PDA

View Full Version : gen. question on how to play low pp

samdar
01-26-2005, 09:58 PM
how is it correct to play low pocket pairs from early positions. UTG, UTG+1.... Should you call hoping for trips or raise to push out players and hope for a low flop?

phixxx
01-26-2005, 10:07 PM
It depends on the stack sizes. If the stacks are very deep, what I've heard around here is that caling a raise for 10% of your stack is a good idea. The implied odds that you'll get from playing those pairs is very high in a deep stack game. However, if the stacks are much shorter, I believe it comes either raise or fold, and if the stacks are VERY short, push or fold.

I'm tired and could think of more, but I'm going to sleep.

Richard Tanner
01-26-2005, 10:09 PM
I tend to limp in with 2s to 10s and raise thereafter. I usually fold to a large raise afterwards, but will call up to 1/7th of my money as I assume the implied odds of hitting my set are high. If, however, I'm up against one person, my implied odds usually drop so then it's a gametime call.

Cody

PokerGal7777
01-26-2005, 11:28 PM
In early position you should fold low pocket pairs such as 22,33,44,55 and maybe even 66 depending on the game. If you have a pocket pair from 66-99, I would just call and wait to see further action. But I would raise TT-AA, these are very strong hands to start with. But with the lower pocket pairs.. 22-66, if you wanted to see a flop, just call. No reason to raise from early position. -Debra.

phixxx
01-29-2005, 07:15 AM
You fold 22-66 in a NL game in EP? Why? This isn't limit where you'd need about 4:1 in an unraised pot to make limping with a pair correct...your implied odds shoot way up. I don't think mucking pairs in EP, unless the game is very tight, is very profitable.

betgo
01-29-2005, 09:43 AM
You shouldn't raise to push pout players for a low flop. You should generally limp and play for a set.

If you have about 8xBB or less, you should generally push to take the blinds.

Later in the tournament, when people generally open for raises and raises often take the pot, you might raise. Here you are hoping to take the blinds, but if you get called you play the flop. Generally you fire once at a high flop. From early position, you might checkraise at a low flop.