PDA

View Full Version : 3bet AQ preflop

TheCaptain
01-26-2005, 04:11 AM
In an effort to be cool and aggresive like you guys I overplayed the hand. Even calling the turn raise with my 7 outs, although I probably was drawing dead or to just four.

Opponent was tight-weak and his preflop raise should have been respected.

My old line would have been coldcalling the raise and putting 1 sb to see the turn, 2 if I was checkraised, and then folding the turn unimproved or checking behind to get a free river card.

Party Poker 5/10 Hold'em (6 max, 5 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Captain is Button with Q/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, A/images/graemlins/club.gif.
<font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, MP folds, <font color="#CC3333">Captain 3-bets</font>, SB folds, BB calls, UTG calls.

Flop: (9.40 SB) J/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 5/images/graemlins/spade.gif, K/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Captain bets</font>, BB folds, UTG calls.

Turn: (5.70 BB) J/images/graemlins/spade.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">Captain bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG raises</font>, Captain calls.

River: (9.70 BB) 6/images/graemlins/diamond.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG bets</font>, Captain folds.

Final Pot: 10.70 BB

TheCaptain
01-26-2005, 12:26 PM
5-handed 5/10 Limit

Captain is in big blind, UTG is tight-passive

PRE-FLOP
UTG raises, 1 fold, Captain 3-bets, 1 fold, UTG calls.

FLOP [board cards 10S,KH,3H ]
Captain bets, UTG raises, Captain calls.

TURN [board cards 10S,KH,3H,AS ]
Captain checks, UTG bets, Captain calls.

RIVER [board cards 10S,KH,3H,AS,AD ]
Captain checks, UTG bets, Captain calls.

rory
01-26-2005, 12:28 PM
You played fine until the turn-- check the turn.

TheCaptain
01-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Thank you, I overplayed the turn thinking I had a good number of outs, in the second hand I hit 2 aces but still 2nd best

MAxx
01-26-2005, 02:35 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Opponent was tight-weak and his preflop raise should have been respected.

[/ QUOTE ] .... [ QUOTE ]
My old line would have been coldcalling the raise

[/ QUOTE ]

If you believe this to be the case... fold preflop, don't coldcall. If you do not believe this to be the case... 3bet preflop. This is not a coldcalling hand, bro.

What would make you believe you should fold AQo preflop, you may ask? Answer: the average range of hands the preflop raiser would raise is = to or better than AQo (all else equal). For the avg 5/10sher, this is not the case and you therefore 3bet AGo religiously.

Against a tighty pfrer who would only raise AA, KK, QQ, JJ, AK, and AQ... then no you do not wanna 3 bet or colcall his pf raise with AQ... you wanna sit on the sidelines.

Alobar
01-26-2005, 02:48 PM
dont cold call this PF.....EVER. You cant come up with one situation where I would agree cold calling AQo PF is a good play.

The three bet is tits. Keep doing it.

Check behind on the turn, you want that free card. The board is such that hes prolly at least calling, because if he didnt hit, he has some sort of gutshot or something. A underpair would have folded the flop unless he plans on calling you down with it.

Lmn55d
01-26-2005, 03:19 PM
do you call a river bet after checking the turn?

Alobar
01-26-2005, 03:20 PM
[ QUOTE ]
do you call a river bet after checking the turn?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, because if I checked the turn, its because I dont intend to call a river bet. So I fold the river here

rory
01-26-2005, 03:25 PM
What's wrong with cold calling with AQ on the button?

Alobar
01-26-2005, 05:43 PM
[ QUOTE ]
What's wrong with cold calling with AQ on the button?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want to? You arent doing anything but letting the blinds in with a hand you would rather play with as few people as you can. You also make it a billion times easier to steal the pot with a flop bet after 3 betting when the original PFR misses the flop