PDA

View Full Version : One Of The Biggest Mistakes I See

Rushmore
01-26-2005, 11:40 AM
...again and again is short-stack play.

I see people start pushing WAY before they need to. They seem to forget that it's not how long the torunament's been running, but how many big blinds they have remaining, where the blinds are, where's the next ladder increment, how's the table playing, etc.

I see this taken to the extreme, especially at the final two tables after a payout level has just been reached. They seem to relax because they "made their goal," and just push at the first face card they see because they feel like they're freerolling.

Obviously, you can't sit and just get blinded away, but there's got to be some rationale, right?

SossMan
01-26-2005, 12:29 PM
i agree rush.

but, another one of the biggest mistakes I see towards the end of tourneys is people folding waaaay too much. there's a reason that you rarely see daniel n. and gus hansen eeek into a final table. They are usually the chip leader when they get there because they have been able to take advantage of weak tight players looking to move up the ladder.
I am continually amazed at what some players fold to my obvious blind steal at the two table stage just trying to make the final table.

Rushmore
01-26-2005, 12:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
but, another one of the biggest mistakes I see towards the end of tourneys is people folding waaaay too much. there's a reason that you rarely see daniel n. and gus hansen eeek into a final table. They are usually the chip leader when they get there because they have been able to take advantage of weak tight players looking to move up the ladder.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, of course, but much more understandable if the ladder dictates, etc. I have folded AQ plenty of times to ostensible steal raises when the money matters to me (and the overall situation dictates) and I'm close to the next step up.

[ QUOTE ]
I am continually amazed at what some players fold to my obvious blind steal at the two table stage just trying to make the final table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Clearly, there are plenty of chips to be had here. But, just like my original post, I see people get very carried away here, as well. They will risk 25% of their stack for a potential 5-10% increase with a 60-70% chance of success, which is terrible play against many players.