PDA

View Full Version : opinions sought on AJ and KQ

jbright
01-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Long time reader, first time poster at these forums. I'd like to hear some thoughts from experienced NL players on preflop play with the notorious trap hands AJ and KQ.

As I see it, there are both advantages and disadvantages to raising these guys from various positions vs limping or folding. If anyone is inspired, I'd love to hear answers to the following questions when you're holding AJ, AJs, KQ, and KQs respectively. Obviously it depends on the table, but let's assume an average full 1/2 nl table with no strong reads.

What do you do with each of these hands (raise, limp, fold) when:

1) first in, from EP
2) first in, from MP
3) after 1-2 limpers, from MP
4) first in, from LP
5) after limpers, from LP
6) after standard raise, from LP or blinds
7) from blinds, after limpers, unraised pot
8) defending blinds, against 3-4x raise from CU or button
9) after limping EP or MP, against standard raise

i know this is a lot... partial answers also welcome
thx,
jbright

Shaun
01-26-2005, 04:41 PM
1. Limp
2. Limp
3. Raise
4. Limp
5. Limp some, raise some
6. FOLD the offsuits, call with suited if figures to be multiway pot (note- must be able to get away from top pair)
7. Check os, maybe make pot building raise with suited
8. Depends. Against tight opponent fold, against maniac call/raise depending how tilted he has me, against average probably fold offsuits, call suiteds but be prepared to drop top pair if getting much heat.
9. Fold offsuits, call suiteds but again, be prepared to let go pairs- you want straights and flushes or top two pair type hands.

Note: I might raise suited KQ or suited AJ from any position if the game is getting a lot of mutiway pots (loose passive). Again though, you want to make huge hands with these,and not get crazy with top pair.

jbright
01-27-2005, 09:59 AM
thanks for the response.

isn't it somewhat unconventional thinking to choose to limp first in, but raise after other limpers? I thought people generally favor raising first in if possible, but being more inclined to limp after other limpers. Also, don't you think AJ and KQ are good blind-stealing hands first in from late position? You probably have the best hand, but not strong enough that you want the blinds to see a free flop.

As for calling raises with AJ and KQ, I agree it seems calling a small raise when suited, folding when not makes sense. After a raise, you're really playing these hands for two pair, straight, and flush value rather than top pair, so having them suited adds just enough to the hand to call a small raise (but be ready to drop with just a pair, except maybe hitting the J with AJ).

these hands I find really tricky in no limit. On the one hand if you limp in and no-one raises preflop you can be pretty sure you have the best kicker if you hit your pair (someone with AK or AQ would almost always raise). But then you're letting limpers and blinds see the flop and they can hit garbage two-pair, trips, straight etc and take a big pot from your TPTK. But if you raise and get flat callers, you can get trapped by a good player w/ AQ, AK, or high PP.

I bet these hands end up breaking even for a lot of players, winning some good pots and losing others. I'm guessing learning to really play them really well would add a lot to anyone's overall winnings.

AncientPC
01-27-2005, 01:00 PM
1) limp
2) limp
3) limp, maybe raise
4) raise
5) raise
6) fold, limp if in LP and we're both deep stacked
7) limp
8) player dependent
9) fold