PDA

View Full Version : Quick Patriots question

BottlesOf
01-26-2005, 02:59 AM
Is there anyone on the boards who think they might hate the Patriots more than me?

UncleRemus
01-26-2005, 03:07 AM
Not bashing your opinion, but out of curiousity... why?

The Patriots represent what teams should be...teams. In two weeks, I'm sure we'll see for the third time, the New England Patriots being introduced as one at the Superbowl. The team lacks standout superstars, headcases, and excessive showboating, and still are one of (if not THE) greatest teams in the NFL. How can you hate that?

Now I'll admit, I'm from New England. But if you said you hated the Celtics, Red Sox, or Bruins, I wouldn't think much of it. I just don't understand how anyone can really "hate" this Patriot team.

Richard Tanner
01-26-2005, 03:15 AM
I hate the Pats, but then I'm a Colts fan, so it should be obvious. But at the same time, my respect for them is very high. Just goes to show the difference between the two feelings I guess.

Cody

Greenthumb
01-26-2005, 03:15 AM
everybody hates the team that will poop all over there team /images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Edge34
01-26-2005, 03:17 AM
The same way people hate the Yankees. It doesn't have to be for a real reason, and in my case, its not "because they win too damn much" either. Something about them just bothers me - a lot. Sure, they're a team, and maybe its all the hype surrounding them that makes me hate them that much more.

Or it could be the fact that of the two AFC teams I was born loving, both have major problems with the boys form New England....you know, the Raiders and Colts.

I think, however, that I probably hate them as much as is humanly possible. Watching them lose just makes me happy - that MNF game was probably my favorite ever (not to mention, I won a few bucks when I picked the 'Fins /images/graemlins/cool.gif)

BottlesOf
01-26-2005, 03:17 AM
There are so many reasons, including but not limited to:

A) They are very good.
B) I'm a Jets fan
C) I went to school in New England and had to constantly deal with Patriots fans.
D) Their players routinely [censored] me in Fantasy leagues
E) I have two friends from Boston, living in New York and they give me a lot of [censored].
F) The constant Patriot knobslobbing by the media and in popular discourse makes me sick.

UncleRemus
01-26-2005, 03:22 AM
Hehe alright alright, fair enough. If it's any consolation, I do think a lot of people share your disdain for the team. Their something like 25-4-3 against the spread in their last 32. Gotta have a lot of the public going rooting for you to fail to put up numbers like that over so many games.

UncleRemus
01-26-2005, 03:24 AM
Hehe, I like to mask my hate for the Yankees with the excuse that they just buy their championships. The Yankees fans are really fighting back now, though, what with how much the Red Sox payroll is. At least it's still only something like 2/3 of what the Yankees will spend after the luxary tax. If only the MLB had a cap like the NFL...

daryn
01-26-2005, 04:01 AM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />

A) They are very good.
B) I'm a Jets fan
C) I went to school in New England and had to constantly deal with Patriots fans.
E) I have two friends from Boston, living in New York and they give me a lot of [censored].
F) The constant Patriot knobslobbing by the media and in popular discourse makes me sick.

[/ QUOTE ]

wow! patriot knobslobbing? you must be joking! everyone in the media was dying for indy to win, and even picked the colts. it was just all peyton peyton peyton. then when they got killed, people started giving the patriots respect... but whoa, then it all went out the window somehow! all of a sudden all you started to hear was how the steelers were gonna win!

the patriots are all class. like another guy said, if you wanna say you hate the bruins, hate some players on the red sox, that is understandable, but the pats are different.

NLSoldier
01-26-2005, 04:27 AM
I hate them because of the fact that Brady gets WAY too much credit for their succss. I think he is one of the most overrated players ever. So I guess I don't really hate the Patriots, I just hate Brady.

Greenthumb
01-26-2005, 04:40 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I hate them because of the fact that Brady gets WAY too much credit for their succss. I think he is one of the most overrated players ever. So I guess I don't really hate the Patriots, I just hate Brady.

[/ QUOTE ]
the best thing that ever happened to our NE patriots was drew bledsoe getting injured. brady came in and made the play when it mattered as well as when it didnt. he runs the best team in the league,period.

Toro
01-26-2005, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quarterbacks all get too much credit or too much blame for how their team fares so I don't know how you can single out Brady for hate. Imo astute fans really don't give him "too" much credit anyway.

And the guy conducts himself as a true professional, is very very humble, gives his teammates all the credit, works his butt off to get better as he's the first one in the weight room in the off season and never misses a session. Bledsoe while also humble never worked hard during the off season to improve himself.

Doesn't add up that you hate Brady.

scrub
01-26-2005, 09:35 AM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Quarterbacks all get too much credit or too much blame for how their team fares so I don't know how you can single out Brady for hate. Imo astute fans really don't give him "too" much credit anyway.

And the guy conducts himself as a true professional, is very very humble, gives his teammates all the credit, works his butt off to get better as he's the first one in the weight room in the off season and never misses a session. Bledsoe while also humble never worked hard during the off season to improve himself.

Doesn't add up that you hate Brady.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's just jealous that Chad has to loft a pass to the flat...

scrub

NoChance
01-26-2005, 10:41 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Is there anyone on the boards who think they might hate the Patriots more than me?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I might hate them more than you do. In fact, I think most Steeler fans probably do after getting knocked off twice by them in the AFC championship game.

Take this as you will but, when they won their first Super Bowl they were aided by the tuck rule. When they won last year, they were aided by the fact the NFL refused to call penalties on their defensive backs. I really believe if they win it this year, this will be their biggest and best accomplishment. I feel they have not been aided in any way and also they have had to overcome numerous injuries. This is by far the most impressive season in my opinion. There is nothing people can complain about like previous years.

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed.

IndieMatty
01-26-2005, 10:59 AM
Doubtful, I reserve my ire for the Dolphins.

2planka
01-26-2005, 11:14 AM
Bledsoe's problems are not related to physical conditioning. He's a moron. I can see Vick following in his footsteps.

kenberman
01-26-2005, 11:23 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Take this as you will but, when they won their first Super Bowl they were aided by the tuck rule.

[/ QUOTE ]

if you remember that game, Oakland had about 5 separate chances to clinch the game, and couldn't the job done. Brady leads a drive down the field, in a blizzard, then Vinatieri kicks a field goal in a foot of snow, and what you think about is ONE call an official made? I'm sure I could go back and find one bad call in Oaklands favor that game.

Also, is the Tuck rule how they won at Pittsburgh? Beat a 14 point favorite Rams team? degrading their accomplish by talking about the Tuck Rule is ridiculous and smacks of jealously. EVERY team that wins a championship gets breaks along the way.

[ QUOTE ]
When they won last year, they were aided by the fact the NFL refused to call penalties on their defensive backs.

[/ QUOTE ]

But wait, didn't they change the rules this year? And in a replay of the game last eyar, didn't they shut down Indy even more efffectively? What excuse do you give Indy now? There weren't enough heaters on the sidelines?

Also, is that how they beat Tennessee in 4 degree temperatures in a slugfest at Foxboro? gave up 29 points to Carolina (mostly through the air), but managed to simply outscore them? ridicoulous.

[ QUOTE ]
I feel they have not been aided in any way and also they have had to overcome numerous injuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

last year they had a ton of injuries -as they have had this year. nobody ever seems to mentions this.

Shajen
01-26-2005, 11:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Bledsoe's problems are not related to physical conditioning. He's a moron. I can see Vick following in his footsteps.

[/ QUOTE ]

?????

Toro
01-26-2005, 12:00 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Take this as you will but, when they won their first Super Bowl they were aided by the tuck rule. When they won last year, they were aided by the fact the NFL refused to call penalties on their defensive backs.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. Have a little cheese with your whine.

Toro
01-26-2005, 12:03 PM
[ QUOTE ]
last year they had a ton of injuries -as they have had this year. nobody ever seems to mentions this.

[/ QUOTE ]

Great point. Last year, statistically they lead the league in games lost to injuries from their starters.

nolanfan34
01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

A) They are very good.
B) I'm a Jets fan

[/ QUOTE ]

wow! patriot knobslobbing? you must be joking! everyone in the media was dying for indy to win, and even picked the colts. it was just all peyton peyton peyton. then when they got killed, people started giving the patriots respect... but whoa, then it all went out the window somehow! all of a sudden all you started to hear was how the steelers were gonna win!

the patriots are all class. like another guy said, if you wanna say you hate the bruins, hate some players on the red sox, that is understandable, but the pats are different.

[/ QUOTE ]

daryn is right.

I like the Pats, although I have no affiliation to them. They play good football, and that's fun to watch. Hell of a lot better than watching the Seahawks bumble around.

BottlesOf
01-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Class? Enh., I guess. They haven't done anythign particularly "classy" in my eyes. Just refrained from making a spectacle of themselves, so they haven't done anything "not classy."

As for knobslobbing give me a break. Everyone is talking about Dynasty, and the streak and how Brady is the second coming. Yes, for ONE WEEK, they were all over the Colts, and Manning has had knobslobbing for the whole season, but people are constantly all over the Pats. (Perhaps the Colts until that game too, but since I kinda like the Colts, that doesn't bother me)

PhatTBoll
01-26-2005, 02:04 PM
I really think I do

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Take this as you will but, when they won their first Super Bowl they were aided by the tuck rule. When they won last year, they were aided by the fact the NFL refused to call penalties on their defensive backs.

[/ QUOTE ]

OMG. Have a little cheese with your whine.

[/ QUOTE ]I agree completely absurd bitching.

I actually use to really like the Pats when Bledsoe was the QB but when he was succeeded by Brady I sort of lost intrest. I can say that I don't hate the Pats, but rather I am annoyed by the recent stretch of success.

That being said, I am quietly rooting for them in the otherwise uninteresesting SB.

BottlesOf
01-26-2005, 02:09 PM
[ QUOTE ]
in the otherwise uninteresesting SB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Is this how the SB is perceived by those not in the Northeast?

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 02:13 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]probably not, although I have spoken to more than a few people who say this one will be boring. I mean, lets be honest a lot of people watch the Superbowl for the commercials and the overall festivalish feel that the game has. Do you really think 800 million people actually care that much about the Eagles and the Pats? the answer is no.

J.R.
01-26-2005, 02:25 PM
"Interesting" requires 800 million people to care that mush about something? The fact that most people don't give a damn about sports doesn't render this super bowl unintersting, does it? By that definition every super bowl is uniteresting, as is most everything. IMO this is far more compelling matchup than last years super bowl, although its doubtful the game will turn out to be as exciting.

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 02:30 PM
well yeah the matchup is better, I can't argue against that, but really, the SB has become a spectacle more so then a championship game.

PhatTBoll
01-26-2005, 02:33 PM
First of all, there are some annoying and classless players on the Pats. For instance, Rodney Harrison has been known as one of the dirtiest players in the league for some time. Bruschi also comes off as a smug prick in interviews. But none of them has raped or killed anybody lately so I guess as a group they are ok.

The main problem I have with the Pats is the fans as a whole. I would imagine that unless you are a Jets or Colts fan you don't really appreciate the sheer assholery of some of these people. It is pretty much impossible to post seriously on any Colts message board, because half the members on those boards are Pats fans trolling and being jerkoffs. It's one thing to go on a neutral board like this one and talk some smack, but it's entirely different to be an ass just for the sake of being an ass on another team's board. I'd say that Boston fans are becoming like Yankee fans, but it's too late, it's already happened. They are just as annoying and arrogant, even more so now that even the Red Sox have won.
Compound that with the ridiculous inferiority complex that many of them still have for some reason. This is what compels them to whine about their team being underrated or underappreciated. You are about to win your 3rd championship in 4 years! I can't think of any other fan base that whined so much while their team was kicking ass.

BottlesOf
01-26-2005, 02:38 PM
It's been like that for a while. If you like football, which I do, the fact that it's a spectacle doesn't take away from the fact that it's the championship football game.

BottlesOf
01-26-2005, 02:39 PM
Well said.

jdl22
01-26-2005, 02:39 PM
[ QUOTE ]
I actually use to really like the Pats when Bledsoe was the QB but when he was succeeded by Brady I sort of lost intrest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were a UDub guy.

ThaSaltCracka
01-26-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I actually use to really like the Pats when Bledsoe was the QB but when he was succeeded by Brady I sort of lost intrest.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought you were a UDub guy.

[/ QUOTE ]no, I hate the Huskies, I am indifferent torwards Wazzu.

DMBFan23
01-26-2005, 02:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, I don't think it'll be all that good.

and I hate the pats more than most people I know, but maybe not you.

come on guys, bill belichick is not the next einstein or the next hawking, so stop calling him such a damn genius all the time. he didnt't cure cancer, he didn't write Ulysses, he didn't invent the atomic bomb, he calls football plays people.

P.S. [censored] Brady.

Goodie54
01-26-2005, 02:47 PM
Is ANYONE as happy as I am to see a post like this? Finally, MY team is the one that is the most hated. After long suffering with this team. Living through the 1 and 15 seasons where I would have to gather around the radio with my Brother and Dad to listen to the game because we were in the blackout area. Living through Hugh Millen and Marion Butts and John Stephens and Tony Eason.

Reading this post is just one of the things that makes me so proud to finally be a fan of the best team in the NFL.

Does anyone LOVE this team as much as I do? I suspect not.

Peace

Goodie

daryn
01-26-2005, 04:05 PM
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
First of all, there are some annoying and classless players on the Pats. For instance, Rodney Harrison has been known as one of the dirtiest players in the league for some time. Bruschi also comes off as a smug prick in interviews. But none of them has raped or killed anybody lately so I guess as a group they are ok.

The main problem I have with the Pats is the fans as a whole. I would imagine that unless you are a Jets or Colts fan you don't really appreciate the sheer assholery of some of these people. It is pretty much impossible to post seriously on any Colts message board, because half the members on those boards are Pats fans trolling and being jerkoffs. It's one thing to go on a neutral board like this one and talk some smack, but it's entirely different to be an ass just for the sake of being an ass on another team's board. I'd say that Boston fans are becoming like Yankee fans, but it's too late, it's already happened. They are just as annoying and arrogant, even more so now that even the Red Sox have won.
Compound that with the ridiculous inferiority complex that many of them still have for some reason. This is what compels them to whine about their team being underrated or underappreciated. You are about to win your 3rd championship in 4 years! I can't think of any other fan base that whined so much while their team was kicking ass.

[/ QUOTE ]

who whined? i have no idea what you are talking about honestly. do guys like joe tall, toro, me, etc. whine?

also, i honestly cannot believe the brady hate. just look at the guy himself. everything toro said is correct. he's the most humble guy around, always gives full credit to his teammates, respects the other team and players constantly, and is just trying to better himself all the time. he never ever comes off as smug or arrogant.

jstnrgrs
01-26-2005, 09:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]
come on guys, bill belichick is not the next einstein or the next hawking, so stop calling him such a damn genius all the time. he didnt't cure cancer, he didn't write Ulysses, he didn't invent the atomic bomb, he calls football plays people.

[/ QUOTE ]

But he is the next Vince Lombardi.

fatmongo
01-26-2005, 09:21 PM
The NFL in a nutshell.
mp3 (http://mp3.thephoenix.com/mp3/MEAT331b_PATRIOTS.mp3) here.
Save As if you don't want to wait for it to open in browser.

Nick B.
01-26-2005, 09:30 PM
[ QUOTE ]

also, i honestly cannot believe the brady hate. just look at the guy himself. everything toro said is correct. he's the most humble guy around, always gives full credit to his teammates, respects the other team and players constantly, and is just trying to better himself all the time. he never ever comes off as smug or arrogant.

[/ QUOTE ]

It isn't him. The way the media and fans slobber all over his knob gets very annoying. The same way with Jeter in baseball. He acts nice, but it gets annoying having the fans and media tell you how great of a player he is, it just starts to make you hate him. It is nothing either of them can do about it.

daryn
01-26-2005, 09:34 PM
ok, i understand due to the jeter reference. however i don't see it at that point yet.

lastchance
01-26-2005, 09:47 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
You might be annoyed that no one's giving the Eagles, a team that's only one real loss all year, a chance. The Patriots have all been crowned the Champions.

The thing is, the Eagles don't really have a chance. I may be slobknobbing them, but they've beaten two really good teams convincingly in the Playoffs so far, while the Eagles were facing much weaker competition.

The Patriots are the best team in the league, and while the Eagles may overcome them one day, the Patriots will have to play much worse than they have been playing so far.

It comes down to this, IMHO. The Eagles are a very, very good team. The Patriots are a great one.

And I'm not from NE, but the Patriots have thoroughly impressed me the past two weeks. This team is much better than the '03 and '01 versions that actually won the Super Bowl, and I also think their competition is much harder than the years they won the Super Bowl.

NLSoldier
01-26-2005, 09:52 PM
[ QUOTE ]
he thing is, the Eagles don't really have a chance. I may be slobknobbing them, but they've beaten two really good teams convincingly in the Playoffs so far, while the Eagles were facing much weaker competition.

[/ QUOTE ]

How DARE you call the Vikings "much weaker competition"

lastchance
01-26-2005, 10:34 PM
How are the Vikings going to win? Through hugging and praying for mercy? Might work, cuz playing football is out of the question.

daryn
01-26-2005, 10:37 PM
oh snap.

BottlesOf
01-26-2005, 10:39 PM
It's not. I have no problems with Brady as a person, although I do kind of hate him b/c of him being at the helm of the Pats. Bellicheck on the other hand I really do respect and I think he's a great coach.

NLSoldier
01-26-2005, 10:41 PM
Dude, sarcasm detector check plz?

lastchance
01-26-2005, 10:49 PM
True. But, you're right, I made a post that was way too serious.

Toro
01-27-2005, 11:56 AM
For all you Patriot haters. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Peyton Manning, after living a full life, died. When he got to heaven, God was showing him around. They came to a modest little house with a faded Colts flag in the window. "This house is yours for eternity, Peyton," said God. "This is very special; not everyone gets a house up here."

Peyton felt special, indeed, and walked up to his house. On his way up the porch, he noticed another house just around the corner. It was a 3-story mansion with a blue and red sidewalk, a 50 foot tall flagpole with an enormous Patriots logo flag, and in every window, a Pat Patriot towel.

Peyton looked at God and said "God, I'm not trying to be ungrateful, but I have a question. I was an all-pro QB, five time MVP, I hold many NFL records, and I even went to the Hall of Fame."

God said "So what's your point Peyton?"

"Well, why does Tom Brady get a better house than me?"

God chuckled, and said "Peyton, that's not Tom's house, it's mine."

Shajen
01-27-2005, 01:30 PM
Toro,

we all know God's a Bears fan.

I mean, this is just plain ole common knowledge.

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

PhatTBoll
01-27-2005, 01:42 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he must either be a masochist or really bad at his job.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Shajen
01-27-2005, 01:59 PM
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Then he must either be a masochist or really bad at his job.

/images/graemlins/blush.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

BLASPHEMER!

/images/graemlins/grin.gif

DblDownTrent
01-27-2005, 02:08 PM
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. I'm a Carolina Panthers fan.

Richard Tanner
01-27-2005, 05:28 PM
No [censored], that's one of my biggest problems with them, the fans. They're a great team, as much as I hate to say it, but their fan base seems to be made up of more assholes then normal.

Cody

UncleRemus
01-27-2005, 05:42 PM
Alright, now don't get me wrong, most people up here are arseholes in general (I'm always amazed at how polite people are when I travel to thet midwest,) but the fans are top notch. We do take our sports quite seriously up here, but it's a major market. So many great moments in sports can be attributed to Boston Fans.

At the risk of getting slammed for bringing up the NHL, after the Montreal Canadiens fans "boo'd" the US National anthem over the Iraq situation a year ago, the team visited the Fleet Center and recieved a standing ovation for their national anthem.

And let's not forget about "Darrrrryllllllll"... Red Sox fans INVENTED the now widespread collective name taunt. We got that junkie to cry! Is a tip of the hat to us New Englander's whenever this is used too much to ask?

Don't hate us just becuase we're passionate about our teams. One could easily argue that Boston fans have more loyalty, wit, and passion than the fans in any other city in the nation.

Nick B.
01-27-2005, 05:48 PM
[ QUOTE ]
Alright, now don't get me wrong, most people up here are arseholes in general (I'm always amazed at how polite people are when I travel to thet midwest,) but the fans are top notch. We do take our sports quite seriously up here, but it's a major market. So many great moments in sports can be attributed to Boston Fans.

At the risk of getting slammed for bringing up the NHL, after the Montreal Canadiens fans "boo'd" the US National anthem over the Iraq situation a year ago, the team visited the Fleet Center and recieved a standing ovation for their national anthem.

And let's not forget about "Darrrrryllllllll"... Red Sox fans INVENTED the now widespread collective name taunt. We got that junkie to cry! Is a tip of the hat to us New Englander's whenever this is used too much to ask?

Don't hate us just becuase we're passionate about our teams. One could easily argue that Boston fans have more loyalty, wit, and passion than the fans in any other city in the nation.

[/ QUOTE ]

They are very humble too.