min-raise came preflop. i would be surprised if he had a 4-flush.

schwza
01-27-2005, 03:33 PM
sorry, forgot to mention - this is a $10+1 at party.

schwza
01-27-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Play JJ like a small pair this early in the tournament. limp + hope to hit a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

that would have avoided these problems. the thing is, opponents will cold-call raises with A9o in the early going, and i think you're giving up an awful lot of equity by not charging them.

i assume you still advocate raising QQ?

ColdestCall
01-27-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I figured from the stack sizes.....