PDA

View Full Version : How many *close* friends do you have?

pshreck
01-26-2005, 07:34 PM
You can define close in any way you want. I think the numbers people write may tell a lot about them. Of course, we will all have different definitions of close, but that is kind of the point.

I have 6 close friends.

thirddan
01-26-2005, 07:38 PM
5, including girlfriend...

daryn
01-26-2005, 07:38 PM
maybe 4

partygirluk
01-26-2005, 07:39 PM

Burno
01-26-2005, 07:39 PM
Seems like it's about 6 for me too, although a few rotate in and out from a slightly larger pool of 10-12.

I really don't see how you could have more than 8-10 "close" friends, time simply won't allow it. I, however, am making a distinction between close friends and "good friends."

tyfromm
01-26-2005, 07:41 PM
My closest friends in the world are right here on OOT.

Do you want to be my friend? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sfer
01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe 4

[/ QUOTE ]

That's about right. The kind of friend that you can convey a thought at a glance.

Wake up CALL
01-26-2005, 07:46 PM
Randy, Mike, Paul, Jim, Steve and Deanne. So my answer is six, Jim, Steve and Deanne are all siblings which may or may not be unusual. We have known each other for 45 years and are as close as the day is long.

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 07:48 PM
<font color="red"> 4 </font>

pshreck
01-26-2005, 07:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Randy, Mike, Paul, Jim, Steve and Deanne. So my answer is six, Jim, Steve and Deanne are all siblings which may or may not be unusual. We have known each other for 45 years and are as close as the day is long.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think listing siblings as close friends is quite possibly one of the best signs that you are a healthy individual. This comes from no research or anything, it just seems that way.

Koller
01-26-2005, 07:50 PM

Rick Diesel
01-26-2005, 07:54 PM
either 4 or 8, depending on whether family is allowed.

wacki
01-26-2005, 07:56 PM
I consider a close friend someone who you can call for help at 5 in the morning. A badass friend is someone you can call for help several states away. As an undergrad I easily had 7 badass friends that had all withstood many trials and tests. I lost 5 of those through mostly uncontrollable (meaning not their fault) tragedies. It sucks, but that is life. My mom always tells me I have the most unusual luck. It's either really good or really bad. My current social life doesn't compare to what it was like as an undergrad. I miss the life... *sniff* *sniff*

I'm not sure how many close friends I have now.

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 07:58 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think listing siblings as close friends is quite possibly one of the best signs that you are a healthy individual. This comes from no research or anything, it just seems that way.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, my brother is included in mine.

tyfromm
01-26-2005, 07:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I lost 5 of those through mostly uncontrollable tragedies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uncontrollable tragedies?

Do you mean your 5 friends are dead?

pshreck
01-26-2005, 08:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I lost 5 of those through mostly uncontrollable tragedies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uncontrollable tragedies?

Do you mean your 5 friends are dead?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I was confused by this too... you mean you 'broke up' as friends, or they passed away?

offTopic
01-26-2005, 08:03 PM

wacki
01-26-2005, 08:04 PM
Some of the 5 I lost are dead, yes. The first one I lost was hit by a dump truck that ran a red light at 7 in the morning while my friend was going to work. He's alive, but spent 6 months in a coma and has to wear a helmet when playing any kind of sports. Needless to say he's not the same. Lost a few to drunk drivers. And one went to jail for pot. That, of course, was his fault.

gaming_mouse
01-26-2005, 08:06 PM
[ QUOTE ]
And one went to jail for pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

How long is his sentence?

judgesmails
01-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Family not included, three. My definition of close friend is someone you can talk to about your most personal matters and rely on them to listen and be honest with you. They will do things for you like prevent you from going home with a fat chick.

goofball
01-26-2005, 08:10 PM

daryn
01-26-2005, 08:11 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
My definition of close friend is someone you can talk to about your most personal matters and rely on them to listen and be honest with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

whoa, change mine to zero!

wacki
01-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Not sure, I'm about to find out soon though. He was still a college student but wasn't your average dealer. They kind of took him away and I haven't really seen him since. Since he had buddies that were across state lines (he was an out of state college student) that means they can tag him for a very long time on multiple charges. He was one of the most honest people I've ever known in my life and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss him. He was easily in the top 2% of the gene pool and had everything going for him. It sucks because he really was a great guy. By great guy I mean he will do anything for you, doesn't like selfish people, and wouldn't hesitate to do charity work like habitat for humanity. I know it sounds contradictory but it's true. His only real fault was his temper, but it wasn't any worse than my dads. People are stupid sometimes.

Sponger15SB
01-26-2005, 08:18 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
My definition of close friend is someone you can talk to about your most personal matters and rely on them to listen and be honest with you.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i thought close friends meant "can give them constant [censored] about everything"??

mine now goes from 5 to 0

fatmongo
01-26-2005, 08:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

BusterStacks
01-26-2005, 08:21 PM

pshreck
01-26-2005, 08:27 PM
It's interesting to see how close most peoples numbers are. Probably has something to do with human nature.

That, or society.

I like being specific.

gaming_mouse
01-26-2005, 08:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I know it sounds contradictory but it's true.

[/ QUOTE ]

That doesn't sound contradictory at all. Being a pot dealer doesn't imply anything negative at all to me. Most of my friends who've done that were real hippie do-gooder types. Anyway, that's terrible that he's serving time. Hopefully he'll be out soon.

gm

AncientPC
01-26-2005, 08:58 PM
5, maybe 6 (including the gf).

daryn
01-26-2005, 08:59 PM

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i thought close friends meant "can give them constant [censored] about everything"??

mine now goes from 5 to 0

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly. i figured it was people who don't drive you crazy, who you can sit around and BS with all day.

tdarko
01-26-2005, 09:00 PM
5 including my girlfriend and her sister (she is hot too and ya never know /images/graemlins/wink.gif)

mmbt0ne
01-26-2005, 09:02 PM
Given how 'close firend' has been defined, I'd probably say 0 also. I would've said 1 about 7 months ago, but a bunch of crap went done betweem him and another one of my friends and somehow I got dragged into it, which really blew.

I have plenty of people who are my friends, but I don't think there are any of them that I would talk about most stuff with. I'd certainly call a few at 5am to come get me out of jail, but I wouldn't ask for their opinion on this or that in my life. On the flip side, I would say that probably 4-5 of my friends would consider me a close friend, since I usually seem to be the 'problem solver' of the group.

tdarko
01-26-2005, 09:05 PM
you should define "close friend" yourself and not go by someone else's gay rules. a close friend to me is someone that would do anything for you as you would for them too. thats it for me...and that is a very high standard cause it rarely goes both ways.

Duke
01-26-2005, 09:13 PM
Someone that I'll tell anything to? 1. People I treat as other people treat their best friend in the world? Maybe 6 more.

~D

IndieMatty
01-26-2005, 09:22 PM
If I were to get married I have 11 dudes who I would ask to be in my wedding party. six of them are friends I grew up with through elementary school and still see all the time.

I have one girl, who I consider a close friend.

Diplomat
01-26-2005, 09:22 PM
Good way of putting it. I'd say 2 that I have complete confidence in, and probably about 6 or 7 very good friends.

-Diplomat

judgesmails
01-26-2005, 11:58 PM
Glad I could help. Best of luck to you.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I have 5 close friends, 2 of which I'd help bury bodies for if they asked.

I wonder if anyone of the married crew considered their wives in this list?

Yeti
01-27-2005, 09:55 AM
2. Maybe 3.

Alobar
01-27-2005, 12:02 PM
I have about 8 friends I would lay down in traffic for, and I know they would do the same.

Ponks
01-27-2005, 12:12 PM
I'd say 3 really close friends, and probably 3-4 more close friends.

Ponks

nicky g
01-27-2005, 12:18 PM
2 really close, not including my wife, although I wouldn't say I could/would talk to them about absolutely anything in my life. Used to be a lot closer to a couple of others - one ( a girl) who I really could talk to about anything, although even then I'd have regarded my older friends as closer, and I guess I would have been right as I've stayed close to them - but have drifted since. The two that I still regard as very close have been my closest friends since I was about 12, and I've known them since I was much younger. About four or five other people I would regard as very good friends.

LALDAAS
01-27-2005, 12:22 PM
6 we all grouped together in nursery school. whats funny is 2 of the 6 are brothers and the rest are related, all cousins of the 2 brothers. I am the only one not blood.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 12:24 PM
Five not counting the wife. Three are Marine buddies. One I grew up with since we were two. The other is a girl I was really close to once upon a time, and we're still good friends.

Shajen
01-27-2005, 01:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Three are Marine buddies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Funny how this works.

2 of mine are Marine buds.

BeerMoney
01-27-2005, 01:50 PM

Reef
01-27-2005, 02:14 PM
bout 4

2planka
01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
I have one. She has the same last name as me. The rest of my friends?....not even close.

jakethebake
01-27-2005, 02:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have one. She has the same last name as me. The rest of my friends?....not even close.

[/ QUOTE ]
Your mom doesn't count.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 08:46 AM
[ QUOTE ]
maybe 4

[/ QUOTE ]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v638/pwarcham/OOTtub.jpg

Yeti
06-10-2005, 08:49 AM
nh

morgant
06-10-2005, 08:57 AM
so, of the 8, one says " lay down in traffic,"

alobar says "sure"

or conversely, you ask a different one of the eight,

"dude, can you lay down in traffic?"

dude smoothly replies, "you'd do it for me."

terrific reasoning.

gorie
06-10-2005, 09:06 AM
1, my boyfriend. i can tell him anything.
other than that i have no friends.

Yeti
06-10-2005, 09:08 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

good luck if (touch wood) you break up.

CieloAzor
06-10-2005, 09:11 AM
No less than 8. There are others on the bubble and even more just outside the inner circle. Unfortunately, I'm about a thousand miles away from all of them. I'm moving back soon though. It's been years.

I've visited a few times and it's like I never left. My whole group of friends up there is like a family and I'd fight for any one of them. They're mostly tough guys and shady characters, but surprisingly fair and occassionally sensitive. More than anything, they're hilarious. I'm not really sure how I fit in though. /images/graemlins/confused.gif

jason_t
06-10-2005, 09:12 AM
The answer used to be four. Since then, one has killed himself, one betrayed me and tried to kill me, another betrayed me and the other is 5000 miles away.

gorie
06-10-2005, 09:12 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
thanks...
good point, i'll summon some good friends up right now.

i'm a shy, weird person. don't be mean.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 09:15 AM
[ QUOTE ]
The answer used to be four. Since then, one has killed himself, one betrayed me and tried to kill me, another betrayed me and the other is 5000 miles away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that was just the script for the Kung Fu movie you watched last night.

Yeti
06-10-2005, 09:17 AM
sorry, not trying to be mean.

i know a few couples who are totally infatuated with each other and don't have any other friends. i worry about what may happen if something goes wrong.

jason_t
06-10-2005, 09:22 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure that was just the script for the Kung Fu movie you watched last night.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no f[/i]ucking clue what you're talking about, and frankly I don't care.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were serious with your previous post, then I apologize.

jason_t
06-10-2005, 09:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you were serious with your previous post, then I apologize.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you. My post was serious.

Dominic
06-10-2005, 10:08 AM
counting my girlfriend, I have 5 close friends.

SoSo
06-10-2005, 10:14 AM
I only have 1 friend, Mrs Hand and her 5 lovely daughters......

kyro
06-10-2005, 10:14 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If she doesn't (touch wood), they WILL break up.

3 and 1 for me.

gorie
06-10-2005, 02:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha well it's been this way for 7+ years... if he was gonna break up with me because of that i think it would have happened by now.

[ QUOTE ]

i know a few couples who are totally infatuated with each other and don't have any other friends. i worry about what may happen if something goes wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]
no problem, i get what you're saying. i was just answering the question, didn't say i thought it was a good thing i don't have more friends.
but, i guess i didn't really have friends before i met him either, so the worst that happens if we do break up is i'm back to where i was before i knew him , oh well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i dunno, i'm just not a very social person i don't need a lot of friends.

tbach24
06-10-2005, 02:41 PM

kerssens
06-10-2005, 02:46 PM
5....my criteria is someone that you can go a while without seeing and when you do hang out with them you pick up right where you left off.

kyro
06-10-2005, 02:49 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha well it's been this way for 7+ years... if he was gonna break up with me because of that i think it would have happened by now.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
no problem, i get what you're saying. i was just answering the question, didn't say i thought it was a good thing i don't have more friends.
but, i guess i didn't really have friends before i met him either, so the worst that happens if we do break up is i'm back to where i was before i knew him , oh well. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

i dunno, i'm just not a very social person i don't need a lot of friends.

[/ QUOTE ]

You could always hook up with -Skeme- /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

pshreck
06-10-2005, 02:50 PM
LOL, you ressurected this 5 month old thread to post the hot tub pic.

Bastard.

jakethebake
06-10-2005, 02:53 PM
[ QUOTE ]
LOL, you ressurected this 5 month old thread to post the hot tub pic.

Bastard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was doing a search for something and ended up reading this thread...I got to daryn and said "Holy [censored]!" /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alobar
06-10-2005, 03:16 PM
[ QUOTE ]
so, of the 8, one says " lay down in traffic,"

alobar says "sure"

or conversely, you ask a different one of the eight,

"dude, can you lay down in traffic?"

dude smoothly replies, "you'd do it for me."

terrific reasoning.

[/ QUOTE ]

someone needs to work on their literal skills.

I bet you also wonder how well someone can really know the back of their hand, or why it is that so many people know what sh[/i]it tastes like.

Gamblor
06-10-2005, 03:20 PM

All from different times of my life, all at the periphery of connecting social circles.