PDA

View Full Version : Rebuy and Addon Tourneys

Tessai
01-26-2005, 11:19 AM
Hello,

if I want to play a rebuy and addon tourney with just one addon what should be my strategy changes?

And when should I addon with a small middle or big stake?

these questions come from my tiny experience of r&a tourneys I recognised, that (in the rebuy phase) I folded nearby always the best hand, because 2-4 people got allin with pure junk, just to be wasting another rebuy.

thanks for your thoughts

housenuts
01-26-2005, 06:38 PM
if you're not willing to gamble early don't play rebuy tourneys. you have to be willing to put in at least 3-4 rebuys. i will go all-in early with AJ+, lots of pocket pairs, and stuff. this is a must, otherwise you just won't have enough chips at the end of the rebuy phase.

as for the add-on you should almost always do it. unless you have a massive chipstack you should be doing the addon.

hurlyburly
01-26-2005, 06:51 PM
I have a different strategy. I take the initial rebuy and plan on taking the add-on at the break for a 3x buyin total. I play my normal game with a bit broader gap (using previous showdowns as a guide) and let the rest of the field contribute to the overlay. Then it's just a matter of waiting out the rebuy period for the regular tournament to start. For some reason people seem to forget they can't rebuy anymore and 1/2 the people are gone in the 2nd hour.

I also find that I fold the best hand sometimes, but I'm more likely to double up on the hands where I know I'm ahead to offset those misses.

Watch the leaderboard and you'll notice that after the second hour, the top 30 will have only a handful of the same folks that were there after the first hour, so how you play that first hour doesn't greatly impact the rest of the tournament.

KingMedicine
01-26-2005, 07:35 PM
i've just begun playing rebuys as well and would very much like to hear other strategies/thoughts on them.

so far, ive tended to play the 'push push push' in the first hour game, but now im not so sure this is the way to go. anyone else play and do well in these tourneys?

KingMedicine
01-27-2005, 02:40 PM
bump

BUCKS COUNTY, PA
01-27-2005, 03:12 PM
During the rebuy period play tends to be wild and crazy.

The way I see it you have 2 choices: (1) play very aggressive and build a big stack no matter what it takes and hopefully use that big stack to many in the $ finishes or (2) plan to play many many events with a minimal investment per event and accept that when you make the $ your profits will be larger but it will happen very infrequently. Just my opinion on the topic.

KingMedicine
01-27-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
During the rebuy period play tends to be wild and crazy.

The way I see it you have 2 choices: (1) play very aggressive and build a big stack no matter what it takes and hopefully use that big stack to many in the $ finishes or (2) plan to play many many events with a minimal investment per event and accept that when you make the $ your profits will be larger but it will happen very infrequently. Just my opinion on the topic.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats a good way to think about it:
a) spend lots of $ in fewer tourneys -- or --
b) spend less money in a lot of tourneys.

of course, the bigger payouts are in part a, but the variance would be pretty high.

the reason i am curious about this is that at stars theyre doing the rebuys for the EPT events (france, vienna, monte carlo) and im trying to figure out how i should approach them properly.

Since theyre satellites and only the top 1-5 spots get the prize, i would assume that would mean that it would be a good idea to play the crazy game early and build a monster stack and try to dominate with it from start to finish. but, to be honest, i feel so dirty doing that. it makes me gag to push AJs early on when the blinds are 25/50 and the stacks are deep. but i guess, in this situation (rebuy tourneys as satellites), this is the right play most of the time.

BUCKS COUNTY, PA
01-27-2005, 03:24 PM
I tend to think that in a super satellite playing super aggressive isn't a good idea because 1st place and 5th place pay exactly the same (or however many seats there are). That strategy tends to make more sense when there is a great disparity in every spot you move up at the final table.

schwza
01-27-2005, 04:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I have a different strategy. I take the initial rebuy and plan on taking the add-on at the break for a 3x buyin total. I play my normal game with a bit broader gap (using previous showdowns as a guide) and let the rest of the field contribute to the overlay. Then it's just a matter of waiting out the rebuy period for the regular tournament to start. For some reason people seem to forget they can't rebuy anymore and 1/2 the people are gone in the 2nd hour.

I also find that I fold the best hand sometimes, but I'm more likely to double up on the hands where I know I'm ahead to offset those misses.

Watch the leaderboard and you'll notice that after the second hour, the top 30 will have only a handful of the same folks that were there after the first hour, so how you play that first hour doesn't greatly impact the rest of the tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]

this describes my tourney strat pretty well too.

mcteecho
01-27-2005, 08:02 PM
Jennicide does well at small buy-in re-buys - it would be interesting to hear her general strategy.