PDA

View Full Version : What the hell am I doing?

donger
01-26-2005, 03:33 AM
This felt like some serious malpractice on my part. Should I just bet the turn and fold to aggression or take the free showdown if called? No read on BB.

-- donger
Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (10 handed) converter (http://www.selachian.com/tools/bisonconverter/hhconverter.cgi)

Preflop: Hero is Button with 7/images/graemlins/club.gif, 7/images/graemlins/spade.gif.
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (3.33 SB) 4/images/graemlins/diamond.gif, 4/images/graemlins/spade.gif, Q/images/graemlins/club.gif <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+2 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB calls, UTG+2 folds.

Turn: (2.66 BB) 9/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

River: (2.66 BB) T/images/graemlins/heart.gif <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 4.66 BB

bisonbison
01-26-2005, 03:35 AM
I would bet the turn unless I didn't feel I could fold to a raise, but honestly, you should be able to fold to a raise without a read.

Protect what may be the best hand.

arkady
01-26-2005, 03:36 AM
Your play is of someone gripped by uncertainty and fear.

Also raise PF you got the best hand most of the time and its a great opportunity to isolate. In your case you need to bet the turn otherwise the river decision is too damn hard. Yes fold to turn raise (notice you are "spending" the same amount)

donger
01-26-2005, 03:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Your play is of someone gripped by uncertainty and fear.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I screwed this up pretty good.

Ok, so sans read, what if he check-calls the turn then bets the river? My inclination is to fold there, but the passivity and weirdness of it might just induce a call.

arkady
01-26-2005, 03:43 AM
If he pulls that stop n go BS on the river you are in serious trouble, with out any read you are forced to fold. In fact check-call turn, lead river begins to smell like trip 4s.

donger
01-26-2005, 03:55 AM
Why would someone play a hand like that? I know it's possible, and I agree it would look like trip 4s. Stop n go just baffles me sometimes. For instance, in this hand, it just ensures that you only get one bet on each street.

arkady
01-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Why? Plenty of reasons, against good players this is a great line. For instance lets say you bet the turn (like you should) and he raises, well not only is he giving away the strength of his hand, but most likely you will fold. If he just smooth calls and pulls the stop n go you might pay off 1 extra bet. But thats where this game gets complicated because you start to doubt these turn raises since they are so often bluff based, etc, etc. So I cant tell you that you should ALWAYS fold to a turn raise or always fold to the stop n go, but thats why you need to pay attention. Its often easier to take control of the hand and be in charge, you start with the pre flop raise and lead flop/turn. Something like that.

donger
01-26-2005, 02:59 PM
Yeah, you're right. I'm used to tailoring my strategies to loose/bad opponents, where missing a bet or raise for the sake of deception is ridiculous. Against a tight opponent, though, you probably would make more by playing it like that than by CRing the turn. This is especially true against a medium strength hand.