PDA

View Full Version : My Xbox is dying

AngryCola
01-26-2005, 05:11 PM
So, I was one of the foolish people who bought their Xboxes the first day they came out. I sat in line for several hours and paid the full $300 + games.

It's good to know I went to all that trouble.

See, I got one of the boxes with a Thomson drive.
For those of you who know the problems with these drives, all I can say is, "Yeah..."

Brand new games are put in the system and all it spits out is, "The disc is dirty or damaged..etc"

I hear there was a lawsuit filed against microsoft which deals with all the defective Xboxes that were sold around the initial launch. That's nice, but I doubt it will ever help me.

So, I've done some searching and found out that I can take the damn thing apart (the DVD drive too), and replace the faulty laser. These cost about 20 bucks on Ebay ($30 at major online retailers).

It's going to be kind of a pain installing this thing, but I suppose it's worth it. It's either that or buy a whole new drive. The new drives (Samsung..best quality for Xbox) are $100!!!!

That's more than half the cost of the current Xboxes. Screw that. I would just buy a whole new system with all the improvements that have been made in the last few years before I did that.

So, what was the point to this post? I'm not really sure.
Maybe this will inform somebody out there who is having the same problems with their box. This problem is widespread with the Thomson drives, so I wouldn't be surprised if other people on here have the same issues.

Also, this post is to inform those of you who I have been playing Halo 2 with. The reasons listed in my post are why I've been having such difficulty staying in consecutive games. Luckily, Halo 2 seems to run better than almost any other game I own. EA Sports titles are almost worthless.

I bought a new controller to take care of my malfunctioning control issue.
Next up -
The laser.

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 05:13 PM
fix it and start playing Halo 2 immediately.

NLSoldier
01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
XBOXES are invincible dude! Just be glad you don't have a PS2, you would have had to replace it about 8 times by now.

AngryCola
01-26-2005, 05:15 PM
[ QUOTE ]
fix it and start playing Halo 2 immediately.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

I think I'll have it fixed a few hours after the laser arrives. Hopefully that will be in "2-4 business days".

Until then, I can still play Halo 2, but every once in awhile it will screw up on me.

AngryCola
01-26-2005, 05:19 PM
[ QUOTE ]
XBOXES are invincible dude! Just be glad you don't have a PS2, you would have had to replace it about 8 times by now.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a PS2 and Gamecube too.

The difference is, I didn't purchase either when they first came out.
Honestly, I've never had many problems with my PS2. Still, I have heard a lot of stories about screwed up PS2s as well.

I don't use it nearly as much as the Xbox though.

*NOTE*
I've never had a single problem with my Gamecube.
At least Nintendo got that much right.

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 05:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]MY PS2 has never ever had problems, nor have the controllers.

My only advice for video game machines is don't put them on the floor, especially not on carpet.

stabn
01-26-2005, 05:20 PM
That blows. Mine went out about a year ago (different reason). I ended up buying a new one after calling support and asking if they could do anything about it. They made me an offer to fix it really cheap since i threatened to cancel my xbox live subscription. Unfortunately, i'd already cracked the case and voided my warranty.

Mano
01-26-2005, 06:15 PM
You could mod the X-Box and then put in larger hard drive, better DVD, etc.

AngryCola
01-26-2005, 06:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
You could mod the X-Box and then put in larger hard drive, better DVD, etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but all of that would cost more than a new xbox.
I could easily buy a new Samsung drive for about $100.
But then I might as well buy a whole new system with a Samsung drive for $150.

I'm really not interested in doing much modding to my xbox. I've heard about Xbox Live! cracking down on consoles that have been modified. Some reports even specify that they had turned off the chip before signing on.

That's not good.

I can buy this little part for much cheaper-
http://images.andale.com/f2/107/115/13715249/1075962579093_xthomson.jpg

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 03:05 PM
*UPDATE* (as if anyone really cared)

I found something that caught my eye when I was browsing ebay for lasers and such.

Fully modified samsung 616Ts with far greater speed than any of the standard xbox drives. Also, it can support all types of media.. CD-R, etc.

The xbox will recognize the drive as a samsung 605 (one of the stock drives for xboxes).

I can get this drive for like $55.
I can only find the actual stock 605s for a much higher price!
So, that makes my new decision pretty easy.

I just decided to say, "Screw the Thomson!"

I'm not going to pay even $20 to get that thing in working order again. I'll risk the extra $40 (~cost + shipping) for the superior drive.

I like knowing that I'll have a lot of extra speed.

Hopefully the drive will arrive by the end of next week.
:crosses fingers:

sthief09
01-27-2005, 03:33 PM
just go on ebay and buy a new drive, but DON'T get the Thomson drive, which is a POS. just pop the top and plug it in. all the box is is a motherboard, a DVD drive and a regular computer HDD. I modded mine up, which only ran me like $150 and a week of research. it's sick though. I go to Blockbuster, rent games, and rip them onto my box. I also have hundreds of movies. basically all you need is at www.xbox-scene.com (http://www.xbox-scene.com)

sthief09
01-27-2005, 03:34 PM
yeah I can't use Live on mine (modded), which kinda sucks, but encourages me to do more money making rather than Halo playing. the chip I used was screw on. really easy

stabn
01-27-2005, 03:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]

it's sick though. I go to Blockbuster, rent games, and rip them onto my box.

[/ QUOTE ]
And people wonder why mod chips aren't allowed to hit xbox live....

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 03:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
just go on ebay and buy a new drive, but DON'T get the Thomson drive, which is a POS. just pop the top and plug it in. all the box is is a motherboard, a DVD drive and a regular computer HDD. I modded mine up, which only ran me like $150 and a week of research. it's sick though. I go to Blockbuster, rent games, and rip them onto my box. I also have hundreds of movies. basically all you need is at www.xbox-scene.com (http://www.xbox-scene.com)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. Of course I knew all that already. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regardless, just buying the laser would have been the cheapest option. I refuse to spend anything over about $75 to fix the machine. That's half the cost of a new system.

But yeah, as far as a new drive goes, check out the last post I made that bumped this thread all the way to the top. I think you will like my selection.

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 03:41 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree about the piracy.
As for any other enhancements...
They better stay out of my business.

I'll have no problem with the new drive though. It cost more than I was wanting to pay to fix this thing, but it should be worth it.

Thoughts of taking the Thomson apart and waiting for it to break again caused me to attempt another/better solution.

sthief09
01-27-2005, 03:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

who wonders?

stabn
01-27-2005, 03:46 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree about the piracy.
As for any other enhancements, they better stay out of my business.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sure. It's just hard to differentiate between a modchip on your system for piracy, cheating, or some other reason.

stabn
01-27-2005, 03:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]

who wonders?

[/ QUOTE ]
Read some of those forums etc for modders. They are typically filled with "omg i just downloaded a live update and now i can't sign into live". I've been banninated, omg, M$ suxxors .

P.S. I just ripped halo 2 to my xbox after my friend rented it from blockbuster and ripped it to his too. OMG i didn't pay a thing, isn't that kewl.

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 03:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Sure. It's just hard to differentiate between a modchip on your system for piracy, cheating, or some other reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, I understand that much.
I'm not looking to put a modchip in.
The new samsung is flashed with the stock 605 firmware.

If I did, it would be for unlocking the PC aspect of the xbox, not piracy. I probably still won't ever put a chip in though.

I don't really have much need for all the extra features.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 03:54 PM
dude, any news on new Halo 2 maps????????????????!!!!!!!!??????????!?!??!?!?!

Freakin
01-27-2005, 04:22 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yeah I can't use Live on mine (modded), which kinda sucks, but encourages me to do more money making rather than Halo playing. the chip I used was screw on. really easy

[/ QUOTE ]

Should replace it with a newer chip w/ a switch. I bought the Xodus/Matrix when that first came out, then I stupidly did a favor for a friend and wound up w/ a bad chip... I'm just getting around to buyinga new xecutor so I can steal games like the good old days...

Freakin

stabn
01-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Bungie has publicly stated that they are working something to do with halo 2 still. What kind of content it is, who knows, but it's probably maps. Zero clue on if/when they'll be on live.

Rob Blackburn
01-27-2005, 04:56 PM
Why are you trying to fix this, just to to Wal-Mart and buy a new Xbox.

Tools Needed: One razor blade, One Hair Dryer, One roll of clear 3M packing Tape, One can of rubber cement(optional).

Heat the circle clear sticker with hair dryer, remove sticker gently with razor blade open Xbox.

Take note of exactly how everything is packed then harvest what you need repacking old pieces exact.

Remove Xbox console from bag gently remove clear scratch protection decal on top.

Have old f-ed up Xbox ready, turn over remove Serial# decal gently with razor blade. Repeat with new Xbox. Swap stickers.

Take old Xbox apply scratch protection decal, shrink back on with hair dryer, put back in bag and reseat in foam. Repack box exact.

Close back box, reapply round clear sticker to open tab.(It also works better to dab some rubber cement on before, and dry with hair dryer.)

Return to Wal-Mart.

*Note this is for educational purpose only. I have never done this*

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Man, people have some messed up ways of trying to cheat companies.

I mean, I hate large companies as much as the next guy, but I'm not willing to be a cheat to get what I want.

Originally, the $20 wasn't going to be worth dealing with a new system. Now that the price has gone up, you may have a point.

But I'm not going that route. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 05:01 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Zero clue on if/when they'll be on live.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any clue on when you will be on live? /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I need to add you to my list in Halo 2, but I remember seeing on bungie.net that you haven't played in a while.

stabn
01-27-2005, 05:06 PM
WoW = no stabn on xbox live. No current plans to sign into xbox live any time soon.

stabn
01-27-2005, 05:07 PM
Damn, and i thought i was an [censored]. You're a piece of work dude.

AngryCola
01-27-2005, 05:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
WoW = no stabn on xbox live. No current plans to sign into xbox live any time soon.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's messed up! You should at least spare some gaming time for a match or two every once in a while.
You know, mix things up a bit!

stabn
01-27-2005, 05:12 PM
[ QUOTE ]

That's messed up! You should at least spare some gaming time for a match or two every once in a while.

[/ QUOTE ]

I might consider that after i get around to clearing a certain party reload bonus that's been sitting at about 1000 out of 1400 hands for the last couple of days. I still have my old AOM/AOM:TT clan wanting me to play aom every night as well (which, i do about once every two months for them). Not that much time for halo 2.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 05:23 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]Stabn is a bitch, its that simple.

stabn
01-27-2005, 05:32 PM
I played for a while...

Edit: Yah, i am a bitch though. Shrug.

ThaSaltCracka
01-27-2005, 05:34 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I played for a while...

Edit: Yah, i am a bitch though. Shrug.

[/ QUOTE ]dude, you played for like 3 weeks.

stabn
01-27-2005, 05:39 PM
That's a while in game-years.

AngryCola
02-01-2005, 01:07 AM
My new drive arrived sooner than expected.
It's all installed and working like a charm!

Man, this thing is so much faster than stock xbox drives.

You guys know how good Halo 2 is with loading times, yes?
Well there is still that one loading screen when you first pop in the game (before the main menu).

With the new drive, it doesn't even get a chance to put that loading screen on the TV. It's literally that fast.

This is great. No more dirty disc errors, and incredible performance /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm quite happy.

Shajen
02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My new drive arrived sooner than expected.
It's all installed and working like a charm!

Man, this thing is so much faster than stock xbox drives.

You guys know how good Halo 2 is with loading times, yes?
Well there is still that one loading screen when you first pop in the game (before the main menu).

With the new drive, it doesn't even get a chance to put that loading screen on the TV. It's literally that fast.

This is great. No more dirty disc errors, and incredible performance /images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm quite happy.

[/ QUOTE ]

So this is your last post as AngryCola? When can we expect to hear from EcstaticPop?

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cool man. Tweaking game systems sometimes doesn't work out worth a damn. Glad this time it did.