PDA

View Full Version : Poker Cartoon

TheFlopper
01-26-2005, 05:34 PM
Hello,
I am looking for opinions on a poker cartoon that my old college roommate and I are creating. I stumbled upon this site in my search for a place to get opinions and I gotta say this a great place to find opinions! I only wish I found this site years ago.

Right now we have about 5 cartoons up and the site is obviously under construction. Take a look and let me know what you think. My main concern is whether people will get our jokes. The way I look at it is, if you don't get the joke then we have failed to deliver the joke to you.

Alright, let me know what you think! Constructive criticism is always appreciated.
The site is: www.TheFlopCartoon.com (http://www.TheFlopCartoon.com)

jakethebake
01-26-2005, 05:36 PM
/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Patrick del Poker Grande
01-26-2005, 05:36 PM
Where's the option for "I have no idea what the hell you're talking about because you never gave a link or posted the cartoons"? Wherever it is, that's the one I pick.

jakethebake
01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Where's the option for "I have no idea what you're talking about because you never gave a link or posted the cartoons"?

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.

LALDAAS
01-26-2005, 05:37 PM
What a tool! how about a link!

jakethebake
01-26-2005, 05:39 PM
oh [censored] it. i'm gonna go ahead and vote.

stabn
01-26-2005, 05:40 PM
I voted without watching it.

tdarko
01-26-2005, 05:41 PM
now i wish you would have just left the post without the link. man that is 2 minutes of my life i will never get back.

Broken Glass Can
01-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Change the gender on the strip poker cartoon. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

LALDAAS
01-26-2005, 05:43 PM
I give them an "E" for effort but ya better hit the drawing board.

I have seen alot of one word replies on these boards funnier then these comics

MelK
01-26-2005, 05:49 PM
I like the art style, and I am always looking for good poker themed wallpapers for my desktop. Please consider adding some to your bonus content page. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

OOT regulars: If you have a better punchline, why not suggest it to him?

ClaytonN
01-26-2005, 05:50 PM
Oh, man. Wow.

I almost chuckled these were so unfunny, but then I thought better of it.

jakethebake
01-26-2005, 05:50 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have seen alot of one word replies on these boards funnier then these comics

[/ QUOTE ]

TheFlopper
01-26-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks Melk,
That is a great suggestion and I will definitely make those available. Also, thanks for being one of the only posters so far to say something constructive.

ClaytonN
01-26-2005, 05:56 PM
You asked for opinions, man. Check the polls yourself.

Most don't find them funny, even though they get it crystal clear. That's all I'm gonna say.

tdarko
01-26-2005, 05:57 PM
if you cant handle what people say about your work then this isnt the place for you. i suggest the rec.poker /images/graemlins/wink.gif

lucas9000
01-26-2005, 06:04 PM
the bouncer cartoon was decent, but only because of the word "together."

drewjustdrew
01-26-2005, 06:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You asked for opinions, man. Check the polls yourself.

Most don't find them funny, even though they get it crystal clear. That's all I'm gonna say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who said comics have to be funny though? Have you read the sunday "funnies" lately, or ever. The amount of humor in those is pretty small. Mildly interesting is the best you can hope for in a "funny" cartoon.

My advice would be to create a serial like Gil Thorp for poker. That would be infinitely more appealing to poker players and the general public. I suggested that to an artist friend of mine, but he never pursued it.

Of course, TheFlopper is probably more of an artist than a writer, so he may need to recruit story ideas. I wonder if there is a site where people share poker stories to research...

tdarko
01-26-2005, 06:10 PM
what do you mean who said comics have to be funny?? i think it says why in the word itself. just because the "funnies" in the newspaper suck ass doesnt mean anyone who isn't funny can call themself a comic. you are right about the artist thing, maybe he should call himself an artist? then maybe he wont get flamed.

pshreck
01-26-2005, 06:16 PM
First of all, you are stealing jokes that other people have thought of.

Second of all, the 72 off cartoon was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It looks like a cartoon someone would make in order to make fun of what you are trying to do.

Lastly, if this is the best stuff you can currently come up with, why do you think you could ever make this last?

You showed it to a bunch of poker players, most who have a really good sense of humor... and just about no one liked any of them. I would say it's time to do something new.

tdarko
01-26-2005, 06:18 PM
yeah where is sup bro when you need him....hmmmm maybe a sup bro comic would have been better?

TheFlopper
01-26-2005, 06:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am very interested to know who I have stolen jokes from?

Voltron87
01-26-2005, 06:26 PM
Those were really terrible. The fire one was just abysmal. How could you ever think that was funny?

The only half decent one was the bouncer one. That was kind of funny.

pshreck
01-26-2005, 06:54 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing poker nude/in the underwear while on the internet... done.

ANY JOKE about an obvious tell while bluffing or having a strong hand. This is the least original, plus you did it with 'liar liar pants on fire'... awful. I can actually find a link to a another cartoon about something like this, not even just a joke.

A joke about "I'm all in" used outside of poker terms. Most of the time used for sexual references. Used all the time for random things, completely unoriginal on your part.

OK... a joke about 72 off suit. Not orignal. Specifically, a joke about junk cards, with the table expression "these cards couldn't get into church" comes to mind, you just changed it to a night club.

A joke about playing cards against an inanimate object... been done many times. There are even expressions about it, "Its like trying to bluff a wall".

I'm sure you didn't really think that you came up with these ideas... you just heard them elsewhere and manipulated them slightly. That really doesn't matter all that much though, but if you are gonna be unoriginal, atleast try to be funny.

drewjustdrew
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
doesnt mean anyone who isn't funny can call themself a comic.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are clearly mistaken. I'm sure the 98% of unfunny comediennes (redundant?) would call themselves comics. But maybe they preface that with "female" and you are technically right.

daryn
01-26-2005, 07:15 PM
oh snap.

drewjustdrew
01-26-2005, 07:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Second of all, the 72 off cartoon was quite possibly the dumbest thing I've ever seen. It looks like a cartoon someone would make in order to make fun of what you are trying to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an excellent observation. We need someone to replace the 7 2 with images of the other cartoons.

drewjustdrew
01-26-2005, 07:18 PM
I actually didn't get the pants on fire before this. Thanks. I'm a dumbass.

Broken Glass Can
01-26-2005, 07:20 PM
For the record, I think a true poker newbie would chuckle at these jokes more than we who are immersed in poker.

If you just learned yesterday that the 72o was the worst hand in holdem, you would probably chuckle at the bouncer cartoon. (but to us here at 2+2, it is old hat, and good comedy comes from the unexpected)

shant
01-26-2005, 07:26 PM
I'll say something constructive. I really like your illustration style, and I think you could approach poker magazines for editorial illustrations.

pshreck
01-26-2005, 07:27 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually didn't get the pants on fire before this. Thanks. I'm a dumbass.

[/ QUOTE ]

No your not. It took me a while to get it. At first I thought they were on fire because he was nervous. When I finally realized it was that phrase, I was dumbfounded that someone would ever make that cartoon.

pshreck
01-26-2005, 07:28 PM
[ QUOTE ]
For the record, I think a true poker newbie would chuckle at these jokes more than we who are immersed in poker.

If you just learned yesterday that the 72o was the worst hand in holdem, you would probably chuckle at the bouncer cartoon. (but to us here at 2+2, it is old hat, and good comedy comes from the unexpected)

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone anywhere would ever chuckle at these cartoons.

tdarko
01-26-2005, 07:30 PM
haha, female "comics" are bad!

ClaytonN
01-26-2005, 07:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]
who said comics have to be funny??

[/ QUOTE ]

*SLAP*

Snap out of it!!

Broken Glass Can
01-26-2005, 07:33 PM
[ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone anywhere would ever chuckle at these cartoons.

[/ QUOTE ]

Check out the ones at CardPlayer. (http://www.cardplayer.com/poker-ecards/) A lot of these seem unfunny to me now, but would have been funny when I was new to poker.

pudley4
01-26-2005, 08:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Number One is exactly the same scene as a Peanuts strip with Snoopy's cousin (playing cards against a cactus)

pshreck
01-26-2005, 08:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Number One is exactly the same scene as a Peanuts strip with Snoopy's cousin (playing cards against a cactus)

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I don't think this guy will ever come on this board again. Check that website in a week to see if it's still up.

Wasnt Schultz the king of suing for people using his characters/comic strips without permission?

daryn
01-26-2005, 08:40 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice. I don't think this guy will ever come on this board again. Check that website in a week to see if it's still up.

Wasnt Schultz the king of suing for people using his characters/comic strips without permission?

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't schultz dead? the guy is safe. /images/graemlins/wink.gif

pshreck
01-26-2005, 08:42 PM
That's why I said it in the past tense.

Although Im not sure if this stuff isn't going on still, I'm sure in his later years he just hired a law firm to do it.

My highschool was sued twice for it... both times someone using Snoopy in an art class picture.