PDA

View Full Version : Please yell at me, I need it.

djoyce003
01-26-2005, 10:35 AM
I'm fairly certain I made an atrocious laydown here and i need to be reprimanded. The only thing I can say in my defense is that i'm new to no-limit and I just don't know what to do when someone massively overbets the pot. I think i'm generally way ahead or way behind, and I was confused. I thought for the full 20 and finally folded, he played the hand similar to how I might play AA, but I know that's giving him way to much credit here. Can someone give me the standard line when someone massively overbets the pots and you aren't holding the stone-cold nuts?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

UTG ($50)
MP ($378.65)
CO ($97.7)
Button ($83.4)
Hero ($288)
BB ($318.8)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 9/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif. UTG posts a blind of $2. Hero posts a blind of $1.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG (poster) raises to $2</font>, MP calls $4, CO folds, Button folds, Hero (poster) calls $3, BB calls $2.

Flop: ($16) 8/images/graemlins/club.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif, 9/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $6</font>, BB folds, UTG folds, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $25</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $44</font>, MP raises to ~400 and is all in, Hero folds.

Final Pot: $85

zaxx19
01-26-2005, 10:44 AM
You need to take up LHE if you lay this here......

Obviously your not suited for NLH play.

Seriously though, you need to drop limits or give up on No Limit, if you cant go to the felt with a flopped set on a board like this. You just cant play correctly at the limits you were playing bc This is a perfect situation for you.

ohkanada
01-26-2005, 11:26 AM
I am not laying down middle set based on this action. If he slowplayed AA pre-flop then so be it.

Ken

djoyce003
01-26-2005, 11:35 AM
Yeah....what is the standard when you are holding a really strong hand, but someone bets 3-4x the total size of the pot? Granted i'll never do this again because i've been regretting it all night, but do you just go ahead and grit your teeth and call her, or what?

Iamafish
01-26-2005, 11:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I am not laying down middle set based on this action. If he slowplayed AA pre-flop then so be it.

Ken

[/ QUOTE ]

....good attitude.

Here is where tells come in big.

He could have been trying to steal that pot or trying to hit a flush. That would be hard for me.

He could be trying to slow play AA until hes fairly sure he can get all in.

Is that $2/4 NL? Um...you should go down.

djoyce003
01-26-2005, 11:43 AM
no it's 1/2, i'd built a pretty nice stack by just playing tight.

Iamafish
01-26-2005, 11:48 AM
Cool, as long as your doing ok.

You should try droping to .50/1 to get more expirence with NL since you said your new. Play some of both, and you'll soon shift up.

djoyce003
01-26-2005, 11:51 AM
Yeah, i'm winning, in fact i'm winning at a rate that is unsustainable over a very small sample size. However, i've found that I can often times get all in with the nuts, which is what influenced me here I guess...part of it was wanting to protect what i'd won, and me figuring that i'd get this guy when I was holding the nuts. I think you are right however, and I will try my hand at some of the smaller limits.

Iamafish
01-26-2005, 11:57 AM
I i know exactly what you mean about protecting what you won.

I lost around $400 last night in blackjack, so I dropped my limit.

I was up 100, and was like ya ya ya....then I read on the site it says its a two deck thats shuffled after each hand....it went down from there.

C'mon Im only 18. /images/graemlins/smirk.gif It was a good expirence though, and I learned from it.

zaxx19
01-26-2005, 11:57 AM

Im curious what the action would have to be in order for you to drop 999 here. It better be EXTRAORDINARY like you have played with his guy your entire life....he reraised significantly preflop or gave of a very specific tell...and he has a tendancy to always overaise with absolute nuts and waste amazing hands on scary flops.

IM NOT DROPPING 99 HERE PROBABLY EVER. maybe .1% of the time and I feel bad for even admitting that to myself.

Its probably 15X as likely the guy has AK A9 A8 88 OR 2 CLUBS THAN HE HAS AA in this pot. If he has AA here so be it I never regret going to the felt with an underset flopped to both players...if you do I really think 1) you are playing at too high a limits or 2) you psyche is not suited for online NLHE.

amoeba
01-26-2005, 11:59 AM
yes you grit your teeth and call her. how do you know she doesn't have 88? Certainly seems more plausible based on preflop actions.

if the board was 3 flush or if it came 9TJ, I can understand a laydown at these deep stacks.

djoyce003
01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
my psyche is fine....i've gone to the felt before with sets...I was for whatever reason picking up a super strong vibe here, I know it's probably looking for monsters under the covers, but that's just how I felt on this particular hand. I acknowledge it was a terrible laydown, but i'm going to stick to no-limit as i'm winning a considerable amount at it.

Iamafish
01-26-2005, 12:05 PM
[ QUOTE ]

Its probably 15X as likely the guy has AK A9 A8 88 OR 2 CLUBS THAN HE HAS AA in this pot. If he has AA here so be it I never regret going to the felt with an underset flopped to both players...if you do I really think 1) you are playing at too high a limits or 2) you psyche is not suited for online NLHE.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hes exactly right with those hands.

This just like opened up my eyes and I realized I was thinking more about the money than the actuall hand. If this happens to you, move down.

If I had more money, I would probably think about this less, becuase what happens is I think, man 400....thats a lot to loose.

ohkanada
01-26-2005, 12:06 PM
I have played against Rocks who based on pre-flop action and then action on the flop that you know they have AA. So yeah it is fairly rare that I would muck, but it could happen. I can't remember ever doing it but I am sure I wish I had. I don't think you need to play with someone your entire life to understand how he plays.

Ken

Digs
01-26-2005, 12:31 PM
[ QUOTE ]
yes you grit your teeth and call her.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm doing a dance and calling /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Snag
01-26-2005, 01:18 PM
Oh God. Please don't ever fold here.

My eyes hurt.

Homer315
01-26-2005, 01:35 PM
Every time you fold this, God kills a puppy.

cardtarget
01-26-2005, 01:40 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Every time you fold this, God kills a puppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just spit coke on my monitor. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

rickr
01-26-2005, 02:35 PM
In situations like this, stop and think a second. If the preflop play does not match the post flop action, don't fold. What hands have you beat? AA. He didn't indicate AA preflop. He has probably got Ax, either with clubs for the draw or is afraid of the draw. Who in there right mind would play AA this way. Don't grit your teeth. Call with a smile on your face, and if he draws out on you, so be it. You are ahead 99.9% of the time in this hand. I would definitely recommend moving down limits if the idea of losing your stack on this hand is influencing how you play.

Later,
Rick

Richie Rich
01-26-2005, 05:42 PM
Even if your opponent had J /images/graemlins/club.gif10 /images/graemlins/club.gif, you're still a 3-2 favorite to win this hand. Against any other hand, other than AA, you're an even bigger favorite. You HAVE to make this call.

If you feel uncomfortable putting this much money on the line (despite the fact that you were a favorite), then I strongly (and seriously) recommend you move down in limits.