PDA

View Full Version : calling an all in w/ AKs

slickterp
01-26-2005, 04:22 PM
is it ever too early to do this? a couple of times today i made about a 6x raise and was reraised all in. once i won, once i didn't. after the loss, i remembered sklansky's advice to stay out of small +EV battles early, but does this really apply to SnG's due to the short length?

stillnotking
01-26-2005, 04:37 PM
[ QUOTE ]
is it ever too early to do this? a couple of times today i made about a 6x raise and was reraised all in. once i won, once i didn't. after the loss, i remembered sklansky's advice to stay out of small +EV battles early, but does this really apply to SnG's due to the short length?

[/ QUOTE ]

On Party, I typically will not call an all-in reraise with AKs in Level I or Level II, unless: a) one of us is shortstacked, or b) the villain has made this move before.

slickterp
01-26-2005, 05:59 PM
good point. i was kind of in a run where i was getting the cards, so i went for it, but it reminded me that this is not a great play.

slydeni
01-26-2005, 06:05 PM
yeah i think sklansky's idea pertains here. BUT THERE IS ONE PART YOU LEFT OUT. If you think you are one of the better players in the tourney -- avoid gambles early. Why risk lotsa chips early on potential top pair hand, when you can get em in the long run? Yer prolly a good player, so I would hold off on losing all my chips early.

Remember this: If they are willing to go broke more often than you are early in the tournament - then you will last longer than them over time.

survive...survive...survive /images/graemlins/smile.gif

sly